Hello... this is the... requirements i guess

Budget: ~400-500 USD
2 or more Channels...
Good for clean to low gain to mid/high gain distortion... so pretty versatile i guess? I dont think I'll need crazy metal sound... just like... good distortion for punk / hard rock
Combo Amp
Can either be tube or SS i guess...
Loud enough to play in a soundproof room (somewhat) with a somewhat hard hitting drummer and maybe a singer

Thanks~

P.S... Ive not looked into fender amps at all... are they more for the clean and low gain side of the sound??
If you're looking for 'hard rock gain' Fenders aren't what you want. Unless you're willing to go for a petal or two as well. It can certainly be done it's just not what Fenders (out of the box) are best at.

There are lots of excellent options in the this price range though, and many of them are available widely at Guitar Center or other such chains.

Palomino V32 - A class tube combo, technically single channel but with a distortion 'boost'. Loud, with gobs of tone. $500
Roland Cube 60 - Great cleans, decent mid-gain, excellent high-ish gain. Solid reputation and on the cheaper end of things too. $350
Epiphone Blues Custom - Technically just outside your price range, but probably (I've never tried it) with your time to find. Epiphone amplifiers (unlike their guitars imo) are a solid, if not great value. Also look around for a Triggerman 60 (their solid state combo, Musicians Friend isn't listing any right now, which is strange... $550
Vox AD50VT-212 - 2 speakers for added definition and tone, though I've heard replacing the stockers with some Celestion Vintage 30s or Blues really brings these amps to life. Already a tonal bargain with more features than you can really ask for. $400
Crate RFX120 - I've had one for two and a half years now, it's been through all kinds of abuse... I'm still pretty satisfied with it because anytime I get frustrated with my tone I can work it out with the EQ, which alters the tone quite a lot... Great tone, good rhythmic delays, comes with the three-channel + effect preset changing footswitch. - $350
Crate RFX or VTX 200 - Again, monster solid state amps with tweakable tone. These even have gain control on the clean channel for a light overdrive-ish sort of tone. But they're beasts (heavy as hell, the included rollers should be used often and extensively) and they're on the higher end of your price range. $500
Randall RG75G3 - To be honest had I tried this before I bough the RFX120 I might've grabbed one of these. Every time I run into one of these relatively inexpensive Randalls I'm blown away by how good they actually sound; even clean. Try one if you can find one, if not it's not a huge loss.

Other advice: not matter how good it seems at the time don't buy a Spider amp, they all suck, period. No Marshalls either, the MG or even AVT amps in your price range aren't worth the circuits they're made of next to other similarly priced amps. Also avoid Crate Flexwave amps, the new styling makes them look much better than the XT and EXT amp lines they replace, and they are an improvement, but seriously: you can do better. Just as important: don't buy an XT, EXT, GFX, etc. Crate. Those are worse than Flexwaves by far, but they'll be marked down through the floor because they're now out-of-date models.

Oh and no matter what amp you go for try to bargain your way down, trade in your little practice amp for $50 off or anything to bring the price down just a bit... It's pretty much always possible to get these for a bit less, even though they'll never tell you that until you start acting unsure...
Last edited by RadioMuse at Nov 19, 2007,
If i dont know much about tubes... although most people say they are superior... should i consider them and look a lot into them? or are those amps above just as good?
Quote by PuttYoh
If i dont know much about tubes... although most people say they are superior... should i consider them and look a lot into them? or are those amps above just as good?

If you're looking for good distortion for punk / hard rock, I think you'll consider tubes to be superior, too.

Of the amps listed in this thread, the Palomino V32, Epiphone Blues, Peavey Classic 30 and Valveking are all tube amps. RadioMuse gave you a nice rundown.

The Classic 30, at $600 new, is the most expensive amp listed. It's also the best, IMHO. I'd suggest you track down a used one. They're popular, and all over the place, and generally sell for $400 or less. Best way to get the most amp for your money is to buy a used one.

I haven't spend much time with the Epiphone, but the Palomino would be my second choice despite the fact that it's a single channel amp. An OD pedal and learning to use your guitar's volume knob to go from clean to dirty can be a very good thing.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What about the vox? they look good?

Im also starting to play blues...
^ It's not bad, but it's not nearly as good as a genuine tube amp (one 12AX7 does not a tube amp make). Especially for blues. It's also not great with pedals. It's more of a starter amp, with all your FX built in.

There are better, all tube suggestions in this thread.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ along with a Fender Twin.

C'mon, I know you're defender of the transistor and all, but what type of amp typifies the sound of blues: SS or tube?

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
So generally, the sound of tubes are better 90%...

and remember its not only blues... also like punk and rock ... distortion
+1000 to the classic 30

+1000 to the V32. try em out and rain ur tone over your band!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by PuttYoh
So generally, the sound of tubes are better 90%...

and remember its not only blues... also like punk and rock ... distortion

Yeah, and the same goes for punk and rock, too. Some metalheads prefer the ultra tight distortion of high gain SS amps, but otherwise virtually every other type of gain is better on a tube amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I went to the GC today... tried out the classic 30 and the peavey delta blues.... what do you guys think of the blues?

I also tried the palomino and it was burning... i mean temperature wise, when i touched the knobs, they almost burnt me... is it supposed to be like that?

Are there more amps like the classic or the blues?
although it says "blues" i think the distortion for that one was better than the classic... and the clean too... no?
I think I heard Slats say that the Delta Blues is a cheap AC30 substitute, and that has some sexy overdrive so if its close like Slats says, I would take it in a heartbeat. I'm even liking that it has a 15 inch speaker.
I love the Delta Blues, particularly the 1x15 model. But they're both great amps.

^ And yes, I often refer to the DB as a poor man's AC30.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Are there amps that have a clean like the delta blues and a distortion that is as good or can be made more tight if wanted to? with a lower price.....?