Sticky, perhaps?

Since there often seem to be folks on here looking to "get into" shred, I figured I might as well spout off a collection of some of the albums I own as a rough guide for anyone looking to dabble in our favourite widdly-widdly genre. Some of 'em will be well-known to most fans already, whilst others might be a bit obscure.

Also, many are extremely hard to find in shops as opposed to the Net, so get your p2p progs ready for action if you see anything interesting! I'm focusing primarily on albums that have a goodly amount of shred and wankery as opposed to slow playing with 'feeling', so no fusion or general metal here. Strictly instrumental only; no bands with singers.

Anyhow, in no particular order of preference:

Greg Howe – Greg Howe (1988)
Ritchie Kotzen – Ritchie Kotzen (1989)
Steve Morse – StressFest (1996)
Vinnie Moore – Mind's Eye (1986)
Tony MacAlpine – Edge Of Insanity (1986)
Jason Becker – Perpetual Burn (1988)
Marty Friedman – Dragon's Kiss (1988)
Jennifer Batten – Above Below And Beyond (1992)
Liquid Tension Experiment – Liquid Tension Experiment 2 (1999)
Michael Angelo Batio – No Boundaries (1995)
Joe Satriani – Flying In A Blue Dream (1989)
Steve Vai – Passion And Warfare (1990)
Joey Tafolla – Out Of The Sun (1987)
John Petrucci – Suspended Animation (2005)

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind some recommendations myself! Preferably from the '80s, since I absolutely love that unclipped mixing with loads of dynamic headroom they used to have.
Quote by xsamhain
Marilyn Manson? What?

where does it say marilyn manson?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Shawn Lane - Powers of Ten

Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes

Mattias "IA" Eklundh - Freak Guitar
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Of course, how could I forget:

Paul Gilbert - Get out of My Yard.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ibason
Why no Paul Gilbert?

I didn't recommend any of his stuff – including GOOMY – because they don't have enough pure shred on them for my liking. And Racer X doesn't count, obviously.

The ones I listed all have at least 70% of wankery on them.
Quote by DaFjory
I didn't recommend any of his stuff – including GOOMY – because they don't have enough pure shred on them for my liking. And Racer X doesn't count, obviously.

The ones I listed all have at least 70% of wankery on them.

You're an idiot then. Sorry but if someone wants to get into shred then we should be posting albums that have something that makes them accessible to non-shredders i.e. slow bit and preferably the majority, putting in too much wank tends to put people off.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're an idiot then. Sorry but if someone wants to get into shred then we should be posting albums that have something that makes them accessible to non-shredders i.e. slow bit and preferably the majority, putting in too much wank tends to put people off.

Well oh dear, sorry for being an idiot then(!)

So I didn't post PG. Boohoo. You did that part, so cah'm dah'n mate alre'et.
whatever happened to that Shred Recommendation Thread that was being worked on by Resiliance and faqu many months ago? i could have sworn it should have been here by now...
Some ones that haven't been mentioned:

Joe Satriani - "Surfin' With the Alien"
Paul Gilbert - "Spaceship One"
Alcatrazz - "No Parole From Rock 'n Roll"
Yngwie Malmsteem - "Rising Force"
Uli John Roth - "The Best Of Uli Jon Roth"
Rusty Cooley - Rusty Cooley

Buckethead - Crime Slunk Scene, Colma, Electric Tears, The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell

Marty Friedman - Scenes, Loudspeaker
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join