I trying to start getting more into songwriting since I just formed a band with some of my friends and I was wondering if it is a bad idea to use the same chords in both the verse and the chorus if they are ina different order?

For example:
The chords for verse of the song that I am writing are C G Am7 F and the chords for the chorus are F C G Am7

Would it be a bad idea to do this i.e. sounding too bland? And if so would adding a bridge between the two help. That is what I have been trying do but don't quite know what chords to use. Thaks for any help.
Last edited by mrweiner at Nov 18, 2007,
it's never a bad idea, nobody can tell you how to write your songs but you.
Smells Like teen Spirit uses the same 4 chords almost endlessly with only a couple exceptions, and there are countless songs that do the same
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
It's how you use them, giving us the names of the chords is not sufficient to tell, it will work or it won't, which of the two is up to you.

As for the idea of same chords - 1 band - Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
Who reads sigs anyway
yeah, most songs actually have the same chords in different orders. this just happens cause when the songs are written, everything's put into a key, ya know? so i dont think it matters.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
alright, well i guess then that the better question would be what kind of 4 chord progression to use as a bridge between the two F's, becuase it sounds kind of awkard with two next to eachother. I've been trying to think of some but I am having a real brain block.
Quote by Blash
Don't worry about it, it's you're song, you can do whatever you want.

And as far as I know, theres a Beatles song that only has one chord (C).

Yeah that's Tommorow Never Knows.

And to the threadstarter, tons of the most popular songs have used only a few chords over and over, so you should go for it.
Megan Fox nude!

Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE
I would suggest that you make a strong dynamic contrast between verse and chorus. I'm trying to do this with my 'band'. Our spare guitarist wrote a four powerchord song, E5 C5 G5 D5, always the same order, always the same simple '1 and' rhythm. I see it as a challenge to make a boring song not boring by adding interesting dynamics and textures.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
i was playing with 4 chords today and i thought, rather than figure a chorus, i would finger pick/arpeggiate the chords in the verse and strum, or maybe use distortion in the chorus.

same chords, but a much different effect.

in fact, thats what i'll do... look out for "Piece #7" in my sig, in a few days when i get an hour to record it