I've been reading Civilization And Its Discontents and it refers to Freud's earlier work, Future Of An Illusion. I don't have time to read both but I need to know about the ideas in FOAI. Does Frued explicitly state that religion and/or God is false? Or does he allow for the existence of a God or the validity of religion, while suggesting that our concept of it is a distraction? I know he refers to religion as an illusion but I'm not sure if he denies the existence of God or just means to say that religion serves to distract man from secular life.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
This is on a waaaay too high intellectual level for The Pit

If you look at it in a literal sense, then yeah, you could say he denies the existence of god. But then with it being one of those conceptual things, it could be argued one way or another depending on ones viewpoint.
Didn't Freud himself say that Religion/philosophy is necessary for a human being to survive? Something about how it helps us cope with certain things that would ordinarily be too stressful for the human mind to fathom without being affected severely. I think that he is saying that God is an Illusion, but he is saying that it is a necessary illusion, since everyone needs some sort of philosophy to get by.
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Quote by Vermintide
This is on a waaaay too high intellectual level for The Pit :p

lolz, +1

anywho, I thought he just said religion was the opium of the masses... wait... nevermind!!

ok, getting serious now, he said that religion was a construct of human imagination to explain the complex aspects of life and distract/appease human minds from the troubles and tribulations this life throws at us, I mean, when you're a 12th century farmer who's more likely to die of cholera than to see his 20th birthday it's good to think that when you die you'll live in eternal paradise if you're not a total douche to people, follow what a guy in a dress tells you and you bow down to the image of a bloodied up guy in a cross and give money to a cult full of more guys wearing dresses
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Quote by Jastul
...follow what a guy in a dress tells you and you bow down to the image of a bloodied up guy in a cross and give money to a cult full of more guys wearing dresses

they're called ceremonial gowns, thank you very much
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me