Hi everyone...so i've got this problem that makes me think a lot about droping the idea to learn the guitar...

I just bought an electric guitar and well...i'm trying to play a mi chord I think? and well I don't know if it's because my fingers are too fat..or too short but the ones that are pressing on any strings are ALWAYS "muting" the other strings!!! WHY!!!

will it ever change? because when I look at my index on the 5th string , 2nd fret, it seems that he's muting the 6th and 4th string because he's too thick...and without any teacher to answer me...I supposed that it would never change and that I just hadn't hands suited to play the guitar....
I feel the same way, especially about the B string since that ALWAYS seems to get muted. Anyway I just keep practicing and it seems to get better each day.
What chord are you having problems with? I'm still a beginner but I've never heard of a mi chord... Are you talking about minor chords?
Quote by Feel-IX
he's too thick...and without any teacher to answer me...I supposed that it would never change and that I just hadn't hands suited to play....

hahahahaha i had to do it
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Take your time and continue practicing. Over time your fingers will adjust. Just believe and focus. You CAN do it!
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
When i first started i couldn't play an open G chord. It takes a while to get your fingers to do what you want them to.
Honeybiscuit is here.
There's something you need to know while playing the guitar.... You have to be awfully patient. Everything takes time to settle down. When you can't get the chords well, play them over and over again even if they don't sound right. But make sure you put in a 100% effort everytime...

Eventually you will get it.
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Be patient and keep practicing. It's important to remember that when it comes to chords, playing and fingering a chord is the easy part. The difficulty comes in when you're trying to quickly switch seamlessly between other chords.
I think it may have something to do with the angle at which your fingers are touching the strings; ideally you should aim to have your fingertips pressing down the strings if you don't want to mute the other strings like this:

It might take some getting used to and may hurt to begin with but that's because you have no calluses; perseverance is the key but only as long as you have the right technique to begin with.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i have just the opposite style hands.. mine are long and skinny.. but, i had the same problem starting out, i would always end up muting an adjacent string... but i learned if i curl my hand and make myself hit the string with just the tip of my finger and I'm perpendicular with the neck i will never get a "buzz" so to speak
In the beginning your fingers are basically retarded. Beginning is the hardest part. Hang in there and push through it. Just keep practicing chord progressions and you'll train your hands.
Tip of advice even if it's not relevent when doing bar chords try put the tip of your finger over the fretboard
your fingers can never be to fat or skinny to play chords just practice and train your other fingers or your chord fingers not to touch the others, happens to everyone mostly starting out.
Quote by Jason_Parker
In the beginning your fingers are basically retarded. Beginning is the hardest part. Hang in there and push through it. Just keep practicing chord progressions and you'll train your hands.

hell yeah, I've been playing for like 9 years and the first 1-2 were the worst. Once your fingers get use to playing the chord a certain muscle memory will happen. Guitar doesn't happen as quick as a lot of people want it to, so just be patient.
It happened me at the start as well. What I did was just played the chord anyway and after a while then, your fingers will just know where to go.
This is off topic but... are chords vital to learn? I mean i always wanted to get around to them but i never bought that cool chord chart poster so i never got anything to tell me chords to play. I just read the tabs and play along as well as figuring out by ear.

Oh and What i learned is try puting your fingers at an angle to he neck for those tricky noted.
thanks everyone for all your advises and for the cheer ups! it's good to hear that almost everyone had the same problem as I do at the beginning!

and yeah, you're totally right phillyguitar

Quote by phillyguitar
Guitar doesn't happen as quick as a lot of people want it to, so just be patient.

btw, the chord i'm having a problem with are the 3 easiest...G Major, C Major and D Major...cause I haven't tried any other..but I probably would have the same problem with any other chord ahah
Last edited by Feel-IX at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by echoe09
This is off topic but... are chords vital to learn? I mean i always wanted to get around to them but i never bought that cool chord chart poster so i never got anything to tell me chords to play. I just read the tabs and play along as well as figuring out by ear.

Oh and What i learned is try puting your fingers at an angle to he neck for those tricky noted.

I suppose if you really wanted to you could only learn how to a solo guitarist, it's not recommended though
Quote by d3n
I suppose if you really wanted to you could only learn how to a solo guitarist, it's not recommended though

I know what ill do. Ill keep an extra 15 bucks on me at ALL times and when i see oe of those cool as chord posters ill buy one because there is no waay that im getting a damn book and i just dont have the time and paitience but if i see that poster hanging on the wall while i play ill be tepted to play them ALL. I win
Quote by echoe09
I know what ill do. Ill keep an extra 15 bucks on me at ALL times and when i see oe of those cool as chord posters ill buy one because there is no waay that im getting a damn book and i just dont have the time and paitience but if i see that poster hanging on the wall while i play ill be tepted to play them ALL. I win
Once again, playing chords is easy. Switching between them quickly is the hard part, which you should be practicing now, unless you want to be a one-dimensional player that can only solo.
You're perfectly normal...it's not unusual to spend a couple of months trying to figure out exactly what that stupid lump of wood is doing in your hands, let alone play anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
mybe surgury is in order for you

just kidding, try using your fingertips
they call og or nothing at all!!
G Maj, C Maj, and D Maj....you couldn't have picked any harder chords. I still have trouble with them darn things. I am still a beginner, been playing for about 2 months now. I still have trouble with chords but the key is just to keep practicing. I notice I get better every day, would be alot better at chords if that is all I focused on. Instead of trying to be guitar hero and learn too complicated songs for me.
Quote by fatfarmowl
G Maj, C Maj, and D Maj....you couldn't have picked any harder chords. I still have trouble with them darn things. I am still a beginner, been playing for about 2 months now. I still have trouble with chords but the key is just to keep practicing. I notice I get better every day, would be alot better at chords if that is all I focused on. Instead of trying to be guitar hero and learn too complicated songs for me.

acutally, G and D are simple, but most times the problem is on your thumb, seriously
yeah....succeeded into playing a E Major and D Major..after like 2-3 hours of practice.....new problem: A Major...ahaha..am I the only one for whom it's that much slow to learn chords...?
Nope, it's like that for everyone
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com