I am relicing my plastic parts because the nitro is starting to fade on the guitar so i figured id let the body go naturally ( should only be a short while longer ) and i d do the plastcs themselves, i soaked all the parts in coffee then let them dry, then heated really quick over my stove ( gas stove )... the pickguard didnt stain at all so i was wondering what is a good way to stain it, heres what i got so far:
Last edited by mercinariesgtr at Nov 20, 2007,
How strong was the coffee? If I'm remembering correctly, pickguards don't take the coffee as easily as the pickup covers or knobs. Try making the coffee twice as strong, and throw in a couple of tea bags.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i dont think anyone is going to know what your talking about. im clueless. none of my guitar parts would never be in coffee or near the stove.
i know what he's talking about.

it looks decent. good job.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Nice job - is that a Highway One strat?

For staining the pickguard I'd rub on a little bit of yellow or brown woodstain, spread it out, and then rub it off straight away. Your guitar looks pretty good now though, so whatever you do, don't overdo it...!
Check out relicdeluxe.com for more - they've got some decent tutorials and tips.
Quote by kyle62
Nice job - is that a Highway One strat?

For staining the pickguard I'd rub on a little bit of yellow or brown woodstain, spread it out, and then rub it off straight away. Your guitar looks pretty good now though, so whatever you do, don't overdo it...!
Check out relicdeluxe.com for more - they've got some decent tutorials and tips.

yah its a highway one, i ve had it for about 6 months and i can see pretty much through where my arm comes over the top and on the back where my belt and such goes so i figure another few months and that ll be set worse comes worse i ll accellerate it a bit but not much and i did check out that site it seems pretty helpful, i ll go to acehaardware tommorow. I dont plan on overdoing it cuz i dont want it to look fake like a lotta what people do.
^but Eddie Van Halen's frankenstrat has it... and on the back of the neck it says: "This Is My ****" so he doesn't mix it up with his replicas that he got.

Clapton's blackie has it too.

if ur gonna do cigarette burns, get it naturally. not just push it on.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i will not be putting any burns on my guitar unless i accidently do it smoking while playing guitar whic is pretty unlikely seeing as i dont smoke butts
does anyone know how much i would hurt my guitars value if i decided to do relicing to the body, i wont go overboard i just want a sublte relic throughout the guitar because i love the look of the older relicd guitars ( at least the ones on relic deluxe and the custom shops that dont look fake ) ...also how much is it to repaint the guitar w/ nitro if i decide i wanna sell it or something
so i just got done relicing it a lot i decided to go ahead and sand it cuz i really like th eguitar and dont plan on selling it plus repainting isnt too expensive so heres the guitar...i just wanna know how do i get the black dings and such on it, i cant figure out how to ding it with something that leaves color. All i need to do now is use a buffer wheel on it( all ive done is wipe off the powder), relic the pickguard and add those dents
the pics:

Nice!
I'm glad you haven't overdone it, although at the moment it looks like an obvious relic job - kinda like when you get a haircut and it takes a few days before it starts to look natural....

What you need to do now though, is buff the body up again and do a bit of finish checking ( you can use a hair dryer or lighter, and a can of compressed air).
Also, one other thing Fender always do is tapping a bunch of keys against the body to get a good variety of dents and scratches.
Quote by kyle62
Nice!
I'm glad you haven't overdone it, although at the moment it looks like an obvious relic job - kinda like when you get a haircut and it takes a few days before it starts to look natural....

What you need to do now though, is buff the body up again and do a bit of finish checking ( you can use a hair dryer or lighter, and a can of compressed air).
Also, one other thing Fender always do is tapping a bunch of keys against the body to get a good variety of dents and scratches.

yah well its 12:10( am) so i cant exactly buff it out right now and i need to age the pick guard and tremolo guard then i think it ll be good, i ll work on the finish checking but seeing as i live w/ my father there are no hair dryers around.
edit::dont think i l lbe doing any checking cuz i cant seem to find any strats that have it, anyways this has a nitro finish so idk how well it d work
Last edited by mercinariesgtr at Nov 21, 2007,