...I just really don't know what I'm getting.
I have a birthday coming up soon, and I've been promised a new guitar as long as it doesn't cost any more than $400 (give or take $30 or $40). And what recently caught my eye was an Epi Les Paul standard, I read some raving reviews about it, even some tone Nazis that I know said they can only tell a slight difference between the Epi and the Gibson LP sound, but really, for my money, I'd rather have "Gibson" printed on the headstock, but that costs 3 times as much....
And I really wouldn't like having Gibson snobs turning their heads at me whenever I play a gig.

So then I found the Fender Mexican strat, those got really REALLY good reviews, but as far as I've been played, Strats don't really suit what I play, which is everything. However a big plus (in my book) with the Mexi Strat:

Brand Name.

I'm also a big fan of Ibanez, they are the guitars with which I learned to play, but I want a little more variety in my collection. So any advice?
Oh, and if it helps you guys any my playing styles include (but are not limited to):

Bluegrass
Celtic
Metal (all sorts)
Grunge
Punk
Progressive
Classic Rock
Industrial
Alternative
Southern Rock
Southern Hardcore
Funk
and Rapcore
michael kelly and ibanez

edit: michael kelly guitar is the best bang for the buck ive found lately
Last edited by just17n8 at Nov 18, 2007,
to be honest go for the mex strat but get the hss style it basically fits all your needs in one, plus its fender so that mean quality. and then maybe replace the bridge pickup to a sd hot rail, its supposed to be a awesome combination which i plan on doing for myself after i get my hss strat soon. and if u wanna take it a step further in the metal direction u can replace the humbucker with a sd invader but first get the guitar.
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
go with the strat. or maybe a tele?
and btw, don't let brand name decide what guitar you want. if people will turn their heads from you at a gig because your headstock says epiphone instead of gibson, those people should surgically have their testicles removed
gibson melody maker dude
theres your gibson logo and a lp body basically
other than that mabey a jackson though, they have good tones for most of those styles you listed
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Strats are reknown for their usability ...
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi
Do it once, it's a mistake.

Keep doing it, it's Jazz.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
if your looking for a guitar that is a very good overall guitar that will really last and isnt a wallet breaker you should choose a michael kelly. my guitar teacher has one and he prefers it sometimes over his fender highway one strat.
Main Admin and creator of Chicnstu.
-Peavey + Washburn Amps
-Zakk Wylde Overdrive Distortion stompbox
-EVH Phase-90 Phaser stompbox
-Crybaby Limited Edition Wah
-Crybaby 535Q Wah
-Crybaby Slash Wah
-Coffin Blood Drive Distortion stompbox
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
gibson melody maker dude
theres your gibson logo and a lp body basically
other than that mabey a jackson though, they have good tones for most of those styles you listed

But its a melody maker, it only has two single coil pickups, which makes it (in my opinion) even more limited than the strat.

Quote by killsPEACHES
go with the strat. or maybe a tele?
and btw, don't let brand name decide what guitar you want. if people will turn their heads from you at a gig because your headstock says epiphone instead of gibson, those people should surgically have their testicles removed

We have a lot of music Nazis here, specifically the fans of Bluegrass and Southern Hardcore.
Brand name isn't entirely deciding what I want, just partially.
Quote by The Silent Fool
But its a melody maker, it only has two single coil pickups, which makes it (in my opinion) even more limited than the strat.

We have a lot of music Nazis here, specifically the fans of Bluegrass and Southern Hardcore.
Brand name isn't entirely deciding what I want, just partially.

actually from what i heard those melody makers are pretty sweet for all kinds of music but ive never used one so i dont know for sure , i dont know exactly how 2 single pickups will hold up either
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Quote by The Silent Fool
That was about as helpful as wiping before you take a dump

SIGGED!!

i recommend sum sort of epiphone... i know u want the gibson name but for the wide variety of music u play, i would suggest an epi.
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
seriously, the epiphone les paul standard is pretty good if you pick out a good one, i mean, yeah, you'll want to replace the pickups down the line, but it will play and sound really nice if you're into LP's and all, and don't let the name make you feel bad about the guitar, if someone judges you and your playing based on what guitar you have, they're fool's, i like to play blues with an ibanez RG with dimarzio's, i've gotten some wierd looks, lol, but they always like the songs

i honestly, the only thing i really hate about mexican strats and tele's is i feel really crippled with only 21 frets, the epiphone les paul is more bang for the buck in my opinion