So Im quite happy with my Behringer amp but have always wanted an Ampeg since Im more fond of their tone.
My Behringer BXL1800A Combo is a decent 12X1 amp, and I wonder if I could buy myself an Ampeg SVT-450H head and use it with the Behringer as a cabinet.
Freaky. I was considering doing the same thing to my own amp (The same combo as yours, but with the normal speaker cone..not aluminium)

I honestly don't see why it wouldn't be possible. With my understanding of electronics, and how speaker cabinets work (I'm pretty sure speakers are powered solely through the amp, and they dont have their own power supply), all it would take is to rewire the input to the speaker, and install another input jack. Or perhaps a bypass through the combo head straight to the speaker. Granted, you would need some knowledge of electronics to do this. Either will void the warranty, though.

With my understanding of the whole process, the only issue should be wattage and ohm load of the speaker in the combo. It should be in the manual, or, lacking that, it is on the back of the speaker. But you need to pull it apart to get to it....
First, you will blow up the speaker because I can guarantee, without looking, that your behringer combo will not handle 450 watts RMS, no way in hell. Secondly if you run that amazing head - it is a very good head - through a behringer - the worst company to ever come onto the scene - you will get murdered.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Secondly if you run that amazing head - it is a very good head - through a behringer - the worst company to ever come onto the scene - you will get murdered.

Ha, I agree, at least get a cheap Gallien-Krueger cab to go with an Ampeg head.
Epi LP Custom SILVERBURST

Quote by thefitz

Hold it like you hold a Crunchwrap Supreme.

Official Chiodos Fan of the Bass Militia
PM DinkyDaisy to Join
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
First, you will blow up the speaker because I can guarantee, without looking, that your behringer combo will not handle 450 watts RMS, no way in hell. Secondly if you run that amazing head - it is a very good head - through a behringer - the worst company to ever come onto the scene - you will get murdered.

I once saw a Behringer head on top of an Ampeg SVT 810 and even that made me shed a single tear.

You will most definetly need a new cabinet for that head, not only because Behringer is terrible, but a new cabinet will help bring out the full potential of that head. Save your pennies, and invest in a new cabinet to go with the head.

Ashdown, Hartke and Gallien Krueger are the big three when it comes to quality, on-a-budget cabinets. You could look into used Ampeg and SWR gear too, sometimes you can find a great deal.

I also noticed that Kustom has a new line of combos, heads and cabinets out for a very reasonable price, but I have never used or heard any reviews on them yet.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Last time I checked GK didnt come cheap.
Well investing in a new head as well as a cabinet will most likely make me sell the Behringer.
And Ill probably have to buy it second handed :\

So anybody have a good site that sells bass gear second handed?
All three companies I mentioned sell either a 4x10 and/or a 1x15 that handles at least 300 watts and is priced as low as $300, that's quite a deal if you ask me.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
The lack of Carvin in this thread is disturbing
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
The lack of Carvin in this thread is disturbing

+1 to that, but the lack of Carvin making a 4 ohm 410 that's not expensive neodynium speakers is even more disturbing. They make a 4 ohm 210, but not a 4 ohm 410. Their 15's and 18's are 4 ohms, however.

And TS, you have a 12x1 combo?! Man, does Phil Jones make the cabinet, or what?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..