ok, so im getting an A-style mandolin, and it has F style sound holes.
im really into irish folk and folk music, but ive heard that F style sound holes are usually used for bluegrass, and O styles holes are for folk. Id get a mandolin with O style holes but its about $400 more and i cant afford that. So, my question is, does the sound holes really make any difference? could i style use the F style holes and still get that irish folk and general folk sound, or while it sound too much like bluegrass?
Chris Thile of Nickel Creek uses both, though in concert he seemed to prefer the F style. I agree, it looks cooler, and he gets some pretty varied sounds out of it.

Look at it this way: John 5 can get metal tones out of a Tele, which is classically a twangy country instrument.
Quote by Ixthyx
Chris Thile of Nickel Creek uses both, though in concert he seemed to prefer the F style. I agree, it looks cooler, and he gets some pretty varied sounds out of it.

Look at it this way: John 5 can get metal tones out of a Tele, which is classically a twangy country instrument.

Nickle Creek Sucks compared to the Yonder Mountain String Band
in all honesty, the only difference is the way they look. i talked to a luthier who has lots of mandolins and he said the difference is so slight it doesnt really matter at all.
#DTWD