Hey PinkIsCool,

A shockmount is a way of lightly securing the mic in place. Large diaphram microphones can be sensitive to the slightest vibrations. For example, if you have a really springy or hollow mic stand and accidently nudge it you'll create some unwanted vibrations that can be translated by that sensitive mic. The shockmount tries to isolate those vibrations.

The mic itself rests on two bungee cords wrapped in a pattern around the mic via 16 metal brackets. It shouldn' go anywhere anytime soon. The MXL990 is a great mic, it's a really good quality entry-level mic, great bang for the buck. You will love this mic.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Okay thanks for your trouble but I guess what I'm really trying to ask here is what kind of stand will I have to buy for this sucker?
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
Okay thanks for your trouble but I guess what I'm really trying to ask here is what kind of stand will I have to buy for this sucker?

Your standard mic stand will support it.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Your standard mic stand will support it.

Al right thanks that's all I needed to know.
I'm a person.
Its not a top notch mic but its nice to start off with.
its what im planning to get for my next vocal mic....I may get a Studio Projects B1 instead but right now for the price I'm looking at the 990
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 21, 2007,
it does work quite well for vocals. and it works great for acoustic guitars. we use it alot for ambeint mics for guitar cabs.
I bought the MXL 990 in a set along with the 991 small diaphram, they both work well, very clean tone and good performance. I probably wouldn't use these if I owned a studio, but for working in my home studio, they are a good buy.