anyone wanna read it and just tell me what they think and if it's any good? thanks. BTW it is supposed to only be about one page, double-spaced, so that's why it's so short.

1984 is a novel about a man, Winston Smith, who lives under the control of a totalitarian government. He lives in the country of Oceania, which is ruled by a force called The Party. The leader of The Party is a fictional person whose name is Big Brother. In their country and society the liberties that we enjoy such as freedom and personal rights such as privacy do not exist. The citizens are monitored 24/7 by devices called Telescreens. These Telescreens constantly broadcasting political propaganda, such as “Big Brother is Watching You!” These Telescreens also served as a way for the government to watch their citizens and make sure they were not breaking the law. Any bad thought or action is dealt with by deadly punishment. Winston works in one of the four government agencies. His job is to alter history so that Big Brother seems to be the Supreme Ruler. For as long as he remembers, he has loathed The Party and the message it preached. Though he never shows how he feels, for he would be severely punished. Eventually Winston starts having a love affair with a woman he works with, whose name is Julia. Julia shares the same beliefs about The Party with him. Both of them have multiple meetings in the book, where they talk about their extreme disliking towards The Party. They both end up joining a underground group called The Brotherhood, who's idea is to end the government that is in place. By reading the books of The Brotherhood, they learn about the meaning of The Parties slogan, "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." They also learn about the principles of perpetual war. Then, Winston and Julia are arrested by the Thought Police. The Thought Police deal with individuals who don’t follow the rules and custom’s of The Party. They are brought to a prison where, Winston is tortured and beaten, until he will confess to things he had never taken part of. They decide not to kill Winston right away. So they reeducate him of the ways of The Party, by brainwashing him. After he is reeducated he was put back into society where he follows all the rules and ideas of The Party. He enjoys his new life, and loves Big Brother. He makes Winston feel safe, and happy. Winston is brainwashed, and this is basically the death of him.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Run!!!!!
my gear:
ibanez RG
digitech RP250
crate RFX15
marshall 30-watt

ignore the username
Quote by Eminored
I'd start a World War too if I listened to enough polka.

Quote by COBHC728
To TriviumJunkie: You need rehab my friend

stanleybach ur fucking banned!!
APSH!!
sentences don't flow very well.
but then again, i didn't pay too much attention to what i was reading.
it's good if you're just supposed to tell what it was about... but we spent so long analyzing all the deeper meanings in the friggin book i expected you to start talking about the pros and cons of governmnet control or something...
These Telescreens [are] constantly broadcasting political propaganda.

winston was never really a part of the brotherhood, in fact, there are doubts as to whether it actually exists. the idea of it is used to weed out those who oppose the party.

what grade are you in?

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
These Telescreens [are] constantly broadcasting political propaganda.

winston was never really a part of the brotherhood, in fact, there are doubts as to whether it actually exists. the idea of it is used to weed out those who oppose the party.

what grade are you in?

I'm a junior. Yeah, it wasn't that hard of a book report. The directions were to right a page long summary of the book we read.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by guylee
it's good if you're just supposed to tell what it was about... but we spent so long analyzing all the deeper meanings in the friggin book i expected you to start talking about the pros and cons of governmnet control or something...

I have to write a page about those too. But that will be easy.

You're just summing up the story here.. Try to add some of your own reflections. I don't know 'bout you over there, but ones thoughts is what our teachers are looking for. At least if they are looking for ways to set a good grade...
Quote by Tuneman
You're just summing up the story here.. Try to add some of your own reflections. I don't know 'bout you over there, but ones thoughts is what our teachers are looking for. At least if they are looking for ways to set a good grade...

This is just the summary. I have to write another page about opinions/commentary/analysis.

Are you kidding me!!! this is a great book and you are missing out if you choose not to read it. There is so much more to it than the simple idea of Big Brother. Winston's job itself is to constantly control information, redefining history at the whim of his government. The only salvation he finds from everything is in Julia, which eventually he loses and betrays as well. It was so prophetic for it's time and Orwell is still relevant to today. Any post-democratic story follows along the ideas that Orwell presents in this book. And as a musician, you should most certainly be interested in these topics. What if the government were to censor music as harshly as they do in 1984. Plato the philosopher once said that music bypasses the Reason entirely and goes straight to the soul. I believe he was absolutely right, but to censor music would be one of the biggest ways to take away the voice of the people. It's a shame that you haven't read this book, but you could write a one page report about anything from the book. ****, write the paper about how they have sex in the woods. It's one of the few places that there are no cameras and although sex has been suppressed heavily, it's amazing how God has designed us in such a way to enjoy such a gift, it's a shame that it is abused outside of marriage, or in the case of the book, abused in that it is not allowed to be enjoyed at all. I am a Christian, so I believe I find even more points of value from this book. Sorry I keep rambling, it's simply amazing and you should read it anyways.
Peace,
Kyle
Quote by fade177
Are you kidding me!!! this is a great book and you are missing out if you choose not to read it. There is so much more to it than the simple idea of Big Brother. Winston's job itself is to constantly control information, redefining history at the whim of his government. The only salvation he finds from everything is in Julia, which eventually he loses and betrays as well. It was so prophetic for it's time and Orwell is still relevant to today. Any post-democratic story follows along the ideas that Orwell presents in this book. And as a musician, you should most certainly be interested in these topics. What if the government were to censor music as harshly as they do in 1984. Plato the philosopher once said that music bypasses the Reason entirely and goes straight to the soul. I believe he was absolutely right, but to censor music would be one of the biggest ways to take away the voice of the people. It's a shame that you haven't read this book, but you could write a one page report about anything from the book. ****, write the paper about how they have sex in the woods. It's one of the few places that there are no cameras and although sex has been suppressed heavily, it's amazing how God has designed us in such a way to enjoy such a gift, it's a shame that it is abused outside of marriage, or in the case of the book, abused in that it is not allowed to be enjoyed at all. I am a Christian, so I believe I find even more points of value from this book. Sorry I keep rambling, it's simply amazing and you should read it anyways.
Peace,
Kyle
wait... who are you talking too??

Quote by fade177
Peace,
Kyle

Great until the God part.
/rotten apple of cynicism

Anyway,

I consider Nineteen Eight-Four to be the greatest book I have read.

As part of the analysis you have to do, refer to the book Winston reads for the Brotherhood. It analyses the entire governmental system.
Quote by soccermom
HELL YES!

tis some pretty intresting, I have nearly read (masturbated) to all the articles on Wiki.

Also, there is no proof as to whether Big Brother exists or not. I would not call him "fictional" because obviously he's in a character in a fiction novel. Instead, I would call him something of an entity, someone or something who's presence is constantly felt throughout the book but never seen.