I have been playing guitar for about 3 months, i use 11-52s on my acoustic and 9-42s on my electric. I don't really count this as a problem but when i practice a lot the skin on my fingertips starts to break up a bit (go a bit dry). I am in no pain whatsoever when i play guitar, even when i do bends on my acoustic theres no pain. I'm just wondering if this is normal with the buildup of callouses, it happened last month as well when i got a bit obsessed during a week off and played a lot due to extreme boredom. Because callouses are basically dead skin, is this just me wearing the skin out

Thanks in advance!
you're going to get callouses. totally normal. My left hand looks crazy after years of playing and weight lifting. it's like one big callous! it's kinda gross actually.

There are stories of Stevie Ray Vaughn tearing off his callouses while playing shows and every night super gluing them back on.

I would like to make the suggestion to move up a gauge on your string size. you'll be a lot happier with your tone.
It's normal to get callouses. Once you get a nice hard skin, chunks will stop falling off and it'll be nice and smooth.
Completely normal. If you don't get them, you're not playing enough
Wahey! Yea i'm moving up to 10s on my electric in a few months when my current strings get dirty. I heard SRV used 13s
Try not to play just after a shower/washing-up/getting your hands too wet. If you do I find the callouses tend to start peeling etc. If they do start to flake then you could try a nail file (but softly).

Ultimately, you need to learn to love them - they're what stop your fingers hurting when you play.
Calouses are totally normal for any activity involving friction with your skin...
For some reaon I haven't got any in 2 years of playing guitar and 7 of violin ...
My fngers are soft as a babies bottom and I play a lot every day...
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
Calouses are totally normal for any activity involving friction with your skin...
For some reaon I haven't got any in 2 years of playing guitar and 7 of violin ...
My fngers are soft as a babies bottom and I play a lot every day...

Maybe you have a very light touch? That's a good thing, I think
Quote by Kanthras
Maybe you have a very light touch? That's a good thing, I think

haha, could be....
But I don't know how light I could possibly be playing on a 7 string and on a bass and still not get calouses...Maybe I have magic fingers....ooh!
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
do u think yngwie malmsteen has alot because he use scalloped necks
Quote by EEF13
do u think yngwie malmsteen has alot because he use scalloped necks

Hmm for some reason I wanna say no, because you're supposed to use a very light touch with a scalloped neck so the pressure doesn't throw the notes out of tune. But the dude shreds so actually he probably has a ton anyway.