Page 1 of 2
so i see teenagers everywhere talk about how they don't want to conform, or are "non-conformists"..well I don't get it. no matter what you believe, you're conforming to something. whether you support to the idea of a religion, a lack of a religion, or even the idea of non-conformism, you're still conforming to something. Anyone else agree? Also, with there being nearly 7 billion people on this earth, the idea that you could be completely different from everyone else is ridiculous..
yeah, well it's annoying when i'm around other teenagers and they're like "non-conformism! anarchy!" and i'm like "stfu you're homeschooled.."

it comes naturally with raging puberty hormones and the transition from parents being a main influence to peer groups having the most impact on a young person's place, standing, and ideas in society.
Last edited by skeptopotamus at Nov 19, 2007,
Oh my god... yes, I freakin' hate them. One of my friends thinks he is completely non-conformist... but I mean, being non-conformist is just a trend with these kids... and they ARE conforming, whether they know it or not.

They wear school uniforms, most of 'em listen to iPods or wear Converse shoes.

Best just to humour them, and let them have their fun.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
You're unique, just like everybody else.
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
idk i hear that crap alot in my high skool... mostly from the white kids but w/e.
i guess some pepople just dont want to learn anything and stay ignorant anout a set way of life...
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
To shout non-conformity like your special or above other people is stupid. Same goes with a conformist who thinks he's above everyone because he wears designer abercrombie jeans like all the "cool" people do. A real non-conformist plays by his own rules and doesn't give a ****, he doesn't need to announce it.
"Yesterday seems as though it never existed
Death Greets me warm, now I will just say good-bye." -

Metallica - Fade to Black
Last edited by Year Zero at Nov 19, 2007,
lol dude are you from the 90's??
Non- conformism is so 90's. It's all about partying now.

PARTEh lyke uh rawkstar!!!
t-t-t totally d00dddd
God I hate that. People are like "anarchy! non-conformism! yeah!" at my school. It pisses me off.
that's a very broad definition..

The dictionary defines it as,

"A person who uncritically or habitually conforms to the customs, rules, or styles of a group."

edit: i guess that guy deleted his post..
i dont conform to all the non-conformists....even though doing so im a non-conformist to non-conformists.....

.....i live by my own gaddamn rules
People want to think they're special when in fact they're retarded.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I don't believe in conformity. People do what they want to do to make them happy and secure in their life, whether that be through religion, political alignment, music preference, clothing, etc etc. If somebody sees somebody dress a certain way and decides "hey, I want to dress like that too" I really don't see it as conformity, it's just something that sparks that particular interest. If you think that conformity is real then technically that means everybody conforms to something. I'm a liberal atheist who listens to metal, so that means one could argue that I conform to those things (even though it's seen as the "non-conformist" way to go).
Last edited by Uncle Fonzie at Nov 19, 2007,
im like the non-conformist to the crowd im in which is kind of strange and hard to explain, but i can be really bubbly and outgoing from what im told so alot of my friends are the same way or really preppy but i look and dress gothic, all clothes from hot topic with red and black hair. so people think im a non-conformist but i really just look like it to the group im in, i wanna be me but i dont care if i look or act like someone else
empty the bullets from the chamber
im not sure what you're hoping to acheive with this other than point out how enlightened you are. in fact, i'd say you're acting in the same fashion as the self-righteous 'non-conformist' people you so despise.
Probably the only true uniqueness that anyone could possibly have in the world today is their DNA, and there's still a chance, albeit an extremely minuscule one, that somebody has the same DNA as you.
Your a statistic no matter where you stand, we'll all die eventually anyways, does it really even matter?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Its like that South Park episode where they ask all of the Goth-kids to dance for them.
They all say no cause they're "non-conformists"
Then one says; "I'm so non-conformist, I'm not going to conform to you guys conforming."
He owned the other Goth-kids with that line.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
i dont think your always going to be conforming to someone...to me a non-conformist can be like other people, but only in the way that hes pullilng some of his ideas from the other people to make his own. Not following those people in hopes of being different. finding yourself, who you are, and what makes YOU happy is non conformity to me. not doing something because your friends say you should
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
Quote by Spamwise
yeah, well it's annoying when i'm around other teenagers and they're like "non-conformism! anarchy!" and i'm like "stfu you're homeschooled.."

Indeed. Its annoying, (though ironically homeschooling is in direct support of anarchy and non-conformism since it is based on self (or paternal) reliance and not on the reliance of a government body or social circles).

They have no idea what they're talking about and probably couldn't live in true anarchy since they would have no corporations to feed them their mass produced non-conformist consumer products.
Quote by x_thurston_x
Your a statistic no matter where you stand, we'll all die eventually anyways, does it really even matter?

Not all of us, as I'm actually an Immortal. I walk the earth battling other Immortals and stealing their Quickening by cutting off their head.
Quote by Masonpwiley
God I hate that. People are like "anarchy! non-conformism! yeah!" at my school. It pisses me off.

Ask them if they actually can explain the etymology of anarchy or what it means.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Read Ayn Rand.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
It's that damn Rock & Roll music!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Snowblind 911
Oh my god... yes, I freakin' hate them. One of my friends thinks he is completely non-conformist... but I mean, being non-conformist is just a trend with these kids... and they ARE conforming, whether they know it or not.

They wear school uniforms, most of 'em listen to iPods or wear Converse shoes.

Best just to humour them, and let them have their fun.

I like to think I'm non-conformist, but i just want to be different, but as this thread demonstrates, i'm really not.

I wear a uniform cause if i don't, i will get expelled and there goes the $8000 a year school fees payed for by my parents. I use an Ipod because it is practical and I DON'T wear converse because:
1: everyone wears them, so I don't, seeing how I'm all "non-conformist" and all
2: They are terribly impractical.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
I'm such a non-conformist I'm not conforming with the other non-conformists.

<3 southpark.
It's a natural part of the process wherein teenagers find their own self-identity.
When a child is born, it is helpless and holds no opinions of his own.
As he grows, he is cared for by adults who inform him of their own opinions by their actions, this influences the child's thought process to such an extent that the child starts to hold similar views.
However once puberty has occurred, certain physiological changes happen in the maturing brain. The rising hormone levels cause a flurry of activity, which, as a side effect can result in the young adult rejecting previously strongly held beliefs and forming their own.

Some young adults take this rejection of others views to an extreme, dismissing the beliefs of everyone, including members of their own peer group - the non-conformism you hate so much has a direct correlation with this.
The end result of all this psychological upheaval usually results in well- balanced young individuals who can think for themselves, something you must agree is welcome in society.

Or as someone above said so succinctly - Teenagers think they are rebellious, it's cute.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

I don't quite agree. You can conform to any given, I'd say "personal aesthetic" but you can call it "stereotype", or you can choose not to, or something in between. There are some preexisting, common ones, and virtually everyone, self-described "non-comformist" or not, subscribes to one of them. There are others one could come up with, it's theoretically possible to be at least on some level "unique", it's just that no one does it.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Why is it all the people who want to 'be different' all dress and act the same?
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
Why is it all the people who want to 'be different' all dress and act the same?

Because non-conformism is a style and not an ideal. If you don't conform to the non-conformist type of dress you're a conformist.
You can look at what individuality really is though and say everyone is either a 'conformist' or a 'non-conformist'.

For example, I have Brown eyes, I can't change it, but Billions of people do. But, I am the only person who is me, I AM unique because of all the little things that aren't unique are put together.

*Shrug*
Goths aren't nonconformists. They're goths. Same goes for emos.
As for true nonconformists, you see them every once and a while. There's a kid in my school who paints his face with a weird design everyday, and sits alone and knits at lunch. Idunno, the "misfit" kids seem more like true nonconformists than anyone who actually tries to be.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
I was talking to this Goth freshman girl, and she got all crazy and angrily told me how she was a "unique" goth and wore her black clothes because she didn't want to be like the rest of society.

I replied with "Yeah, I guess you're right. You're unique, just like all of your friends are too."
Quote by 6079 Smith W
One time I had this chick setting on my lap, sucking on my neck, unbuttoning my pants when one of my friends walked in and ruined the whole thing. To be fair though, she was his girlfriend.

Shoopin' that whoop since before you were born, son.
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
I don't believe in conformity. People do what they want to do to make them happy and secure in their life, whether that be through religion, political alignment, music preference, clothing, etc etc. If somebody sees somebody dress a certain way and decides "hey, I want to dress like that too" I really don't see it as conformity, it's just something that sparks that particular interest. If you think that conformity is real then technically that means everybody conforms to something. I'm a liberal atheist who listens to metal, so that means one could argue that I conform to those things (even though it's seen as the "non-conformist" way to go).

+3.14.....
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Everything is conformity. the only way to not conform would be to lock yourself in your house until you die.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I consider myself non-conformist. I don't listen to Anarchy-Promoting punk all the time (Although I do love me some Sex Pistols) and I don't dress weird. I just be myself and do what I like. I don't avoid something because everyone's doing it.
Page 1 of 2