ok, i'm basically retarded when it comes to pickups, but all i kno, is that mine suck. I have a johnson cataylst (which is a pretty decent guitar) with humbucker pickups. I need help with these questions:

1.what pickups would you reccomend for someone who plays metal, classic rock, and hardcore/thrash.
2.what types of pickups are there and how do they differ?
3.How do i change pickups?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-thanks
Yes my name is Tom Petty.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
(crappy)RED Marshall Mg100hdfx Halfstack
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
i needed help deciding as well and im going with the dimarzio D-sonic picups for the bridge and Air notron for the neck. they seem good i havent gotten them yet.

as far as installing you would have to be able to do some soldering. not too hard though
peavey TransTube 112 EFX

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
although, i believe it's the older 258efx model, but they are essentially the same

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Well, i just got done using Guitarfetish.com, and they seem to be extremely good pickups considering the price. But during my search (Not a good enough shredder to really play metal, but i occasionally like my music crunchy. i like listening to it.) I also looked at EMG's and Seymour duncan humbuckers

Heard it's a little complicated to put in active pickups, especially if your guitar didn't come with them, but if you're handy with a soldering iron it's pretty easy. Mine also came with wiring diagrams, so that simplified it even more. Good luck!
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.