Page 1 of 2
By grunts, Im talking about the guttural DEEP vocals... think Cannibal Corpse. Im not talking about the... I'm not sure what its called, but the other type, like COB or later Carcass.

As for the deeper grunts, I cant stand them. They just sound so unnatural and dont make the song for me. I really respect the musicianship in some of these bands, but some of the vocalists are... ew.
Quote by nedthehead
By grunts, Im talking about the guttural DEEP vocals... think Cannibal Corpse. Im not talking about the... I'm not sure what its called, but the other type, like COB or later Carcass.

As for the deeper grunts, I cant stand them. They just sound so unnatural and dont make the song for me. I really respect the musicianship in some of these bands, but some of the vocalists are... ew.

I like growlies, like Amon Amarth, but not grunts.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I like my vocalists to sound like they're choking on a sandwich.
A pastrami sandwich.
With mayonnaise.
Really ****ing brutal mayonnaise.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
lol stfu. Close this thread and move on. No one cares.

If you must, then consider this: they all have their own place, done right they are awesome, they fit the music, and they create a particular atmosphere and intensity.

Also consider this: just like with music, it all comes down to personal taste. No need to make a whole ****ing thread about it. K?

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by nedthehead

Are you refering to "harsh vocals"?

Anyway, I don't mind deep death vocals unless it's a substitute for the musical talent of the band as a whole.
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
lol stfu. Close this thread and move on. No one cares.

If you must, then consider this: they all have their own place, done right they are awesome, they fit the music, and they create a particular atmosphere and intensity.

Also consider this: just like with music, it all comes down to personal taste. No need to make a whole ****ing thread about it. K?

+1 No one cares if you don't like it. Some people like it, others don't. And you also didn't have to make a thread about it.
If you find that most people say no, then do you expect to establish some organization against the improper use of gutturals in modern metal music?

Has it dawned upon you that even though you can't stand something that other people may enjoy it? If there was no market for growls, they wouldn't be done, would they?
I've found Jesus
I wanted to know what you guys thought. Did I once bash the people who use these vocals? Im just expressing my opinion and trying to sewe if ANYONE agrees with me...
Quote by nedthehead
I wanted to know what you guys thought. Did I once bash the people who use these vocals? Im just expressing my opinion and trying to sewe if ANYONE agrees with me...

As can be applied to nearly everything in this world, it has fans and it has those who despise it. Due to the harsh, incomprehensible, and not easily accessible nature of growls, it will have plenty of people who will not have the capacity or the will to understand, not to even mention give it a proper chance.
I've found Jesus
I love death metal vocals. I love growling, grunting..whatever u wings just wouldnt be the same wanna call it. Things just wouldnt be the same without them.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
Quote by llanafreak44
I don't like that whole "burp" sounding vocals.

WHAT?! BLASPHEMER!!!!

But yeah, Demilich owns. I seriously cannot comprehend how he does those vocals.

With CC and such, you can make fun of it and imitate it. It's sorta like a "burghburhbughurh" kind of thing, and people may say "yeah, that's kinda what it sounds like". I have never come even close to touching Demilich's burp growls.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

i like growled vocals for the most part. The only style i can't stand is the.... for lack of a better description... "Dry" growl (like those employed on the more recent Opeth releases).
Quote by RatSkull
I am tired of the new breed of death metal bands who only scream and use higher growls, no one gives a ****. Deep gutterals make death metal killer vocal-wise. Have we not learned anything from Dying Fetus?

Possessed and Death and Morbid Angel all used raspier mid ranged growls. Now I love my gutterals but to say the screams and growls don't belong in death metal is blasphemous.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Possessed and Death and Morbid Angel all used raspier mid ranged growls. Now I love my gutterals but to say the screams and growls don't belong in death metal is blasphemous.

They were also musically closer to thrash considering death metal wasn't a definite genre yet so it sounded right.
Quote by RatSkull
They were also musically closer to thrash considering death metal wasn't a definite genre yet so it sounded right.

Where are you going with this? That every single band should do the cookie monster style?
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
I love them, but I prefer the Corpsegrinder/Mikael Akerfeldt type growls, the ones you can kinda understand but are still br00tal and low.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
This is a retarded thread.

The possibilty of this thread getting better has about the same amount of possibility that I'm never going to masturbate again.

I'm gonna go look at videos of some hot chicks swallowing man-juice now. See Ya gice.
Mikael Åkerfeldt's grunt > Everyone elses
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Yeah I like them... And I think more "mordern" metal bands should try doing it more. Or at least get another Carcass album (since they are getting back together for a tour)
Quote by RatSkull

Morbid Angel...... Thrash? Whadda what?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Cannibal Corpse is not that deep. Try Devourment or Gutteral Secrete if you want deep growls.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
Im a fan of a good powerful growl, I am not a fan of the inhuman sounding guttural or gurgling bull****. The vocals of Adam TFS (Hate), Peter (Vader), Julien (Benighted), David Vincent (Morbid Angel) and others are awesome, but once you start sounding like Wormed, its lame
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

your all ******s and should be killed
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by RatSkull

Possessed yes, Morbid Angel and Death, no. If anything, those three created the Death Metal genre, so your statement is beyond false.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

first of all i actually tend to prefer the raspier or mid to higher ranged vocals... espciallly if they're mixed with a few deep ones in some tracks. Vocals like those in bands like Arsis, Death, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, etc. all really do it for me.

The Gutteral vocals of bands like Behemoth, Opeth (which can be considered raspy sometimes I guess), Pestilence, Suffocation (kind of) are ones that I like

I don't like the gutterals of Necrophagist, Decapitated, Immolation, Cryptopsy (older albums), etc. (I still love the bands, but the vocalists I don't really like as much as the other bands styles.

Oh and you guys shouldn't give TS **** for starting a thread like this. The reason we have threads are to discuss things. otherwise I feel the metal forum becomes boring if all we have are the band threads... then we just keep going back and forth between our favorite album/song by the band and bashing lame people that come here and try to be like "A7X is the most metal band ever." This is definitely a question I was waiting for someone to ask. Plz stop bashing him, he isn't trying to force his view or trying to denounce anyones opinions or vocal stylings.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Last edited by bootyguard at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by bootyguard
first of all i actually tend to prefer the raspier or mid to higher ranged vocals... espciallly if they're mixed with a few deep ones in some tracks. Vocals like those in bands like Arsis, Death, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, etc. all really do it for me.

The Gutteral vocals of bands like Behemoth, Opeth (which can be considered raspy sometimes I guess), Pestilence, Suffocation (kind of) are ones that I like

I don't like the gutterals of Necrophagist, Decapitated, Immolation, Cryptopsy (older albums), etc. (I still love the bands, but the vocalists I don't really like as much as the other bands styles.

Those arent gutturals. Guttural vocals are from bands like Lord Gore, Wormed, and Brodequin. The bands you mentioned are just thicker growls. Theres a large difference.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

my bad.... i don't like the growls of those bands then. i'll try and check out the bands that have Gutteral vocals then to know the difference.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by bootyguard
my bad.... i don't like the growls of those bands then. i'll try and check out the bands that have Gutteral vocals then to know the difference.

The bands like Immolation, Behemoth, and Decapitated have some of the best growlers, the put out a much stronger and thicker growl so i can understand why youd think they were guttural, but the actual guttural is an entirely different technique and personally, i think it sucks ass lol. The guttural vocals are mostly common with brutal death metal but the bands that dont use them are actually some of the better brutal death metal bands, like Nephasth.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
Possessed yes, Morbid Angel and Death, no. If anything, those three created the Death Metal genre, so your statement is beyond false.

Learn to read, pal? It doesn't matter what his point was, but he said they were "closer" to thrash metal, not pure thrash metal. In any case, all old school death metal really was is pseudo-thrash, or thrash metal that's simply pushing the limits of brutality further than it is at the current time. Without the vocals from early Death and Morbid Angel, it could easily have been considered thrash metal. To say that old school death metal isn't basically a slightly modified version of thrash metal is stupid.
I've found Jesus
I don't mind grunts, but only in moderation, I prefer harsher, higher pitched screams, like Arch Enemy and Gorgoroth.
Quote by Terror Kovenant

Death Metal was basically thrash riffs with more extreme vocals and all around sound. Its nothing like the death metal out there today, so yes its fair to say it was closer to thrash considering it was fresh right out of the thrash movement. So no, its not beyond false.
Quote by RatSkull
Death Metal was basically thrash riffs with more extreme vocals and all around sound. Its nothing like the death metal out there today, so yes its fair to say it was closer to thrash considering it was fresh right out of the thrash movement. So no, its not beyond false.

That's what I said...
I've found Jesus
Quote by RatSkull

The beyond false was to your established genre comment, yes i know DM is a semi-product of Thrash but by the time Death, Morbid Angel, and Possessed were crushing, the genre was roaring.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Contraband
That's what I said...

I clicked "quote" when I saw his post, didn't read anyothers leading up to mine.

Well it can go either way. I hear a ton of thrash in their earlier songs which lead to my point being that I love the higher growls/yells in that early style of extreme metal.
Page 1 of 2