Hello,
I'm going to buy a new guitar, for under $500 canadian (without taxes), and I've been looking at the Epiphone Les Pauls. There are a bunch I'm considering, but I wanted a few other people's opinions. I've read the reviews for each of these guitars. I play southern rock and blues, and was wondering, which guitar you guys think would be the best option for me, out of:

Epiphone les Paul Standard Plus
Epiphone les paul '56 goldtop
Epiphone les paul standard
Epiphone les paul classic

From what I've seen, the '56 seems pretty nice for blues, but I've heard so many things, I don't know what to believe anymore.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
You gotta love strats
Goldtop, baby. Those are beautiful...and p-90's are a nice hot, raunchy pup for blues and southern rock. Just my call.
^What's southern rock like?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Ive always hated goldtops with a passion. They just look weird to me. Get a cherry sunburst like jimmy page or Black with gold hardware. Out of the ones you listed i would go for the standard plus or the classic.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
What happened to getting a les paul CUSTOM?

lol,someone WILL say custom in any "what les paul to get" thread

I say the standard plus as they look sexier with the flamed maple but take a look at the custom and custom plus and ultra models,great stuff, my custom plus has been doing pretty above expectations so i do recommend it
Whats the difference between an Epiphone Les Paul standard and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom? I know the Custom's got a few different parts, but i dont know the main difference between the two. I've seen some pretty cheap (money wise, not quality) Les Paul Customs on Ebay, and I want to know if theyre really that different from the Standards, and if they are, wht makes them different.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
GREAT Southern Rock = Pride & Glory, on subject now. '56 Goldtop is by far your best bet... Though Epi's arent my thing.
Eh, in the end their all the same, just different pups. Look at each set of pups to see which one seems the closest to what you play. Then if you like the guitar, buy it; if not, keep lookin.

Good Luck!
i second the quilt top. amazing thinner les paul neck.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
I went to check them out today and the goldtop really did have an awesome tone, the other ones were nice but not so much what I'm looking for. However, the mexican fender telecaster was also really nice. This is gonna be a hard choice...

Thanks for the responses!
You gotta love strats
Quote by GasGuzzler
Hello,
I'm going to buy a new guitar, for under $500 canadian (without taxes), and I've been looking at the Epiphone Les Pauls. There are a bunch I'm considering, but I wanted a few other people's opinions. I've read the reviews for each of these guitars. I play southern rock and blues, and was wondering, which guitar you guys think would be the best option for me, out of:

Epiphone les Paul Standard Plus
Epiphone les paul '56 goldtop
Epiphone les paul standard
Epiphone les paul classic

From what I've seen, the '56 seems pretty nice for blues, but I've heard so many things, I don't know what to believe anymore.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Well from my own experiences and being an owner of a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus myself any of those should work well enough for you.

The thing with Epiphone is the quality control can be iffy, so you get some duds and you find some jems. Play as many as possible of each of these guitars whichever one you think plays best and like go for that.
Even if they are the "same" line of guitars they can differ individually so make sure to find a good one.

As for the ones you listed i'd go for either the 56' Gold Top (gold tops are beautiful and the P-90's should be great especially for your styles.)

Or the standard plus which I own.

The Classic seems to be a bit more edgy though I think the overall materials are the same so it may just be cosmetics.

As far as the standard I think it's the same as the standard plus haven't noticed much of a difference between the two from the specs.

One more good Epiphone to look at is the Standard Plain Top, it's around $400 but has the all mahogany body and all.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Thanks, I saw that one today too, quite nice, but I did really love the goldtop. If I can scrape up enough cash, I think I'll be playing that sweet guitar soon enough.
You gotta love strats
I bought an Epiphone Elite (a.k.a. Elitist – made in Japan) Les Paul Standard in vintage sunburst used on eBay in excellent condition for $530. I have compared it to several Gibson LP Standards, and it is at least as good, and in a majority of cases, it is a superior instrument – better tuners, extremely comfortable and reasonably fast neck profile, pickups and electronics equivalent to Gibson Standards, full thickness body (unlike other Epi Lps which are thinner), no weight-relief chambering, and a long neck tenon to maximize sustain. It is far and away better than any other Epiphone Les Paul, and I would argue that Elitist Les Pauls offer more consistent quality control and a better component/design package than Gibson LP Standards. If players didn't care about the name on the headstock, Epi Elitists would be the LP of choice if you want the classic Paul feel, look, and sound.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Well from my own experiences and being an owner of a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus myself any of those should work well enough for you.

The thing with Epiphone is the quality control can be iffy, so you get some duds and you find some jems. Play as many as possible of each of these guitars whichever one you think plays best and like go for that.
Even if they are the "same" line of guitars they can differ individually so make sure to find a good one.

As for the ones you listed i'd go for either the 56' Gold Top (gold tops are beautiful and the P-90's should be great especially for your styles.)

Or the standard plus which I own.

The Classic seems to be a bit more edgy though I think the overall materials are the same so it may just be cosmetics.

As far as the standard I think it's the same as the standard plus haven't noticed much of a difference between the two from the specs.

One more good Epiphone to look at is the Standard Plain Top, it's around $400 but has the all mahogany body and all.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

the classics are mahogany body with a quilted maple top.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by LastCaress88
Whats the difference between an Epiphone Les Paul standard and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom? I know the Custom's got a few different parts, but i dont know the main difference between the two. I've seen some pretty cheap (money wise, not quality) Les Paul Customs on Ebay, and I want to know if theyre really that different from the Standards, and if they are, wht makes them different.

The difference is nothing. Besides the finish basically, u still get the same crappy stock pickups. So basically nothing unless u wanna pay the extra $200 or w/e it is for the finish. So back to the originally dude, gasguzzler. I'd would go with the standard b/c there is almost no difference between them, except for the different pickups on the goldtop.
Quote by xCompanyCalls
the honeyburst standard.

like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Honeyburst_W0QQitemZ180179835872QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i had a gold top not too long ago.
i gave it to my ex girlfriend for her birthday.
dumb me.

+1

I have one

The best looking Les Paul body IMO.

Not the best sound though.
Well, the Classic isn't made any more, and any that you find will have been made before the production shift; i.e., they'll have worse bodies and hardware than new Epis.

The Custom fully took over from the Classic, so look into that.

The only difference between the Standard and Standard Plus is the type of maple top they use. If you want to get the best quality for your money, the Plus Top isn't worth it; the Custom will cost around the same as a Plus Top, and the quality is higher on Customs. If you really have to get a flame maple top, there are Customs made with flame maple.

Personally, I think the Standard is the lowest Epi anyone should buy, but really, you should always aim to get a Custom or better.

The Goldtop is a whole different matter. They're great, but I know so many people who have fallen in love with the idea of P-90s at first, and then gotten sick of them after a short while. similarly, I know many people who are put off at first, then fall in love with P-90s. The Goldtop is a case where you really have to know what you're after before you get it; generally my rule is, if you have to ask other people if you should buy one, then you shouldn't buy one.

Quote by InsantKarma94
The difference is nothing. Besides the finish basically, u still get the same crappy stock pickups. So basically nothing unless u wanna pay the extra $200 or w/e it is for the finish. So back to the originally dude, gasguzzler. I'd would go with the standard b/c there is almost no difference between them, except for the different pickups on the goldtop.
Urgh.

There are more differences than just the finishes:

- Higher grade wood.
- Higher quality cast of the hardware.
- Better pots.
- slightly thinner finish (give a tone more like a Gibson LP, though only slightly more like it, as it is still naturally darker like most Epi guitars are).
- Korean-wound pickups (as opposed to Chinese-wound pickups).
- And then yes of course, the different finishes.