Firstly let me apologise as I am sure that this thread has been covered somewhere in here... but hey I am computer illiterate so please excuse me and explain how to tune via harmonics. I have been shown once and have a reasonable ear but a terrible memory...
All advice appreciated .... so long as it is good advice

Justin
Last edited by justinaxe at Nov 19, 2007,
Well you must have at least one string in tune or you can tune relatively so your guitar will be in tune to play by itself but may be out of tune in comparison to other instruments.

This is how I was taught to do it, but there are many other ways involving octaves or other intervals. Mine involves equalizing the pitch.

Right so take the low E string and play a harmonic on the fifth fret. Play a harmonic on the seventh fret A string. Equal it to the E string's pitch. Do the same with all strings.

Note that this trick doesn't work from G to B strings because they are at a different interval than the other ones. I just tune those the regular way, using open string and 4th fret reference or using the E major chord and tuning like that. Or I just use a tuner if I'm lazy.

If anyone knows any other methods with harmonics, I'm also keen to learn them.
harmonic tuning is pretty cool, and a lot more accurate than your normal tuning.

So for standard tuning, i.e. eadgbe, a harmonic on the 5th on the bottom string and a harmonic on the 7th of the next string should create a perfect sine wave, which is heard as a single note.

If it is out of tune, you'll hear this wavy sound, kinda like someone dancing on a wah pedal, if the wavy sound gets slower, it's getting more in tune, and vice versa.

doesn't work for the 2nd and 3rd strings, which you'll have to use the old method.

edit: dang, just got beaten to it
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
For the SECOND string. you can use the harmonic on the seventh fret of the low E-string. If you go from low to high at least.

e
B - 0
G
D
A
E - <7>

=same note