American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 19, 2007,
ha, some cool shots there man, what kind of camera?
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by senor_penguin
ha, some cool shots there man, what kind of camera?
Thanks! It's just a lame-ass, point-and-shoot Kodak C663!
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

why not try this?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by Alexander_BR
Serious amp is serious. Only pit monkeys will understand, but the amp looks like a serious face now.
EXACTLY! You got it! It's like having a badgeless grille on a Camaro or a Mustang! It makes the car look mean.

Quote by t heff
why not try this?
You have to potentially damage your facia to do this.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 18, 2007,
facia?

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by t heff
facia?
The wood facia that the grille is attached to. It's not screwed in, it's nailed into some fragile wood blocks inside the cabinet. Also, the metal grille itself is stapled in. It takes a bit of surgery to do this, and you may split the wood "wings" on the grille piece (facia) that hold the part inside the front of the cavity of the head while trying to remove it.

EXACTLY! You got it! It's like having a badgeless grille on a Camaro or a Mustang! It makes the car look mean.
In fact maybe it's just my opinion, but I reckon that amp would look even meaner if you stuck an actual Mustang badge on it...

Anyway, good work! Pointless, but good.
Quote by kyle62
In fact maybe it's just my opinion, but I reckon that amp would look even meaner if you stuck an actual Mustang badge on it . . . Anyway, good work! Pointless, but good.
I think the signature badge on the left, and the '6505' badge on the right, are just the right graphical treatment for this head. I don't think making things look cool is pointless—it's what I do for a living! Besides, I've heard that the 6505 logo-delete mod makes it sound "warmer."

you gave me something to do for next weekend haha.

I wanna do this to my cab. Thats the Killswitch cover of As Daylight Dies. It's gonna be tough to do in one cab (instead of 4). Idk ill give a try with paper first.
Attachments:
kse cab.JPG
Quote by Pabli7o

I wanna do this to my cab. Thats the Killswitch cover of As Daylight Dies. It's gonna be tough to do in one cab (instead of 4). Idk ill give a try with paper first.
I LIKE IT! Now, you've inspired ME to get going on my Hello Kitty Strat customization project! But, I really think you oughta go balls-out, and buy three more 4x12 cabinets!

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
I think the signature badge on the left, and the '6505' badge on the right, are just the right graphical treatment for this head. I don't think making things look cool is pointless—it's what I do for a living! Here's a more dramatic photo comparison:

Before:
http://www.24framefilms.com/6505-B1.jpg

After:.
http://www.24framefilms.com/6505-7.jpg

Very nice!
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by LEVEL4
I LIKE IT! Now, you've inspired ME to get going on my Hello Kitty Strat customization project! But, I really think you oughta go balls-out, and buy three more 4x12 cabinets!

BALLZZZZ TO DA WALL!!! haha chill chill yo.

ahaha

Dont they already have a Hello Kitty Strat? Anyways im so doing it next weekend. First gotta buy something to cover the holes. What you say?
i don't get it. What's so great about that?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Stick an original 5150 logo on it. Is that possible in any way btw? I really want to do it to mine, the 5150 logo is soo much nicer!
I just thought of something that killed the whole idea of debagement.... warranty? I dont think they will ever ever give you a new one if something happens to yours but wouldnt they be bitching about it if you had to return it to them for repair or something (i returned mine 3 months after i bought cause it started to sound like crap).

Anyways.
Quote by Pabli7o

why would you copy someone else's design? make your own and you will have something unique unlike trying to copy some other dude..

anyway, i debadged my blue voodoo classic and everybody was asking what kind of amp it was. when its crap like crate or peavey debadging is awesome, but i would never do it to a top quality amp
Quote by hopespaul
why would you copy someone else's design? make your own and you will have something unique unlike trying to copy some other dude..

anyway, i debadged my blue voodoo classic and everybody was asking what kind of amp it was. when its crap like crate or peavey debadging is awesome, but i would never do it to a top quality amp

That picture is from a killwsitch concert... and i'd be doing it because im a big fan of them. "Why would you play other people's songs? write your own."

De badging an amp wont take its sound quality. So a crate will never be confused with a 6505 if they both ook just PLAIN. But like you said it has its pro.
Its like the mustang example above. You dont need the mustang horse to know its a Ford Mustang.

Im gonna start looking for other custom amps.
Quote by hopespaul

oh no mate peavey is by no means crap at all.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by jscustomguitars
Id fill the screw holes with wood filler and paint it em black to hide em
The vent cover panel is actually covered in a thin black vinyl, so filling it wouldn't really work. I think it looks fine with the "dummy" screws, actually. Plus, I can always mount a custom badge there too, if I ever decided to do that.

Quote by Pabli7o
I just thought of something that killed the whole idea of debagement . . . warranty?
Don't worry, I can easily put it back on, and they'd never know.

Quote by Pabli7o
I dont think they will ever ever give you a new one if something happens to yours but wouldnt they be bitching about it if you had to return it to them for repair or something (i returned mine 3 months after i bought cause it started to sound like crap.
Really? How did it start sounding? How did you know something was wrong? Did you ever find out what exactly was wrong? How was Peavey service to deal with?

Quote by hopespaul
Yeah, I've never liked the Peavey logo very much. It also clashed like hell with the "Marshall" logo on the cabinet beneath—it just looked weird.

It does have that "mystery" amp flavor now. It's far from a crap amp, but I know what you mean. No one would even THINK of debadging a Soldano.

Quote by eddiehimself

peavey 5150/6505 is a nice piece of equipment, but it is no match for quality amplifiers like mesa triple rec. or soldano.

all other peavey equipment is pretty much crap though

i'd still choose a peavey over those because of it's price to quality ratio.
Quote by Alexander_BR
Serious amp is serious.

Only pit monkeys will understand, but the amp looks like a serious face now.

Actually people from 4chan will understand. Most of the stuff in the pit is just trickle-down from /b/ to the rest of the internet.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by eddiehimself

Me too. Thats what i thought he meant.
Quote by LEVEL4

Don't worry, I can easily put it back on, and they'd never know.

Really? How did it start sounding? How did you know something was wrong? Did you ever find out what exactly was wrong? How was Peavey service to deal with?

Duh haha you're right. Just put it back in. Can you explain the dummy screw? I dont want it to look like something was there.

It was muddy, bassy and extra extra distorted. After 8 weeks service, i got it back and they said they touched up solder, tightened grounds and reseated connectors and tubes. Whatever all that means. I don't know if they said that just to show that they did something. It sounds better now but now i then i get an static sound when i palm mute...maybe cause i play on .75 (i knowww, mad low) I cant play higher than 1 cause the floor shakes and i live on a second floor. Serious.
Quote by LEVEL4
The wood facia that the grille is attached to. It's not screwed in, it's nailed into some fragile wood blocks inside the cabinet. Also, the metal grille itself is stapled in. It takes a bit of surgery to do this, and you may split the wood "wings" on the grille piece (facia) that hold the part inside the front of the cavity of the head while trying to remove it.

thats sucks, for me its sad to know that i can build a better chassis then peavey, and dude who said not to debadge a soldano? why not, whats in a name?

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
i like it when i go to a gig and see an ampwith no badge because its mysterious. and i often wonder for days later what amp the guy was playign becaus eit sounded good. i think many amps look good without a badge.
Quote by Dores
Stick an original 5150 logo on it. Is that possible in any way btw? I really want to do it to mine, the 5150 logo is soo much nicer!
Anything's possible with enough time and attention to detail. If you can't order an actual '5150' logo plate from Peavey, you could make one yourself, although it would take a bit of skill and knowledge.

You would need to silkscreen, transfer-type, or dry-ink transfer a tightly-kerned '5150' in a Helvetica Black typeface onto a piece of black something. They make a black plastic material for signage that would be fine (forget what it's called). Black anodized aluminum would be way more awesome, however. Aluminum is actually pretty inexpensive. You could go to a local sheet metal shop, and they'd probably give you a piece that small for free. But, then you'd have to take it to a plating shop to have it black-anodized. Actually, black, powder-coated steel plate is probably what Peavey actually uses for its nameplates.

Once you have the part, pilot the original holes, and drill them into your fabricated logo plate, mount, and voila! But, I think the asymmetrical graphical treatment of the 6505s are even nicer. The '5150' was bit too '5150' for my tastes. But, if I see another 5150 in person somewhere, I'll check it out to see how easy/difficult this would actually be to do, and see if I can't suggest some easier method to do this for you. First, I would recommend you call Peavey, and ask if they'll sell you the '5150' plate.

Quote by james4
I'm liking that last picture . . . Makes it look much better.
Thanks! I agree! I'm VERY happy with the amp's cosmetics now. That Peavey logo was bugging the sh*t outta me.

Quote by Pabli7o
Dont they already have a Hello Kitty Strat?
Yeah, and I'm thinking of buying one. In pink.

Quote by Pabli7o
Anyways im so doing it next weekend. First gotta buy something to cover the holes. What you say?
What holes? The speaker holes? The holes in the grille cloth? Butcher paper and painter's tape? Are you just going to make a paper stencil, and spray-paint the cloth? You could actually have the cloth silk-screened, but that would run you about $200 minimum, I think.

Quote by Pabli7o
It was muddy, bassy and extra extra distorted. After 8 weeks service, i got it back and they said they touched up solder, tightened grounds and reseated connectors and tubes. Whatever all that means. I don't know if they said that just to show that they did something. It sounds better now but now i then i get an static sound when i palm mute...maybe cause i play on .75 (i knowww, mad low) I cant play higher than 1 cause the floor shakes and i live on a second floor. Serious.
Whoa! That sucks ass, dude! Eight weeks? That's TWO F*CKING MONTHS WITHOUT YOUR AMP!!! Really sorry that happened. The static could be another loose ground, but I'm certainly no electronics expert.

Quote by b00m_
i like it when i go to a gig and see an ampwith no badge because its mysterious. and i often wonder for days later what amp the guy was playign becaus eit sounded good. i think many amps look good without a badge.
EXACTLY! Yeah, I love that "mystery" amp look. This totally works with cars, too. I have an all-black car, and it's TOTALLY debadged and delogo'd—very stealthy.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 20, 2007,
noice. this is pretty chill. r u planning to put a custom logo on it in place?

or r u gonna spell out something from 'Marshall'???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
noice. this is pretty chill. r u planning to put a custom logo on it in place?
Thanks, EC! No, probably not. I think it looks pretty good plain like that. I MAY do something ELSE, though . . .

nice. i'm keeping my new neck's headstock plain too. i love it plain, cuz i can see more of the flame maple.

good stuff.

how does it sound? does it sound compressed because u took off the plate?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by hopespaul
peavey 5150/6505 is a nice piece of equipment, but it is no match for quality amplifiers like mesa triple rec. or soldano.

all other peavey equipment is pretty much crap though

i'd still choose a peavey over those because of it's price to quality ratio.

How dare you sir ! Sound wise 5150/6505's are just as good as the likes of Mesa's and Soldano's, the build quality and quality control might not be up there but i'd rather play a Peavey than either of em. Ive had everything there is out there, Diezel's, Mesa's, Saldano's, Bogner's, the lot and ive always gone back to Peaveys.

To say that all other Peavey stuff is crap is ridiculous. The JSX for example is a killer amp, next on my list actually.
Quote by Pabli7o
holy crap thats a lot of work...im half way there.... i dont have a stapler....so i dont know if i should do it now.
Well, if you're interested, I can tell you how I did mine.

I bought a "blemished" 6505 head. I didn't know what the blemish was until I tried to pull the front grille out from the front. One of the wood blocks, into which the front grille piece is nailed, was already split on one side, and about to split on the other side. So I literally broke the other side, and split the other wood block completely. So, the front grille came out with only a little pulling. It went back in fine, with just enough friction to hold it in place.

Since yours in probably still intact, you would first unscrew the rear grille. Then you could insert a piece of wood (e.g., 1"x 2") from the rear of the cabinet, and then hit the wood with a hammer to force the front grille out of its nailed-in position, basically "pushing" the grille's nails "out" of the wood blocks, attached to the cabinet.

One thing I did to save some time, was, I only pulled the staples from one side of the grille (the "skinny" side). I then pulled the grille edge up, just enough to slide the unscrewed Peavey logo plate out. Then, I bent the grille back into shape with a piece of flat metal. I didn't re-staple it. The slight outward bend actually helps keep the grille piece in place, adding a little outward tension toward the cabinet frame.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 24, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4

Since yours in probably still intact, you would first unscrew the rear grille. Then you could insert a piece of wood (e.g., 1"x 2") from the rear of the cabinet, and then hit the wood with a hammer to force the front grille out of its nailed-in position, basically "pushing" the grille's nails "out" of the wood blocks, attached to the cabinet.

One thing I did to save some time, was, I only pulled the staples from one side of the grille (the "skinny" side). I then pulled the grille edge up, just enough to slide the unscrewed Peavey logo plate out. Then, I bent the grille back into shape with a piece of flat metal. I didn't re-staple it. The slight outward bend actually helps keep the grille piece in place, adding a little outward tension toward the cabinet frame.

Yeah thats how i got it out, One side was easy cause i did it with my hand(from the rear). but on the other side there's a transformer, or whatever it is, on the way. so i pulled one said and bent the nails on the other (but i straightened them back).

Then i realized how the grill front was held in place when i decided not to do it. I cant unscrew them without taking the grill off because the hole of the grill dont match (are not lined up with) the screws on the logo.
BUTTTT yesterday i was decorating for christmas at my job (hahaha) and my boss had a staple gun to staple lights around window/door frames. So when we are done with it ill asking him if i could use it.

Problem solved. Thanks!

On another topic. When you took those pictures. Did you use some flash equip. or something? how did you get the lightning of it (idk photographic terms for it). It looks really professional. i wanted to know how can i do it if, unlike you, i dont take pictures for a living.
Last edited by Pabli7o at Nov 25, 2007,
Hey, I debadged my peavey as well when I built a new chassis for it! Now it sounds almost as sick as it looks.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!