I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and was wondering how to go about with the process. Should I have a professional install it such as at guitar center or should i do it myself.? The pickups i'm looking to put in wont be that expensive, probably $50-100. I'm not entirely sure what brand, maybe EMG or Dimarzio.
well, just so you get all the crap out of the way, pick-ups on that guitar won't do much with out you telling us what amp, but back to your question.

DO NOT HAVE GUITAR CENTER INSTALL YOUR PICK-UPS!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!! unless you have no clue what your doing, don't no any one that is good with electronics, or have the money to do so. It's not worth it. Do it yourself.

All you have to do is take the strings off, unsolder the wires to the pick-ups, remove the pick-up(s). Place the pick-up(s) in the cavity(guide the wires down) then solder to the tone/volume pots. your all set.

For the pick-ups, please tell us what type of music you play
unless its you've had experience, and your noy afraid of mauling your guitar(worst case senario), i'd have it done professionally.

(personally, i'd just get a better guitar, but thats not what you asked :peace )
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by EVHFrankenstein
Well, I have a Line 6 Spider III. I play mostly Rock and Metal.

Although most people are going to tell you to invest in a new amp, unless you're planning on gigging soon I wouldn't bother. Even though they do sound rather bland and lifeless, they are good for a practice amp.
Don't spend too much on pickups, and definitely not EMG's. Maybe look into a SD Jazz or something along those lines.

Don't pay anybody else to install your pickups for you. There's a video on the SD site for installing pickups, and any other information is easily available on the net.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
You quite obviously haven't done any research.

You amp, the Line6 Spider III to be put bluntly, it sucks. Those amps are well known for theyre over pricing for what you get, an SS amp that sounds lifeless and bland compared to other amps in lower price ranges. AND it wont react to a change in pickups much, if at all.

The EMG pickups, while being great active pickups, sound much worse than they should on an SS amp, especially one like the Spider.

Save your money, buy a better amp (VOX, Roland, mabye even a Blues Jr.)
Hey, i actually just got done putting new pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Special II on saturday (Because the stock pickups suck, but hey, it was my first guitar) And trust me, if you can use a soldering Iron with any skill (Or know someone) you can put pickups in yourself. However, i would suggest passive pickups, because there is no space at all to put in a battery case for EMG's, unless you want to be drilling holes yourself (I didn't, but i am now considering putting in a killswitch, so i may be drilling a hole or two.)

My advice is, look for a nice set of passive pickups.I'm no experts on pickups though, i got mine off of Guitar Fetish and i'm really liking the sound (I got a P-90 for the neck and a Fat PAF humbucker for the bridge.) Still, try to find out what type of pickups your influences use.

But if you do get EMG's (for the price, i'd rather just buy a new guitar) have it done professionally. I still don't think i would trust anyone to drill holes in my guitar.

I've heard nothing but good things about Seymour Duncan's though, and that's what people are talking about when they say SD.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.
Blah, Dont let the word "Active" scare you... I'd only avoid them if you know theres absolutely no room for a battery, and you know you dont want to do any drilling what so ever.
Trust me, I know how EMGs sound like with a Line 6 Spider... its quite a terrible combination trust me... but thats for the bridge position, and this is a question pertaining to the neck pickup. I know your looking for that smooth, long sustaining sound that you've heard and need, I understand that completely, and I believe your headed in the right direction.
Now, you would be headed in the wrong direction if you were talking about getting an '81 for the bridge.... (Line 6 Spiders + EMG in bridge= A terribly muddy No no. ) If your hearts really set on this, then go for the '85 or even the '89.
(neck that is)

However I would suggest investing the $$ in a new amp.. and then if your still absolutely in love with your ax, then you can go with an EMG in the neck, just dont forget about the drilling...

I would go with the '89 for the neck, have the option of activating only 1 of the 2 coils, so you can get pretty nice cleans as well, otherwise its the same as the '85 when both coils are active.
Last edited by SamZee at Nov 19, 2007,
Wow, I didn't know the Line 6 spider III was hated so much. I thought it sounded pretty solid, especially for only $100.
Quote by EVHFrankenstein
Wow, I didn't know the Line 6 spider III was hated so much. I thought it sounded pretty solid, especially for only $100.

Well, it DOES have quite a bad reputation. On the other hand, a lot of people are just jumping on the bandwagon without actually ever hearing one. In the same price category, there is the Vox Valvetronix and the Roland Cube's - both of which do a much better job at modelling.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
neither tube nor solid state, its digital which is closest to solid state, but an old mosfet solid state amp is hte cleenest thing u'll ever find and u can get a good used 100watter for 100 bucks and they sound pretty good gut now much warmth to them thats all (cuz its not a tube, so no warm full sound ), and dude bolt on neck joints suck you basicly like made bad choices on gear im afraid, and you can get alot better stuff for alot less, like i got a strat copy for 70 that plays and sounds better then my american strat, do your reasearch
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
neither tube nor solid state, its digital which is closest to solid state, but an old mosfet solid state amp is hte cleenest thing u'll ever find and u can get a good used 100watter for 100 bucks and they sound pretty good gut now much warmth to them thats all (cuz its not a tube, so no warm full sound ), and dude bolt on neck joints suck you basicly like made bad choices on gear im afraid, and you can get alot better stuff for alot less, like i got a strat copy for 70 that plays and sounds better then my american strat, do your reasearch and never get emgs they suck

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by t heff
neither tube nor solid state, its digital which is closest to solid state, but an old mosfet solid state amp is hte cleenest thing u'll ever find and u can get a good used 100watter for 100 bucks and they sound pretty good gut now much warmth to them thats all (cuz its not a tube, so no warm full sound ), and dude bolt on neck joints suck you basicly like made bad choices on gear im afraid, and you can get alot better stuff for alot less, like i got a strat copy for 70 that plays and sounds better then my american strat, do your reasearch

Do you even know what your saying?
#1 Bolt on necks don't suck
#2 Strats have bolt on necks! and you say that you own 2
#3 Don't critize other peoples gear and tell them to research when you have no clue what you are talking about
#4 you can have both tube and solid state modeling amps...
Quote by Bandrew
#3 Don't critize other peoples gear and tell them to research when you have no clue what you are talking about

+1 on all points. My bolt-on necked Schecter has more sustain than most set-neck LP copies I've ever payed.
again guys it all personal preference... if you want emg's for the actives then go for it.. i would suggest for the actives seymore duncan blackouts... they have a better tone and sound great on either tube or solid state amps.

your amp is what you got so i would go ahead and just replace the pup because if nothing else it gives you experience...

but yeah i woulold suggest passives because they are easier and there isnt much to them. go for the SD jazz for great sustain... i also like the SD '59 i think it sounds great... and anything from Guitar fetish is gonna sound better then the pups you have now so that may be an option because its less expensive and you may want better gear by then!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Quote by Bandrew

dude line 6 spider 3 is a digital amp not a solid state or a tube amp and moddling amps that have tubes usualy just have the tubes drive the sound ie that vox one, and bolt necks do suck, yes i realize strats have them yes i realize my american strat has one, my copy however does not. i actualy am quite aware what your talknig about and even more aware what im talknig about

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
A good bolt-on neck will have just as much sustain as a set neck.
By good, I mean a REALLY tight neck pocket. I can pick up my strat by it's neck, with no bolts in, and it'll stay in the pocket.
No need to keep myths going....

And digital...meaning it uses a solid state path. It's a solid state modeling amp...
Quote by forsaknazrael
A good bolt-on neck will have just as much sustain as a set neck.
By good, I mean a REALLY tight neck pocket. I can pick up my strat by it's neck, with no bolts in, and it'll stay in the pocket.
No need to keep myths going....

And digital...meaning it uses a solid state path. It's a solid state modeling amp...

i never once said anything about sustain a tight neck pocket is what equals sustain bolts just suck because it means that there is a transition , on a strat its a huge block , there is the aanj which is a small transition but still nt has the best becaust u can sculpt it all the way out

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by t heff
dude line 6 spider 3 is a digital amp not a solid state or a tube amp and moddling amps that have tubes usualy just have the tubes drive the sound ie that vox one, and bolt necks do suck, yes i realize strats have them yes i realize my american strat has one, my copy however does not. i actualy am quite aware what your talknig about and even more aware what im talknig about

A modeling amp with tubes is a tube amp... amp as is amplifier or the thing that makes the guitar play through a speaker. Well, in solid state amp the thing the produces the power is not tubes but instead a circit board other wise known as solid state. You can't have just a digital amp, if you just have the digital all you have is basicly a digital multieffect pedal. The point is the modeling part of an amp just acts a preamp for the amp, the amp can then be either solid state or tube, but it can never be digital...
I'm sure we can all agree a bad bolt-on joint (filled with finish, not tight at all) is horrible. You know, the kinds found on lower end models.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Bandrew
A modeling amp with tubes is a tube amp... amp as is amplifier or the thing that makes the guitar play through a speaker. Well, in solid state amp the thing the produces the power is not tubes but instead a circit board other wise known as solid state. You can't have just a digital amp, if you just have the digital all you have is basicly a digital multieffect pedal. The point is the modeling part of an amp just acts a preamp for the amp, the amp can then be either solid state or tube, but it can never be digital...

No a modeling amp with tubes doesn't mean it's a tube amp.
The Spider Valve would be a tube amp with modeling.
The Vox Valvetronix series would be a hybrid amp with modeling.
The Marshall AVT is a hybrid amp, not much more than a solid state.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No a modeling amp with tubes doesn't mean it's a tube amp.
The Spider Valve would be a tube amp with modeling.
The Vox Valvetronix series would be a hybrid amp with modeling.
The Marshall AVT is a hybrid amp, not much more than a solid state.

It does if it has tubes in the power producing section. I'm not talking about tubes in the preamp section.

edit: I guess an amp with tubes techiclly is a hybrid if it only tubes in the preamp or the power section.

I think that I didn't really say it very clearly, but I was never talking about a tube preamp in my previous post.
Last edited by Bandrew at Nov 21, 2007,
Quote by Bandrew

crown makes digital power amps , that are not solid state , there is a diffrence, one contains a computer one does not and crown digital power amps defentaly are not moddling

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182