So me and and a couple of my friends were talking one day, and the majortiy of my friends and theirs listen to metal. They were saying that the reason we listen to rock/metal is to be different, and that if it was popular, we would listen to rap to be different. Personally, I have always liked the sound of Rock, popular or not, and the past 3 years, metal. I personally don't care wether its popular or not, in fact, I hope it becomes popular, so theres a better chance for good rock/metal bands. But anaway,

Do you listen to Metal because its not popular?
I don't really listen to metal.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I listen to metal for the pure energy that I get from that stuff.

Makes me feel good.

Also headbanging is awesome
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Metal is the main solo genre now a days. I think a lot of talent lies in the metal genre, and I farking love a cool solo.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by Guitarislife125
If you only listen to rock/metal to be different then DIE.

Well said.

Anyone who listens to music because of how popular it is is an idiot, regardless if the music is mainstream or underground. I listen to metal because I like the way it sounds, not because of how kvlt it is.

Although, I will admit, I can be a little elitist when it comes to black metal.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by Archaon
Do you think anyone's going to say yes?

Well idk, my friends said thats why they listened to it... I don't know why you would even take the popularity of it into account though
Quote by captainjackass
Well idk, my friends said thats why they listened to it... I don't know why you would even take the popularity of it into account though

Get new friends. Your old ones are broken methinks.
I only listen to metal so people think I'm "hardcore." When I'm alone I play Britney Spears.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
I listen to metal simply because I like it (I don't know, maybe it's a chemical thing or something) and it has staying power (meaning I want to keep listening to it).
i love metal more than anything but i listen to rap too.
my gear:
ibanez RG
digitech RP250
crate RFX15
marshall 30-watt

ignore the username
Quote by Eminored
I'd start a World War too if I listened to enough polka.

Quote by COBHC728
To TriviumJunkie: You need rehab my friend

stanleybach ur fucking banned!!
APSH!!
i have always listened to metal. i grew up listening to bands shredding in restaurants in california
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
I listen to metal because I love how technically difficult it is compared to other genres... I also think jeff loomis is a sexy beast...

I'm not gay....

i listen to metal. it is one of the least corrupted forms of music. its a bunch of guys wanting to make noise, but they want you to enjoy it too. and thats what they do. theres much less of the people telling them what to play, and its more pure, in my opinion.

so yeah. i listen to metal, and i like to think that im different because i do. i love it when people tell me that what im listening to is too heavy for them because i feel like i can see a beauty that they cant, and it makes me feel like maybe THIS form of music that i love wont get screwed up as much as other music.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by captainjackass

Do you listen to Metal because its not popular?

If you do or don't listen to a genre of music based on its popularity, you are a conformist. It doesn't matter if its some underground band or one that has sold 20 million, your taste in music should be dictated on what you personally believe sounds good, not what makes you look cool, or unique. You are and individual because of the choices YOU make, not the choices other people make.
Quote by captainjackass
In my area, Rap is popular, and my firends were comparing it to metal, which isn't as popular

rap is popular everywhere.
i only like 2 rap bands and alot of rapcore.

but i LOVE the metal.
my gear:
ibanez RG
digitech RP250
crate RFX15
marshall 30-watt

ignore the username
Quote by Eminored
I'd start a World War too if I listened to enough polka.

Quote by COBHC728
To TriviumJunkie: You need rehab my friend

stanleybach ur fucking banned!!
APSH!!
Hes probably making this stuff up about his friends, he probably listens to metal to try and be different and 'cool'.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

yous should really work on that.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
metal is preety popular in an underground sense

i like it that way because there are no try hards and posers just in there to be cool

if metal was more popular(which is almost impossible because its not exactly radio friendly) it wouldn't make the music crap now would it?
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
Quote by instagata0
i listen to metal. it is one of the least corrupted forms of music. its a bunch of guys wanting to make noise, but they want you to enjoy it too. and thats what they do. theres much less of the people telling them what to play, and its more pure, in my opinion.

so yeah. i listen to metal, and i like to think that im different because i do. i love it when people tell me that what im listening to is too heavy for them because i feel like i can see a beauty that they cant, and it makes me feel like maybe THIS form of music that i love wont get screwed up as much as other music.

I don't really see how it necasarrily (I suck at spelling) makes it more pure, because in any genre of music its a group of people making the noise they want to and enjoying it. otherwise they wouldnt be playing it. What people probably mean by heavy isnt meaningful, but heavy as in distorted and not be able to understand it.

I think people should listen to whatever they want to, but I think it would be cool if metal became popular because that would mean more bands, and a better chance of finding some really good music.

Im not changing my opinion on it though based on popularity. When metal stops sounding good to me, ill stop listening to it. If one day I feel like listening to it, I will. Simple as that, or so I thought.
Quote by alwaysmetal
metal is preety popular in an underground sense

i like it that way because there are no try hards and posers just in there to be cool

if metal was more popular(which is almost impossible because its not exactly radio friendly) it wouldn't make the music crap now would it?

There are a ton of posers in metal.
Quote by Guitarislife125

*cough*slipknot*cough*
I think there's a lot of retards that do get into Metal for that reason and when I was about 13 I'm sad to say I was one of those retards. However, as I got to listen to the music more I enjoyed it more and more to the point of obsession that I have with Metal today. IMO most people that get into Metal this way either
1: Eventually get mature, realize they were complete twats and stop listening to Metal fully because they never really got into it for the music (sad part is these people associate anybody who likes Metal with the immature little bugger they used to be).
2: Eventually get mature, realize they were complete twats and find that Metal is an awesome genre of "music" not some just some form of entertainment meant for teen angst against society because they're "different" and can't handle it.
3: Never get mature and become plagues upon Metal creating a false depiction of what Metal is/is about to others who enjoy stereotyping the genre and its fans.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Guitarislife125

really i dont know any

unless u mean poser by a different meaning to me

to me a poser is someone who says they like something but really dont

EDIT: that was very poorly worded
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
with all due respect, your friends are either really confused or just stupid

that has to be the most idiotic reason for listening to a genre..it's not that you like it, it's that everyone else doesn't..

seriously WTF?!?
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

I listen to metal and all of the other genres I listen to because I like them. I like the music, the lyrics, etc. I'm not trying to like everyone else, and I'm not trying to be different. If I end up being like everybody else, or if I end up being different, then so be it. That being said, I'd much rather be different.
rub icy hot on your friends see if that helps

if not just make them listen to dream theater for hours on end
Quote by darkstar2466
Quote by alwaysmetal
really i dont know any

unless u mean poser by a different meaning to me

to me a poser is someone who says they like something but really dont

EDIT: that was very poorly worded

Slipknot, A7X, the list goes on. There are tons of metal bands that are sellouts and posers. Every single genre of music has them and you're blind to think that metal is somehow above that.

Quote by alwaysmetal
rub icy hot on your friends see if that helps

Fail.
Quote by type2two
I listen to metal and all of the other genres I listen to because I like them. I like the music, the lyrics, etc. I'm not trying to like everyone else, and I'm not trying to be different. If I end up being like everybody else, or if I end up being different, then so be it. That being said, I'd much rather be different.

Its infinitely better to be like everyone else because of what you believe then to be different because its how you want people to see you. Only one of those options makes you yourself and an individual, and I can guarantee selling your values short to improve your outward appearance and "uniqueness" is not one of them.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Its infinitely better to be like everyone else because of what you believe then to be different because its how you want people to see you. Only one of those options makes you yourself and an individual, and I can guarantee selling your values short to improve your outward appearance and "uniqueness" is not one of them.

Completely agreed but there are always gonna be those people that you don't want to associate yourself with.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

When it comes to metal, I really only listen to Nu Metal and Shred, so I dunno. Those two are really on polar opposite ends of the Popular Scale.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
by conforming to non conformist standards.. are you not conforming?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

YOUR INPUT IS VALUED IN THIS THREAD!
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.