Page 1 of 2
lack of decent volume control

curse you my wretched frontman 15g, curse you
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Poor sound (which includes bad distortion, lack of sensitivity, colorless tone, etc.), bad speaker, poor reliability, noisy, inconsistent performance, etc.
Hi, I'm Peter
if it doesnt get the tone or vibe you like, then its not for you. but the above mentioned reliability problems.
If it starts sounding like a cat being run over by a lawn mower when you try to crank it, I'm pretty sure it sucks.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
The tendency to change presets and tones on it's own ~__~

-Kick@Spider III.-
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I can almost garranty if it has mg in the title it is the sum of all horrid sounds
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by IXI Streak IXI
If it starts sounding like a cat being run over by a lawn mower when you try to crank it, I'm pretty sure it sucks.

what if i want to write a guitar part and want a bridge where it sounds like a cat being run over by a lawn mower?
Quote by TehJermie
what if i want to write a guitar part and want a bridge where it sounds like a cat being run over by a lawn mower?

Catch your neighbor's cat and staple it to your lawn, then fire up the mower. I've had the best luck placing the microphone 2-3 feet away and bumping the high-mids a bit.
Quote by Roc8995
Catch your neighbor's cat and staple it to your lawn, then fire up the mower. I've had the best luck placing the microphone 2-3 feet away and bumping the high-mids a bit.

what breed of cat will sound more scooped? tabby, or a persian?
whn it haz no t00bz!1
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by TehJermie
what breed of cat will sound more scooped? tabby, or a persian?

Scooped mids? There's only one.
Longcat.
wow.
Longcat IS long!
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Poor sound (which includes bad distortion, lack of sensitivity, colorless tone, etc.), bad speaker, poor reliability, noisy, inconsistent performance, etc.

That describes my little ****ty Fender Frontman perfectly ...I need a new amp.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by The Virtuoso
That describes my little ****ty Fender Frontman perfectly ...I need a new amp.

i play through a lot of vintage tube amps and i use one of those little "crappy" strat pack amps for recording. panned about 40/60 with another distorted amp, its just filthy. i love it!
If the amp sounds bad.

Durrr....
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
The letters MG in the product name.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
If the amp tries to kill you and run off with your sister. I'm pretty sure that makes it a bad amp.

Also, the quality of the components. Also, digital amps kill your sound.
just about any amp with onboard dfx. Except Switchblade. And vetta. and...screw it.

forget that

If it says spider
I'm hungry.
an S.S. amp that has different model modes (the spider series "crunch" "metal" "Insane" settings) You can't switch these on the fly with the footswitch without the volume dropping out or going insanely loud.

Amps that have horrible built in effects are also annoying. What's the point of having a built in noise gate if it doesn't even work that well?

Basically if the amp has horrible effects, isn't as versatile as you'd like, or has MG or SPIDER written on it, then the result? a crappy amp.
if the people of UG jump on a bandwagon of hating it
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
I love my MG100DFX....

Have none of you heard the reverb on one of those things!?....My God it's good. My poor amp, hated by the world.
Quote by PurpleFlavoured
I love my MG100DFX....

Have none of you heard the reverb on one of those things!?....My God it's good. My poor amp, hated by the world.

i like the reverb on the mg30 i had, its just the rest of it that i hated
All right.
UGers don't hate ALL MG's. They just hate it when people spend few hundreds of dollars on a big 100 w practice halfstack when they can get a tube combo with comparable volume and much much better tone at the same price. I don't mind the little MG's, they're OK practice amps, and thats it. The halfstack is basically a big practice amp, which defeats the point of getting a halfstack.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
All right.
UGers don't hate ALL MG's. They just hate it when people spend few hundreds of dollars on a big 100 w practice halfstack when they can get a tube combo with comparable volume and much much better tone at the same price. I don't mind the little MG's, they're OK practice amps, and thats it. The halfstack is basically a big practice amp, which defeats the point of getting a halfstack.

even the small ones in ther uk are way over priced for what they are, think shops still sell them for £130, if they were about £50 then there wouldnt be as much of a problem with them but the price they charge is way more than they are worth, im surprised at how many people own them, lots of sites i goto and people say they play guitar and its an mg they own, and some even claim they like the tone
Quote by scottish nutter
lots of sites i goto and people say they play guitar and its an mg they own, and some even claim they like the tone

seems to be WAY too Common place!
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
Quote by scottish nutter
even the small ones in ther uk are way over priced for what they are, think shops still sell them for £130, if they were about £50 then there wouldnt be as much of a problem with them but the price they charge is way more than they are worth, im surprised at how many people own them, lots of sites i goto and people say they play guitar and its an mg they own, and some even claim they like the tone

mg15 is £60.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by isan
I can almost garranty if it has mg in the title it is the sum of all horrid sounds

G-U-A-R-A-N-T-E-E.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
G-U-A-R-A-N-T-E-E.

I ****ing knew i got it wrong ! God I suck at spelling.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
Quote by isan
I ****ing knew i got it wrong ! God I suck at spelling.

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

G.I. JOE! GO JOE!
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by scottish nutter

I do like the tone, lol.

I don't know what it is about it, it's just....excellent. Maybe because it ISN'T perfect, like some bands who sound like they recorded in a dustbin. It makes the music sound bleak...and all that.
bad design, poor components, cheapo materials.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
The opinion of the person using said amp.

IMO, theres no such thing as a good tone and a bad tone, it's all different between people.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by JLT73
if the people of UG jump on a bandwagon of hating it

Damn you - I was going to say "If the posters on UG tell you it's sh**ty".
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Page 1 of 2