I've been looking at 7's for a while now and I really like the S7, problem is I've never played one...

Reasons I like it:
I love Ibanez necks
I loved the RG7420 neck I played (S7 shouldn't be to different)
The ZR trem feels nice (only used one once though)
I looks sexy

Things I'm worried about/don't like:
I heard the S can be a bit weird/uncomfortable to play because its very thin, is this true? I only played one S (six string) before and I was sitting down and didn't have enough time with it to decide whether or not it was bad

Quality, I've heard things about the neck pockets on the newer S series, not sure how true they are though

It only comes in black (easy fix right?)

So what does UG think? and does GC stock these? The closest one is about an hour away so I don't want to do a bunch of driving and not have the guitar there
Last edited by JD Red LP at Nov 19, 2007,
I just found a used RG1527 that I could get for $690 with a case, is this a substantially better guitar? Or is it more of a preference thing?
The RG is a presitge while the S isn't.
The RG has an edge pro tremolo while the S has a ZR.
The RG has a slimmer neck then the S.
The S is slimmer bodied.
The RG has 24 frets, the S has 22.

Its totally preference. I don't like the feel of the 1527 myself and I havent played the S7320, but I like the 6 string S series. The RG just has too thin a neck for my large hands.

Also would like to mention that while(according to users), neither has fantastic pickups, the S has the worse of the pair but still decent enough.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Nov 19, 2007,
Lol whut?It's the most comfortable thing on earth and it has the best trem I've ever tried
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Lol whut?It's the most comfortable thing on earth and it has the best trem I've ever tried

Like I said, its uncomfrotable for my large hands which is a consideration. A lot of people dont like super thin necks, so I'm just puttng it out there.

Both guitars have their respective strenghts based on preference.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I thought they had the same neck dimensions? hmm, how much thicker is the S neck?

The 22 frets don't really bother me and I've heard nothing but good things about the ZR. I would probably replace the pickups after a while. Is the S body comfortable? How's the quality control on it?
Quote by JD Red LP
I thought they had the same neck dimensions? hmm, how much thicker is the S neck?

The 22 frets don't really bother me and I've heard nothing but good things about the ZR. I would probably replace the pickups after a while. Is the S body comfortable? How's the quality control on it?

Wait for hmmm_de_dum to come along for neck dimensions exactly, or ask in th sevenstring.org forums.

Yes the ZR trem is great.
Can't say much abotu quality control since I don't really play ibanez that much and the 6 string S bodies I like. Very comfy since they're so thin at the edges but I havent had a chance to try out the 7 string S.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yea the S neck is about 1mm thicker according to Ibanez, so they're pretty much the same. My Local GC doesn't have either of them in stock right now so I'm gonna have to go down there and play a bunch of six strong S's and some high/mid end RGs+some 7321s and hope that's a good enough comparison
Quote by DagMX
Wait for hmmm_de_dum to come along for neck dimensions exactly, or ask in th sevenstring.org forums.

Yes the ZR trem is great.
Can't say much abotu quality control since I don't really play ibanez that much and the 6 string S bodies I like. Very comfy since they're so thin at the edges but I havent had a chance to try out the 7 string S.

RG1527:

Scale Length: 648mm/25.5"
Width At Nut: 43mm
Width At Last Fret: 56mm
Thickness At 1st Fret: 18mm
Thickness At 12th Fret: 20mm
Radius: 430

S7320:

Thickness At 1st Fret: 19mm
Thickness At 12th Fret: 21mm
Radius: 400

The dimensions on the S are the same as on the RG7321.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
The RG is basswood and the S is basswood, obviously. I'd say they're about the same quality, and it all comes down to preference in terms of the sound of the wood and the tremolo.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
The RG is basswood and the S is basswood, obviously. I'd say they're about the same quality, and it all comes down to preference in terms of the sound of the wood and the tremolo.

The S is mahogany, also, without in any way suggesting that the S is bad, it's not as good as the Japanese Prestige models.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Technically, the RG is better, but I would play them both before choosing, because of the wood, feel and sound of them both. I do want to try out the ZR though as I've heard good things and could be Ibanez's best tremolo.

Hum will tell you about the S 7 though (I have the 1572)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Bonsaischaap
RG1527:

Thickness At 1st Fret: 18mm
Thickness At 12th Fret: 20mm
Radius: 430

S7320:

Thickness At 1st Fret: 19mm
Thickness At 12th Fret: 21mm
Radius: 400

The dimensions on the S are the same as on the RG7321.

Its a little thicker then the RG...1mm is not that much though..
I was justgoing by what I was told when I was looking at 7 strings

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350