How does a Gibson Les Paul Studio rate vs a Gibson Les Paul Special (Faded?)?

I know that each guitar is indiual etc, but just in general...

Thanks!

Edit: Yes, I am looking at buying both of them... One of them a used Studio, for around 1200$ and a special at the same price... It's over the net, so I probably won't have a chance to try out the exact guitar that I'm buying... I have tried Gibson LPs before tho, just wondering what you guys think...

The Gibson Les Paul Special is upgraded with a Lindy Fralin humbucker in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge position.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Nov 19, 2007,
I live in Norway, so the Studios cost a LOT more here. If I buy via ebay I have to add like 25 % to the price or something...

They actually cost 2000$ new. And as musiciansfriend doesn't ship here, (plus the 25% extra costs) I might aswell buy one from a Norweigan person...
Last edited by JilaX^ at Nov 19, 2007,
Well I would recommend a Studio used still. Late 90's Studios are AWESOME!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by dewdadrew
Get Vintage!

Vintage? Care to explain further? Cuz I'm not sure I'm getting you here...
Quote by JilaX^
Vintage? Care to explain further? Cuz I'm not sure I'm getting you here...
Vintage are a pretty good brand that make some very good quality LP copies. If you're looking for a cheap LP, they're a good way to go.

That said...

Do not touch the Studio. They're made from offcuts of lower grade wood. Despite the advertising, they are NOT just 'a standard without the pretty finish'. They are tonally like a cheap SG (in fact I've heard Epiphone SGs that sound exactly like Gibson LP Studios), rather than like a decent LP.

Want a cheap Gibson? The Classic and Classic Antique are your best bets. They're made to the same quality standard as the Gibson Standards, but with different pickups (arguably better/worse, depends what you want), and lower prices (less finish/neck option combinations, they're slightly cheaper for Gibson to produce too which takes the price down). In most countries, a Classic Antique (the cheapest of the two) will cost normally just one or two hundred more than the Studio, and it's leagues ahead of the Studio in terms of quality.

Really, LP Studios are not a viable option for anyone, unless you really can only afford the absolute cheapest guitar, with no way of saving more money, and if you really insist on having a guitar with the Gibson logo on the headstock. For everyone else though, the Classic/Classic Antique are the only good cheap Gibson LPs, and failing that, an Epiphone LP Standard with upgraded pickups and tuners will be closer to a real Gibson LP than a Gibson Studio LP is. Or, there's Tokai and Vintage for great LP copies, ESP do some damn nice ones, Agile and Edwards aren't bad, and Michael Kelly Patriots are alright so long as you don't mind the slightly different shape (personally I hate them, but everyone else here has a hard-on for them).
i think the only difference between them is that the les paul specials have had a bit more time spent on them with the fancy gold hardware and things like that...hence why the studio is cheaper than a lp special.

correct me if im wrong.
Quote by bokuho
Vintage are a pretty good brand that make some very good quality LP copies. If you're looking for a cheap LP, they're a good way to go.

That said...

Do not touch the Studio. They're made from offcuts of lower grade wood. Despite the advertising, they are NOT just 'a standard without the pretty finish'. They are tonally like a cheap SG (in fact I've heard Epiphone SGs that sound exactly like Gibson LP Studios), rather than like a decent LP.

Want a cheap Gibson? The Classic and Classic Antique are your best bets. They're made to the same quality standard as the Gibson Standards, but with different pickups (arguably better/worse, depends what you want), and lower prices (less finish/neck option combinations, they're slightly cheaper for Gibson to produce too which takes the price down). In most countries, a Classic Antique (the cheapest of the two) will cost normally just one or two hundred more than the Studio, and it's leagues ahead of the Studio in terms of quality.

Really, LP Studios are not a viable option for anyone, unless you really can only afford the absolute cheapest guitar, with no way of saving more money, and if you really insist on having a guitar with the Gibson logo on the headstock. For everyone else though, the Classic/Classic Antique are the only good cheap Gibson LPs, and failing that, an Epiphone LP Standard with upgraded pickups and tuners will be closer to a real Gibson LP than a Gibson Studio LP is. Or, there's Tokai and Vintage for great LP copies, ESP do some damn nice ones, Agile and Edwards aren't bad, and Michael Kelly Patriots are alright so long as you don't mind the slightly different shape (personally I hate them, but everyone else here has a hard-on for them).

Well, a lot of the brands you mentioned aren't really avaiable in Norway, and importing is a bitch because of +25% to the price because of VAT...

How about the Les Paul special then?

It's singlecute and with the humbuckers I mention in my first post installed... The person selling it runs a business with a reputation for selling good guitars and basses.

Thank you so much for the input btw, I've decided to steer away from the Studio, maybe just go look at a Fender or something instead... Or get an Epiphone Les Paul standard and swap out the pick ups for some Gibson '57 buckers...