Im thinking about getting a GIbson robot guitar when they come out. I can't find any prices but i'm guessing they'll cost about 4500 USD. Are they worth getting or should I stick to an LP ?

Scott
Quote by scheck006
If UG had rep I'd give it to you.

Quote by zetaspartan2552
sounds like your mom suffers from mental retardation.

Gear:

Fender Precision Bass
Epiphone LP Special
Peavey Special 212 Guitar Amp
Cube-100 Bass Amp
Line 6 Floor Pod
Bongos
they're on searchbutton.com for about $800 for the tuning system and $3500 for the robot guitar.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Robot guitar....I wouldn't get one personally. I'd rather stick to a normal Les Paul. All that extra cash to not have to tune so often....I don't reckon it's worth it.
But, the arguement most often given is "Why pay more to have something done you can do yourself".
In the case, why the hell would you get a girlfriend.
Its called masturbating, guys.
But still, people throw in hundreds for 'em.

(I joke. Not sexist, don't worry)

I think they're ugly guitars too. The one i've seen was atleast.
But it is up to you in the end.
Get a custom luthier made guitar that'd be a gazillion times better
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by makuserusukotto
are you really that lazy that you dont want to tune a guitar?

just tune your own guitar
The 'robot guitar' is just an LP with a self-tuning system stuck on it, nothing more, get a normal LP and a good digital tuner, it'll be cheaper.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The only time i would ever want one..would be when your playing a concert..and after every song..tune it back.
Quote by raddxprep
Just get a freakin` fender strat vg.
Way more settings.

As much as I hate to play devils advocate it's not the same thing at all, the VG strat still needs to be in relative tune by hand, the drop D settings and all that stuff only work if it's in tune to begin with. In that respect the powertune system Gibson has put together is better, but only in that respect and they're both stupid ideas anyway.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
As much as I hate to play devils advocate it's not the same thing at all, the VG strat still needs to be in relative tune by hand, the drop D settings and all that stuff only work if it's in tune to begin with. In that respect the powertune system Gibson has put together is better, but only in that respect and they're both stupid ideas anyway.

I don't think it's really a stupid idea. Maybe adding the option of Drop D is stupid, cause I can do that in a few seconds, and takes no effort. But I don't wanna sit there for a minute or 2 tuning to Eb, or Drop C. I know you should be able to tune, but for tunings where you tune EVERY string, it can be annoying when playing live.

I wouldn't be one, personally, though.
Biggest waste of money... EVER.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
How hard is it to tune a les paul? honestly? If it was a floyd id be impressed.
It might be cool for gigs if you need to change tuning, but honestly just get a regular les paul. It is cool technology no doubt, but it isnt worth the extra cash.
If you can afford the VG strat or a powertune equipped guitar than you can easily afford two guitars of the same quality and just tune them differently and anyway lets face it: if you're going to tune that differently then you should string your guitar differently too.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
**** that, **** a stupid guitar for rich ass beginers that dont know how to tune, but can now buy a guitar that they dont have to tune....wtf has the world come to?

i bet they are also making guitar defence systems that beat you up if you try to mess with this dudes guitar
ok, that would be cool but not the ****ing self tuning ****
Quote by rlx21
How hard is it to tune a les paul? honestly? If it was a floyd id be impressed.
It might be cool for gigs if you need to change tuning, but honestly just get a regular les paul. It is cool technology no doubt, but it isnt worth the extra cash.

yea i would consider one if on a guitar with a floyd, THAT would be impressive, but if you need to tune live just give your drummer a solo or something
http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/robotguitarvideovoting.aspx?playvideo=training

Check this page; if you go down a bit there is a video entitled "Robot Guitar Kills Strat".

If that isn't a clear indication that this is merely a knee-jerk response to the VG strat then I don't know what is.

Oh and I keep watching them; guess what? In the "Psycho" video the guy is in the shower singing smoke on the water (the main riff, played on a strat) when he is apparently killed by the robot guitar and on the back of his hand as he falls over there's the fender 'F'.

The proof continues to pile up.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 20, 2007,
http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/story2.html

They mention Pink Floyd's fearless on that page as it has an alternate tuning but it doesn't impress me one bit though.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
The one thing they don't seem to say on that page is that none of those artists tend to use more than one or two tunings themselves and if they do they tend to be hugely rich...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Agreed with "waste of money"

Honestly, most artists I listen to keep the guitars in 2 main tunings. Drop D, and Standard. That's just standard tunings though, not "Tune down half step" and such.

But honestly. I could get a Les Paul Standard, for maybe 1600 bucks minimum. Instead of paying 3000+ for this. If you don't know how to tune...why the hell are you playing?
imagine how many song and idead u can come up with by playing in defferent tuning u never play usaually
Exactly what has been said, waste of money. You're paying for the already insanely overpriced LP which is 60% name, and then you've got the ridiculous tuning system in which you're shelling out more for. It's stupid as well as a waste of money.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
I wouldn't buy one, but everyone is saying "tune it yourself!"

C'mon, it is undeniable that it would be extremely useful live, and I also believe it has something that adjusts intonation so that it's perfect.

I don't personally think its worth the money, but it's not a bad idea or useless... if they eventually lowered the price (a lot) and if there is more colors then that ugly ass blue LP, I'd buy one.

EDIT:
Quote by HelloHalo
Agreed with "waste of money"

Honestly, most artists I listen to keep the guitars in 2 main tunings. Drop D, and Standard. That's just standard tunings though, not "Tune down half step" and such.

But honestly. I could get a Les Paul Standard, for maybe 1600 bucks minimum. Instead of paying 3000+ for this. If you don't know how to tune...why the hell are you playing?

Just because you have a narrower range of tunings that you play in / listen to does not mean that everyone else does. I've listened to bands that play in anywhere from Standard to Drop A, and it would be great for say a band like Nile to be able to cover all sorts of songs in higher tunings without having to continuously switch guitars or anything like that.
Last edited by blakkin at Nov 20, 2007,
Well I think the finish looks smexy as hell... and I also think it is useful albeit lazy.

Plus on the video it sounds like sex.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by dustnbones316
yea i would consider one if on a guitar with a floyd, THAT would be impressive, but if you need to tune live just give your drummer a solo or something

I was talking about between songs. For instance you just finished a song in e flat, but now your going to play a song in drop d. It would just be the flip of a switch, but still, as I said, not very useful.
Quote by blakkin
I wouldn't buy one, but everyone is saying "tune it yourself!"

C'mon, it is undeniable that it would be extremely useful live, and I also believe it has something that adjusts intonation so that it's perfect.

Just because you have a narrower range of tunings that you play in / listen to does not mean that everyone else does. I've listened to bands that play in anywhere from Standard to Drop A, and it would be great for say a band like Nile to be able to cover all sorts of songs in higher tunings without having to continuously switch guitars or anything like that.

1) The thing doesn't adjust intonation itself, it has a thing that tells you when your guitar is intonated correctly, exactly the same way a good digital tuner does.

2) It's only useful to a point: anything further out of tune than say, half a step down on a set of .09s is going to feel really floppy and you won't be able to play as well and you'll still have to contend with intonation issues; changing tuning during a show is all very well and good but it's not that useful at all, unlike the VG strat which, once it's set up, doesn't change the strings in any way; it alters the tuning digitally.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Not worth it. Plus, I saw all the videos at the gibson robot site, and I have to say that they are very stupid, and offensive (towards fender and the viewer's intelligence). If you like Les Pauls, then get a normal one, for less money (and with better quality).
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Thanks to the people who actually thought about it.

To the few who said stuff like "what the hell are you doing playing guitar, if you can't tune" and "rich ass beginner", GTFO assholes.

I know how to tune a guitar, I've been playing almost 5 years. No one is buying the guitar for me, I've worked and saved for a couple of years to get an LP. If that justifies me, perfect, if not, oh well, haha.

I'm gonna call and find out how much this is gonna cost, and compare it to a few other LP's I was looking at. I like the idea of being able to tune quickly on stage and such, plus I do like the finish. It's definitely unique and hey, I can say I was one of the first people to own a Robot Guitar.

Scott
Quote by scheck006
If UG had rep I'd give it to you.

Quote by zetaspartan2552
sounds like your mom suffers from mental retardation.

Gear:

Fender Precision Bass
Epiphone LP Special
Peavey Special 212 Guitar Amp
Cube-100 Bass Amp
Line 6 Floor Pod
Bongos
About the argument of tuning live: Why not just get 2 expensive guitars and keep them at different tunings?

For 3500, that's 2 ebayed Gibson Les Paul Standards right there!