I've been thinking of getting a kahler tremelo on my Faded SG. I have almost no experience with wood working so I would get a professional to do the routing. Does anyone have an idea approximatly how much it would be to get routed? Also I would need locking tuners right? Thanks in advanced.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Vandals572 at Nov 18, 2007,
You can't put a floating trem in an SG, they're just too thin, trust me, if it was possible, I already would have done it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Well from what I've read you only need to get the top routed so I assumed it wouldn't have to be routed to far in...
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
You might want to consider a Stetsbar, which are designed for non-trem guitars like Les Paul's and SG's.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Can the stetsbar go up or just down? I can't really tell by pictures of it.
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
google?

you could also get a bigsby, although thats a vibrato, not a floating trem
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Kahler WILL WORK! Be sure you get one of the double locking ones though, some of the single locking ones are fairly hit or miss.
why don't you people just tell him to get a digitech whammy... Jesus!... that thing can divebomb, bend up, and bend down. Why ruin a perfectly good guitars resale value if you can get similar enough sounds through a pedal. ^^^ Christ.. its like the blind leading the blind sometimes.
A Kahler WILL WORK, depending on the model you get, either a top route or a floyd style one like the Spyder.

Actually, you get even get a floyd rose to be honest.
It's body is thin, but all you need to do is cut the sustain block on it to make it fit.

It does work as there is and was an amount of factory models with a Floyds & Kahlers
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Just do a little research. Kahler has all top mounted ones that don't require any routing. I've played with a guy who had one on his before, sounded amazing imo
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by ErosThanatos
why don't you people just tell him to get a digitech whammy... Jesus!... that thing can divebomb, bend up, and bend down. Why ruin a perfectly good guitars resale value if you can get similar enough sounds through a pedal. ^^^ Christ.. its like the blind leading the blind sometimes.

Whammy =/= an actual Floyd Rose/Kahler
Yeah I've heard digitech whammy's make your tone suck, thanks for all the replies guys.
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
One more question, how would I go about deciding which one to get? I know almost nothing about all the different types of kahlers...
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Quote by Invader Jim
Maybe someone should make a "Ultimate/ONLY tremolos for SGs" thread. I'd do it, but I don't know much about the different types of trems and stuff.

There might as well be the amount of times the question pops up, been 3 times today alone.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
There might as well be the amount of times the question pops up, been 3 times today alone.

Thanks for the help man!
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Quote by Vandals572
Thanks for the help man!

I have been helping through the thread, thank you very much.

But most kahlers, like the stud mounts, or even a floyd rose trem will work.
If you give me an hour or so, I'll give you a list of all trems viable for an SG.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
even if you were ably to route for a kahler i doubt you could pull of a floating trem, plus the back routing would leave your SG paper thin (i imagine would murder any tone you have)
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I'm positive a O. Floyd Rose/copies with ONLY THE 'R4' locking nut will fit your guitar, it's sustain block will need to be cut, but it will fit.

Kahler 72/7300 should fit too.

Schallers with just standard studmount fitting.

Bigsby B5/50/500.

Wilkinson 'Wigsby'.

Gibson/Epiphone Maestro Vibrola/Lyre Vibrola Vibrato Unit.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
a top mount Kahler will fit an SG with minimal routing. im not sure what the need is for locking nuts with kahlers, but i have locking tuners and a floyd rose and i have no tuning issues.
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
Quote by Alienhead
a top mount Kahler will fit an SG with minimal routing. im not sure what the need is for locking nuts with kahlers, but i have locking tuners and a floyd rose and i have no tuning issues.

A Kahler locking nut goes in behind the nut. Take off the truss cover, drill a few small holes and you're done.
Quote by CJRocker
A Kahler locking nut goes in behind the nut. Take off the truss cover, drill a few small holes and you're done.

interesting ive never seen a kahler locking nut, infact, ive never played a new kahler, only vintage ones. I do know that ESP has some models using them though, but guitar center doesnt carry ESP for some reason, and their is a lack of other music stores around here.
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
Quote by Alienhead
interesting ive never seen a kahler locking nut, infact, ive never played a new kahler, only vintage ones. I do know that ESP has some models using them though, but guitar center doesnt carry ESP for some reason, and their is a lack of other music stores around here.

'86 Charvel Models 4, 5, and 6 had them, among other Charvel/Jackson USAs and a few Pro Series, but yes, the lock nut is behind the nut.
Washburn Wonderbar to, that had a truss cover mounted Locking Nut, jsut look for my Les Paul Floyd Installation.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda