How would I go about learning how to play these kinds of metal?

I know of the techniques, but how would I go about with theory and structure?

I know there are infinate possiblities but where would be a good starting point?

I ask because most of the cites I visit only give techniques but don't give any clear indication on how to use them in songs. They usualy give an exmple but they don't explain why that technique was used or why another technique wouldn't work.
listen to epic stuff so you don't turn out to be one of those guys who thinks that slayer-esque bands write good music.

i know slayer is more thrash, but just for example, yaknow
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Minor modes are good. Phrygian dominant's good, harmonic minor or double harmonic minor are good. Diminished scales are good. That should kinda help to start off with.
power chords (both)
tremolo picking (both)
downtuning (death primarily)
simple progessions (black primarily)
scooped tone (black priamrily)
arpeggios(black primarily)
complex riffs(death primarily)
abrupt tempo changes (both)
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
OH and for death metal, just feel free to use weird time signatures. Mess around in 7/8 or 11/8 and see what you come up with.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
listen to epic stuff so you don't turn out to be one of those guys who thinks that slayer-esque bands write good music.

i know slayer is more thrash, but just for example, yaknow

I am aware and listen to Empereor, Immortal, Atheist, Morbid Angel, and Disscetion.
I just want to know the theory so I can experiment aned find my own sound.
Quote by grampastumpy
Minor modes are good. Phrygian dominant's good, harmonic minor or double harmonic minor are good. Diminished scales are good. That should kinda help to start off with.
Is the Gypsy scale Minor? I have been wanting to find a way to incorporate that into my song writeing.
Quote by grampastumpy
OH and for death metal, just feel free to use weird time signatures. Mess around in 7/8 or 11/8 and see what you come up with.

add in some jazzy drum beats for good measure
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by D_o_M
Is the Gypsy scale Minor? I have been wanting to find a way to incorporate that into my song writeing.

Same as the double harmonic minor. It's pretty good, should be pretty easy to use for black metal especially.
STANDARD RESPONSE TO 'How do I play ______ genre of music' THREADS FOLLOWS:

Phrasing.

<3 AEnimus.
Overall I would say Death Metal is the more difficult musically. Black metal is simply athletic dark pop (in my opinion...)

It's fast as hell, and yes I could not play a 220 bpm blast beat for 2 hours, but BM never really struck me as being that progressive or compositionally innovative - there are of course exceptions.

But black is an atmosphere. It sets a mood.

Death is more of a musician's game, meant to be listened to as seriously as one might listen to classical. Good death metal, that is, such as Death and Dissection, two of my favorites. Morbid Angel, too.

Cannibal Corpse is Grindcore.

And the reason I accuse BM of being pop is that it has become a mall trend and every 12 year-old whose just discovered his dick is wearing Cradle of Filth T-shirts from f*cking HOT TOPIC!!!

True black metalers would crucify them. Alas, true black metal is in very, very, very short supply these days. Plenty of church-going mallcore wannabes, though!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."