Im turning my basement into my own home studio/practice room. My general picture of how it would go is I would have a section for drums, guitar, and bass. Along with a part for all the recording gear.

My question is what exactly do i need. If I finish the room and all is well, and I have an empty room with drums, guitar, and bass, and a compy, what do I need to record.

I have a general Idea but I dont know if im leaving something out.
1. Microphones
(how many, what kind, and how many for drums)
2. Mixer
(how big, depending on the drum mics)
3. Software
(I have MAGIX Music Maker, so im all set)
4. Miccelaneous
(what else to get that really good sound such as mic filters, what kind of cords, ans all that good stuff)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Dewdadrew
Get a life.. you dont even know what you need so you DONT need a studio.. bye.

3. Software
(I have MAGIX Music Maker, so im all set)

HAHAHAHA.
sound proofed room for individual recordinsg (vocals, guitars bass)
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I cant really do that because that ill be way more work than nessasary, but im looking for a general list of everything ill need, along with suggestions. And to the other guy all you do is flame people, who can listen to you a******.
If you want to go all out, a mac may help
But you could buy those Boss BR/tascam/Whatever multi-track recordign deeleys, then look into shure mics I think the SM50 somethign is one to look into I'm not heavily into recording right now sorry, but I know soundproofing may help, like just the room.

Also when I saw the thread name I instantly took it in my head to be similar to the way people act on guitar builds, like "this is my second one I'm planning on using a different...."
lol. thanks for the advice. Shure SM50, ill take a look. And ive taken care of the room, ssoundproofing and all, but just need advice on equiptment.
Ah cool, and I don't htink it's exactly 50 it's some number which is in the 50s I've heard recomendations of the 50 somethign and the 60 something, well shure are a good mic company overall so you shouldnt really be going wrong with them.
being the drummer in your band i don't see the point in building a studio. We already have a way to record and unless you plan to be a garage band that is producing cd's out of your basement for the rest of your life we don't need one. and the input we'll be drastically greater than the return.
seriously, unless we are a gaarage band for the rest of our life we don't need a studio.
Quote by killmainstream
being the drummer in your band i don't see the point in building a studio. We already have a way to record and unless you plan to be a garage band that is producing cd's out of your basement for the rest of your life we don't need one. and the input we'll be drastically greater than the return.
seriously, unless we are a gaarage band for the rest of our life we don't need a studio.

Studios are great to practice in.
If you don't feel like buying the expensive studio foam, Try finding large ammounts of thick carpet to put around. This can also be used very effectively to make a vocal booth, simply by hanging 4 pieces down from the ceiling in a square. Otherwise there are places on the internet that sell regular foam that will work for cheap in bulk.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
You will need better software than magix music maker. Trust me.

Also, have you tried properly recording onto your computer yet? You may find your soundcard cannot cope so will need to upgrade that too. I hate latency so, so much.
Quote by dewdadrew
...And to the other guy all you do is flame people, who can listen to you a******.
No dude. Don't feed the troll.
Quote by Habs
Get a life.. you dont even know what you need so you DONT need a studio.. bye.

The only justification for that comment was to feed your own ego.
Not here, my friend. Not here.

*Reported*
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
the 58 is more of a vocal mic i believe. i use the 57 for guitar and for snare on drums. I also bought a drum mic pack which included a kick mic, 2 big condesers for overheads, a small one for the hats, a snare mic (i use the 57 AND this mic, one on top and one on the bottom) and then a bunch of tom mics with rim clips and everything. it was a great purchase i'm really happy with it.

i got a 24 channel mixer, but with all those drum mics it eats up channels fast and i actually couldn't record a full live situation (cuz not all the channels have xlr connections) i can do drums, bass and guitar live tho, just no room for vox.
as some people have already said, as far as mics go i would pick up a couple of sm57s and sm58, these are the most widely used mics and you should get very good results with them. another very important thing to have is you recording interface. dont use your computers sound card or it will sound awful no matter how nice of a studio you have. i would recommend a digidesign 002 interface, which comes with pro-tools, so that should solve the software problem. also if you get the light piped extra input unit for the 002 you can record up to 12 simultaneous tracks, i think, which should eliminate the need for a mixer right off the bat. also, a good pair of studio monitors is very important. what else do you need to know?
Egg cartons are also good for sound proofing much to the common myth that they don't.
Stick a closed box on the wall and it'll work wonders.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_ds1_4panel_acryl_absorber.htm

That could go well for drowing the drums from the other parts of the studio when playing.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
First of all, you'd be better of to post in some kind of studio forum.

For the drums, the Shure sm57 is THE mic for the snare, and works well for toms as well. AKG D112 is good for the bass drum.
The most common setup when micing a drum set is:
1. bass drum mic (duh) for the bass drum
2. Snare
3. Snare, from under the snare drum if you know what I mean
4. Tom 1
5. Tom 2
6. Tom 3
7. Overhead right
8. Overhead left ( or either way, 7 is left and 8 is right)

sm57 is also great for guitar amps, and the AKG D112 works well with bass amps. It's also common to line the bass.

Be prepared to pay LOTS of money for this, something like 80-100 dollars per microphone, and all the stands will cost a lot as well. Not to mention the insulation, and a good Vocal mic.

Some guy reccomended digidesign sound card, they work really good, I use an M-box. And, with that you also get pro tools, and some light verision of reason.

But, you can also just buy one sm58 and use it for everything, bass, guitar, drums and vocals. Be prepared for a very garage sound though...

My advice is that you think it over well, is it worth very much money, to have a (not very good compared to real) studio at home?
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
Quote by m_hedborg

My advice is that you think it over well, is it worth very much money, to have a (not very good compared to real) studio at home?

My point exactly, its not worth the money. especially seeing how he doen't have a job and the total money he is getting for christmas is $500 at best. and taking into account his close-minded egotastic self, he'd buy everything for guitar first before he buys a soundcard mics for drums, software or anything.
One more thing, not to be rude, but you really need to go read a book or something. If one does not know what a SM-58 is, one should not build a studio...
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
Im so sorry for the my above post. I wish I was as good as you. I wish I had a penis also. I know im not truely a man, but I was just wanted to be different. Please master, forgive me.
l00ks liek s0m1 gotz hax0rz!!!

haha. well i dont think you should build a studio. according to killmainstream, yall have a place to record. you said you wanted a place to practice, so...

sound proof all the walls and make it a decent place to practice. maybe put in a couch and a fridge. make it a nice place to hang out and play music
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i agree with ibanezguitars. just have the room soundproofed, nice caroet, a couch, bar fridge or fridle, table etc. nihts mood lighting to set the mood, and then your instruments. it could be a chill out place too. good luck

EDIT: if you didnt know the difference or even what an SM58 and 57 is, then you shouldn't be building a studio.
I think, a nice place to practise with a simple recording setup to put idea's on.
I've got an alesis i0|14. Its small, practical, has 4 inputs, and can easily be used with a laptop, and i use it to record simple idea's onto. It was pretty cheap too. and just uses cubase as the softwear
Saves spending shedloads on equiptment you don't really need which is infact really expensive.

Just make it a cool place to hang out, a nice place to play music, with a laptop and something like my alesis.