Is it possible for me to put 13 gauge electric strings on my acoustic steel string without any damage to the neck or body?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Put Simply... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Bad idea for the neck and it will sound like SHYTE!!
k thanks my friend had some extra strings lying around and i just broke a string on this cheap squire acoustic
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
that's not going to hurt your neck at all. it probably won't sound great... but not necessarily bad... just different. it'll be a fine fix until you can get some acoustic strings though.
I put 11 electric stings on my acoustic, mainly because i was completely broke and my strings really needed to be changed.

I kinda liked how it sounded, real trebley and twangy.

and as long as you have a truss rod...there'd be no problem to the neck.
Yes, it'll sound really trebly. Just like a unplugged electric guitar but amplified acoustically.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
And if you were to do the opposite...?

Just a sudden, probably bad, idéa. Gonna searchbar the electic forum.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Quote by Eklund
And if you were to do the opposite...?

Just a sudden, probably bad, idéa. Gonna searchbar the electic forum.

You mean put acoustic strings on an electric? Even worse idea than the other way due to the composition of the strings. Electric strings are composed with the correct metals to work with the pickups magnetic fields. Acoustic strings don't have the same properties, so would not sound right on an electric, if they could get the pickups to do anything at all.
This is why both type are made, simple as that. Is it such a big deal to put acoustic strings on an acoustic, and electric on an electric? Both cost about the same for the basic strings. Both take the same amount of time to change. Both perform their jobs correctly when used with their respective instrument. Why all the talk about changing it?
I played electric strings on an old Epiphone (long since stolen) for years for playability, I used .010 gauge and it played and sounded good. A bit brighter than standard bronze acoustic strings, but not tinny or anything, just a little brighter. I also used a custom set with larger bass strings, to get better low end. At that time the light top heavy bottom sets didn't exist, so I had to make them up from single strings. .010-.054 The best thing was the plain .018 G string instead of wound, that made leads a lot more playable.

Electric strings won't damage the guitar at all, if it will handle .013 gauge acoustic strings it should handle the electric equivalent pretty well and you'll notice little difference in sound..
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I used .10s on my old crappy acoustic all the time. It made it much brighter, but it didnt DAMAGE the guitar.
I put jazz gauge (.12) D'addario strings on my Sigma Dm-2. It sounded pretty cool for like a week and then started sounding like ****. Not worth it at all.