Well I have a crappy sp-10 amp and im gonna finally upgrade. i was thinking of buying a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT but im still not sure. any suggestions would be appreciated, my budget is around $400 including shipping (musiciansfriend.com) and i play a little bit of everything
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Vox VFS-2 Dual Footswitch
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
The Vox seems good. I personally like Line 6 Spiders, especially their 75W+
Why? They come with preset sounds like a Meshuggah hard sound. It has a tuner as well.
Good sound too...Only 75W and up have the tuner and presets. Check it out.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Thanx I'll check it out
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
the vox will run circles around the Line6, I wouldn't even consider it.
Quote by uldhppi
Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112 tube combo, $429 USD.

^also a good choice
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by iTzMaTT
The Vox seems good. I personally like Line 6 Spiders, especially their 75W+
Why? They come with preset sounds like a Meshuggah hard sound. It has a tuner as well.
Good sound too...Only 75W and up have the tuner and presets. Check it out.

Do not listen to this, Spiders are terrible. The valvetronix or Valveking would be ridiculously better choices.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Peavey classic is even better than VK.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by omarrodrigez
Do not listen to this, Spiders are terrible. The valvetronix or Valveking would be ridiculously better choices.

+1

Quote by darkarbiter7
Peavey classic is even better than VK.

True, but over budget.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Slats: He can easily get a peavey classic 30 used if he got it from a local store.
Buying an amp from Musiciansfriend isn't worth it, because the shipping will be high if you buy something heavy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I live in Puerto Rico and the the local stores I have been to have either had very bad amps or the amps are very overpriced. I checked out the spider amps but all I have heard about them is been negative so im not even considering them. Oh and its only an extra $10 for its weight

ps. im a girl
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
Last edited by Kathya at Nov 19, 2007,
^ Smart move identifying yourself as a girl, you'll get a lot more attention that way.

When you say you play a little bit of everything, what would be the main thing you do? Are you looking for high gain, bluesy overdrive, great cleans... ?

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well i can't really say because i like playing metal but i also like playing stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, I just want an overall good amp
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
Amps that do everything great are expensive. Most amps will specialize in either cleans, bluesy OD, or high gain. I generally suggest amps like the Peavey Classics or Traynor YCV's as solid "all around" amps.

On less of a budget, the Peavey Valveking 112 might not be a bad choice. How loud do you need to be? Something like the Palomino V16 would probably be just about as loud as the Vox AD50VT, but sound a lot better, IMHO. You'd be trading off a lot of built in effects for genuine tube tone. Either amp would probably need a pedal for metal. If that's a big part of what you do, and you're leaning towards the SS, the Roland Cube 60 might be a better choice for you.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well im leaning more toward a great clean sound more than metal since Im not playing so much metal anymore. I would actually prefer an amp with effects thats why i like the valvetronix since i have no effect pedals yet.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
What types of effects/sounds are you looking for?

The Valvetronix/Cube type amps are great starters amps. A great way to get a feel for what you want from your guitar. But they're also amps that eventually need to be replaced. On the other hand, you could get a more permanent amp like one of of these tube combos, and start building your pedal board from there. Never having to replace anything, just slowly building a quality rig.

I understand the instant gratification thing of getting everything all at once, but I definitely think it's the less practical solution.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I was looking for deals at local music shops and they are selling a Peavey Bandit 112 for $ 325 I was wondering if this amp is any good. Is it better or worse than the vox valvetronix?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
Quote by Kathya
I was looking for deals at local music shops and they are selling a Peavey Bandit 112 for $ 325 I was wondering if this amp is any good. Is it better or worse than the vox valvetronix?

The big advantage it has over the Valvetronix is that it's a lot louder for the same money, and the tone on it is actually pretty decent. It doesn't have all the models and effects that you were looking at on the Valvetronix amps, though.

The Palomino suggested above is a nice alternative if you've decided you don't need those effects (that would be my suggestion). Otherwise, the Bandit ain't bad.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I was also thinking of getting a tube amp (I dont need that many effects) is this one any good: Ashdown Fallen Angel 40 DSP Guitar Combo , i still dont know what to get
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
I think the Palomino v16 is your best choice. I honestly believe it's better to just have nice, solid tone and build from there than to have a koolio amp with krazy effects that you'll grow out of and tire of the digital tone.

And a big CHEERS for liking the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
how loud is the Palomino v16??
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
could you be a little more specific, is it as loud as the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
Quote by Kathya
could you be a little more specific, is it as loud as the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT?

It's noticeably louder. No contest. You'd need the AD50VT to even compete with it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
hehe I know, im very indecisive , i said I needed an amp with effects but my dad got me an effects pedal
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Vox AD30VT
Fender Jazz Bass
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss Reverb/Delay RV3
Last edited by Kathya at Dec 16, 2007,
I just ordered the Ashdown FA-40. $353 tax and shipping included. if you haven't made up your mind yet, there are still some close out sales. the model is being discontinued. Ashdown is associated with Hayden amps too and they have one called the Peacemaker that appears to be replacing the Fallen Angel.