Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Anywho, Ive been trying to memorize a bunch of different chords and it isnt going very quickly.

Now I know that it will take time, but I was wondering, is there a fast way to really get those chords memorized? Ive been thinking maybe flashcards would do the trick, but reading paper isnt exactly the same as fingering a guitar neck.

Cheers
get a poster with a bunch of chords on it and play them over and over...
My rig:

Guitars:
Ibanez Jetking 2 (electric)
Hohner HW300-G TBK (acoustic)

Amps:
Peavey Encore 65
Crate CP-150 and building my own cabinet in the summer

Effects:
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
...and over and over and over and over and over and over...
My rig:

Guitars:

Amps:
Peavey Encore 65

Effects:
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
and over.
My rig:

Guitars:

Amps:
Peavey Encore 65

Effects:
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
Thats what Ive been doing, but its going quite slow. Also, its kind of hard to tell where to start. Are there any I should learn first for a good basis?
Try to find songs that you like that has the chords you are trying to memorize in them. You will memorize them pretty quickly playing those songs!
keep learning songs. you'll start to notice that there are certain chords that are used over and over and over again in different songs. you won't be able to not remember them. Chords like: C, D, Dm, E, Em, G, A, Am are used frequently in a bunch a songs. then from there you'll probably start to learn variations of those chords ("I only have to lift one finger and it makes a completely different chord? COOL!"). and after that you'll get into barre chords which are easy to remember (but difficult to play at first).

and once you get past all of those, you'll be ready to move on and start learning some chords that aren't so common. at that point, you won't have any problem at all remembering chords.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Play it and say it loud.Also play songs with that particular chord
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Find songs that you like with chords you can play and play them over and over.

Then pick another song.

The reason to pick one you like? Guitar is a waste of time if you don't enjoy it.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
In the short term, learn songs that use them

In the long term, stop tyring to "memorise" chords and instead learn how to construct chords from the major scale. Once you do that you'll never have to memorise another chord again.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 19, 2007,
At the beginning, just learn the basics: A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, G... and maybe F.

These are the chords you're going to see the most, then just slowly add in new chords as you encounter them in songs you want to play. There is really no need to try and memorize 50 open chords shapes when you're barely going to need any of them.

Also you can progress from the basic chords into barre chords and that opens up a huge range of chords you can play with just a few basic shapes.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Last edited by krims0n at Nov 19, 2007,
What songs are you learning? If they're composed of the basic chords (A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, G), then just play those chords over and over until you're able to finger them all quickly. Once you do that, you'll find it's easier to switch chords if you play the wrong one. Otherwise, just practice and memorize, there's no special way.
I'm a communist. Really.
I am learning guitar too and it isn't that hard to remember them but it is impossible for me to get them not buzz. Is there a trick to get that to stop sooner??? Because it is starting to bug me, but I know i am a beginer trieing to find new tricks and tips Any Help??
Quote by girlygirl8888
I am learning guitar too and it isn't that hard to remember them but it is impossible for me to get them not buzz. Is there a trick to get that to stop sooner??? Because it is starting to bug me, but I know i am a beginer trieing to find new tricks and tips Any Help??

Put more pressure on the strings-- or your action could be high.
Quote by warstories
Put more pressure on the strings-- or your action could be high.

And make sure you fingers are right up next to the fret, but not over the top. If it still buzzes you are banging on the strings really hard or you need to get your guitar setup.
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Quote by steven seagull
In the short term, learn songs that use them

In the long term, stop tyring to "memorise" chords and instead learn how to construct chords from the major scale. Once you do that you'll never have to memorise another chord again.

Yes! Once you understand the theory underlying chord construction you should soon be able to construct them on the fly and not need to remember vast numbers of shapes.
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
Well, thanks everyone. The advice is working. Found a few great songs I liked with the chords and learning them has been a breeze. Hell, I learned 7 new ones like the back of my hand yesterday. But Ive been really focusing on the basic chords. So Ive been playing Trey Anastasio's Strange Design, Take It Easy by The Eagles and The Byrd's Version of Mr Tambourine Man.

Cheers
if you like AC/DC learn the intro part of back in black, its just 1 E, followed by 3 D's, then 3 A's, and palm mute after each part, like palm mute after the E, palm mute after the 3 D's, and palm mute after the 3 A's(just listen to the song and you'll know what i mean). fun song to be able to know and easy.
take a few strings off your guitar and play the chords.

For example, A minor is a chord made up of 3 tones. Those 3 tones are A, C and E. When you play that chord with all the strings on, you play it at the 1st fret. But if you take off the B string, you will need to find another place to play that C tone that you were playing on the B string. Play around with stuff like that

It will force you to see different relationships between tones and strings and thats really what chords and what chords formations are, as well as learning the notes on the fretboard.