when i try to play a song and sing with it i end up losing tempo with one or the other, or sometimes i forget what to play next for some reason. any ideas why and how to fix it? or am i just retarted.
It's just a matter of practice man, learn what you're singing/playing inside out. Tapping a foot is what I did to get better at it.
so should i practice both at a slow tempo and then gradually speed up, kinda like how to learn a new song on guitar?
yeah practice defiantly but only if you have to, practice one at a time just guitar until its perfect and then just vocals til its perfect and then when you do it together it should be at least decent, also if your trying to play something like Dragonforce while singing I suggest cloning yourself cause it'll never happen
Quote by NightEmbers
yeah practice defiantly but only if you have to, practice one at a time just guitar until its perfect and then just vocals til its perfect and then when you do it together it should be at least decent, also if your trying to play something like Dragonforce while singing I suggest cloning yourself cause it'll never happen

lol i plan on never attempting to try that, and there songs are like impossible. unless you do the rythym guitar. but you would be god-like to be able to sing there songs and guitar at the same time
First off, start learning on songs that are easy to play and sing. Maybe some Greenday (that's how I started). Then as your practicing, make sure to pay attention to what beat the guitar plays on, and what beat the vocals land on. If there's a certain part where a word hits a chord, make sure it hits. It will help you stay on tempo and in rhythm. If you just try to sing along, you risk losing one or the other.
Slowly work your way up. As a general rule, bands that have a dedicated vocalists (eg. doesn't play and sing) will usually be harder to sing a play. So that means stay away from GNR and Ozzy until you are really comfortable with it.