i'd take a marshall mg over that any day....
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
For that prize I could get 100 MGz and Line 6 SPIDERZ and BE TOTALLY BR00TALZ!!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ admittedly, that would be incredibly fun to plug into all of them. earth would probably implode at the sheer mass of bad tone being propelled though
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Gabel
For that prize I could get 100 MGz and Line 6 SPIDERZ and BE TOTALLY BR00TALZ!!

Hell, you could get a 100 diezels
AND THEN YOU COULD GET MATCXHING BOSS METAL ZONE WITH THEMZ AND BE EVEN MORE BR000000000TALLLZZZ!!!!

Imagine 100 MGs and Spiders with Metal Zones

I'd kill myself!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ehh honestly, things like this are nice to a point, but 100+ thousand? Thats insane to pay for a guitar amp. I cant imagine it sounding better than most higher end amps around a few grand. It might be cool to have a somewhat one of a kind amp. I just cant understand why somebody would pay that much for a amp there actually going to use.
Quote by Serendipity
Considering the reserve isn't even met, I set it at $60,000 for ease of calculation. I could buy 100 MG100HDFX half stacks and obliterate a nation.

thats the most sadistic thing i've ever heard. my ears nearly bleed and i suffer a nervous breakdown if i hear a cranked MG15DFX. i find just the thought of 100 MG100HDFX halfstacks wierd in series and cranked is making me suffer extreme mental trauma.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
thats the most sadistic thing i've ever heard. my ears nearly bleed and i suffer a nervous breakdown if i hear a cranked MG15DFX. i find just the thought of 100 MG100HDFX halfstacks wierd in series and cranked is making me suffer extreme mental trauma.

I tried to block out my words after I posted this
That is hard core overkill. Yes, Dumble is legend, but these days, you can pick up another amp that sounds just as good for much less. Points of reference...Dr. Z, Top Hat, and especially Divided by 13 and Two Rock.
Quote by Serendipity
I tried to block out my words after I posted this

i have no idea what that was supposed to mean lol
Rig Winter 2017:

valvetronix users might find this interesting:

that amp is what the boutique OD setting is based on.

edit: actually no. valvetronix users probably already know, hence why i know. still its a good setting on the valvetronix amp, i can't imagine how good the real thing is though.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Gabel
AND THEN YOU COULD GET MATCXHING BOSS METAL ZONE WITH THEMZ AND BE EVEN MORE BR000000000TALLLZZZ!!!!

Imagine 100 MGs and Spiders with Metal Zones

I'd kill myself!

Actually, with all the MT2's, one palm mute, and you're brains would fly out. Yeat, it's too fizzy and sterile of a pedal, but it's pretty decent if all you're gonna do is palm mute.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
is it really like 100x better than a framus cobra/bogner uberschall?

even a marshall plexi resissue is still 1/150th of the price if thats more of the tone you're after

its basically just a collectors item
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by samtewari
is it really like 100x better than a framus cobra/bogner uberschall?

even a marshall plexi resissue is still 1/150th of the price if thats more of the tone you're after

its basically just a collectors item

It all depends on what kind of tone you're looking for. The amps you just listed...I wouldn't even place those in the same ballpark as the Dumble. Not hyping the amp up, but the tonal goal for the Dumble is completely different than the bogner or framus. Remember, there are a lot of use out here that like our tones bright and clean, not muffled and at ear-bleeding gain. Luckily, I've got both GO MESA ROADSTER!!!!

But yeah, I agree, Dumbles have been hyped to the point where the only folks that buy them are the same guys that buy Enzos and lock them away in some garage and never drive them. A sad sad fate for these excellent amps.
O_O

Too friggin expensive....that's like, 50 Diezels, 50 ENGLs, 50 Bogners....and a few hookers to go around.
Dumble's = most over-rated amps in history. There value is a reflection of their collectibility/rarity and not tone/performance. For example is the tone of a $50,000 Dumble 50x better than a $1000 amp?
Quote by Gutch220
Dumble's = most over-rated amps in history. There value is a reflection of their collectibility/rarity and not tone/performance. For example is the tone of a $50,000 Dumble 50x better than a $1000 amp?

Not at all.

So anyone know where the clones are? I mean, there are schems online and there's a rather large amp building community out there. How come I haven't seen any Dumble clones other than the occasional Dum-Bell amps?

And on a side note, I'd rather have a Lonestar Classic on the budget I'm on (hint...I'm probably going to sell the Roadster). If I had the money, I'd probably invest in a Dr. Z, Two Rock or Divided by 13, but I can't afford an amp that specialized, and therefore, limited, even though they do their thing very, very well.
Quote by TwoString
Not at all.

So anyone know where the clones are? I mean, there are schems online and there's a rather large amp building community out there. How come I haven't seen any Dumble clones other than the occasional Dum-Bell amps?

And on a side note, I'd rather have a Lonestar Classic on the budget I'm on (hint...I'm probably going to sell the Roadster). If I had the money, I'd probably invest in a Dr. Z, Two Rock or Divided by 13, but I can't afford an amp that specialized, and therefore, limited, even though they do their thing very, very well.

You might want to consider Bad Cat as well.

I honestly don't believe in spending more than $5,000 for an amp. This of course is more of a collectors piece though. If I had a rediculously large sum of money I would consider buying it. You gotta think, there are quite a few professional musicians who deal with ebay.

Last year I saw Godsmack's live dummy cabs and heads on ebay. That same year one of my freinds dad's won a bid against Mark Knophler for a Korina Gibson Explorer.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
supposedly nik @ ceriatone is working on a dumble clone, that would be a 650 dollar dumble essentially
yeah i realised that, thats why i put the plexi example lol
still in terms of amplifier its not 100x those amps

here's a review of harmony central basically backing this up
its not the be all, end all of guitar tone - its just a collectors item

he also says alot of people wouldn't trade a mark IV for an overdrive special
and also a plexi cranked has a better touch than the OS
also its no better than a $1000 - $2000 amp

Features : No Opinion
I'm giving a general comment on features. Ive never owned a Dumble. I've spent time with Dumbles and was able to record with one a few years ago. That experience got me hooked. I still havent been able to buy a Dumble. I have quite a few different SF Fenders that have been reworked to Dumble circuits with the highest quality components and transformers available, etc.. Each is different reflecting the different values of components and switches and circuitry from the 10 or so schematics of Dumbles Ive been able to get ahold of. Most have the same basic features. The main differences with ODS's are some have more controls and switches (jazz/rock, bright, boost, mid-boost) some of those are foot-switchable on some ODSs, and some of the components change values. Its still your pretty basic 60's/70's Fender circuit with the drive channel added. Ive played actual Dumbles that I didnt like and others that Id give alot to have. Its not that special a circuit or that mystical. Its one of many great amps out their.

I do prefer less features. This is one of the only channel switching amps Ive ever liked. Ive had Bogners and Soldano's and I thought they were both mush. I totally subscribe to that less is more school of thought. Keep the signal path as clean as possable and only put high quality components in their.

Sound Quality : 8
OK. Im not one of these people who believe this amp is something divine. Its one of many great amps, some 1/10 the price. The price of this amp has nothing to do with the tone people. I swear some people think amps are a natural part of the universe to be accepted as is. Humans make these things and alot of them are horrible guitar players and most have no credentials that say they know anything more then the average guitarist about tone. In my experience amp builders are like the rest of us. Some amp builders can play - most cant. Some have good ears - most dont. Anyone with a background in basic electronics can build an amp. Its nothing difficult. Building a great amp is difficult but what constitutes a great amp is a highly personal thing.

Here's some things to know about these amps. It doesnt end here. Even the ones Ive played, or the Dumble modded Fenders I own, that Ive loved I never thought it was the end all be all. It does that tastefull moded-Fender overdrive sound extremely well. Thats all. Its what Randal Smith (Mesa) was trying to do. But many people would never ever trade a Mesa Mark for an ODS. Apples and Oranges.

One other thing that keeps comming up is touch. I was very impressed by the touch sensitivity of these amps. But again their way over rated in this area IMO. Even when cranked they dont have the touch of my Plexi or many great vintage british amps. It has more touch than any channel switching overdrive amp Ive played. Yet I can still get more gain and more touch by cranking my Plexi. But again its a different sound. So. Apples and oranges again.

The EQ of this amp is very hard to describe. Its crystal clear. Its not strong in bass or highs. It doesnt have the strong midrange humps that give many amps their character. Id go so far as to say that THAT IS the amps character. Its not thick or chunky. Its not honky or scooped. Well maybe a bit scooped. It has no bite or growl. The one thing that can be said of its character is its crystal clear and even in the equalization. Its EQ is very similar to a Soldano SLO. But the compression and envelope of the gain is very different. Just the EQ is similar. Its even, clear and can at times seems thin. I find this true of most BF and SF Fenders as well. Im refering to the EQ here not the gain. Just like BF Fenders and SLO's I think thats what most people are hearing when they say its got a large, clear, present tone. It is thin but when you really crank this sound it cuts exteremely well and its well balanced. Im not a huge fan of SLOs but Ive used them for many years because of this quality in the EQ. Its soundman proof. Even bad soundmen can get a nice clear cutting sound live with an SLO and a BF Fender and the same is very true of an ODS.

The gain is something very different though. This is a very loose gain. Ive read people saying this gain is tight. Everyone whose ever said that is definilty smoking crack. When you get down to the lower notes on the lower strings the overdrive gets very loose and Mushy. Mushy is a good word for it. Im talking gain here not EQ. With EQ that would imply its a muddy amp which it certainly is not. Im talking the gain structure. The lower notes get loose and mushy. Not completely like a mesa. Id call that more of a rumbly loose gain. I would compare this very strongly to a Chandler Tube Drive pedal. It breaks up and is very fluid and loose. In my experience that can sometimes be the characteristic of a great lead tone. Eric Johnsons tone is like that. Its very Fuzzy and loose on the lower notes but it absolutely sings during leads. I think thats a large reason why people say the gain is smooth. Its very fluid. Similar to Trey Anastasio's sound. It definitly has alot of picking noise. Those artifacts you get when the pick hits the strings. You get that alot with this amp. You can hear it very clearly if you listen to any live Robben Ford stuff. When he's using a pretty good amount of gain. Many people do not like this attribut

Reliability : No Opinion

Customer Support : No Opinion

Overall Rating : No Opinion
Overall value. Wow. Ive read a review where this guy went into this diatribe to justify the high cost because when you get to such a high quality product like this, every little bit better your tone gets, the price gets higher in an inversely exponential way. So at this level small degrees of tone transfer into large amounts of money.

Holy ****!!!

What was this guy smoking. Were talking about extremely simple electronics devices here people! Not NASA engineered space modules.

These amps cost no more to build then any other high quality amp. No matter how good the components are, for an amp like this the raw material will never be more the 1-2k. So what are you paying the extra $7000 and up for? Ill tell you what your paying for. What Dumble thinks his time and expertise is worth.

Every amp expert and tech ive had this conversation with agrees whole heartedly. He produces very few and theirs few out there. Its a great amp so many people would want them and do want them even at high prices. He is responsible for some of the massive amount of hype their is about this amp. I promise you this- If marshall took the Plexi design off the market in 1965 and started custom building small amounts of them for high prices, people who thought the Plexi sound was the ultimate tone (far more of those people then people who regaurd Dumble as ultimate) would still buy them and youd have the same hype and price for Marshall amps. I also promise you if Dumble decided to build these things in a business much the way Fender and Marshall do, the amps would cost the few grand their worth and Dumbles would have no more hype then Fenders and Mesas and Bogners and Soldanos and Voxs, etc...

Their are companies out there whove made exact replicas of Dumbles. And surprise Surprise, many people who buy those amps didnt think they were that great. "There no Dumble" they say. Exactly. They didnt spend $10k for the amp so their tiny minds didnt have that much to convince them it was the best sound they ever heard.

I was extremely impressed with one of the Dumbles Ive played and eventually I will buy one. But Ill admit Im a fool and Im paying at the very least 5x what I should. I am a pro musician. I play 200+ gigs a year and am in the studio for at leats 1-2 months a year. So thats what I do and thats what Ill foolishly spend my money on. 10k+ for an amp no better then hundreds of other 1-2/10 the price because it just happens to be my apple and not an orange. Man guitarists are stupid.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by MESAexplorer
You might want to consider Bad Cat as well.

I honestly don't believe in spending more than $5,000 for an amp. This of course is more of a collectors piece though. If I had a rediculously large sum of money I would consider buying it. You gotta think, there are quite a few professional musicians who deal with ebay.

Last year I saw Godsmack's live dummy cabs and heads on ebay. That same year one of my freinds dad's won a bid against Mark Knophler for a Korina Gibson Explorer.

I always forget about Bad Cat for some reason.

Quote by mercinariesgtr
supposedly nik @ ceriatone is working on a dumble clone, that would be a 650 dollar dumble essentially

Nice...I'll have to look him up.
it basically just does a smooth american lead for jazz and fusion guys. it is the most overblown amp in history. all these kids comparing it to diezels is just a testament to how much misinformation is spread and how overhyped it is.

to whoever said there were no dumble clones around is just blind. all kinds of guys are making "D*UMBLE" clones, and modding amps to ODS specs. for cheap too.
Quote by TehJermie
it basically just does a smooth american lead for jazz and fusion guys. it is the most overblown amp in history. all these kids comparing it to diezels is just a testament to how much misinformation is spread and how overhyped it is.

to whoever said there were no dumble clones around is just blind. all kinds of guys are making "D*UMBLE" clones, and modding amps to ODS specs. for cheap too.

I've seen the schems around the net, but even then I'm finding clones that are as hyped as the original. I've seen clones go for several thousand as well. Boo hiss!! With all of the hype, I just want to try one out. I've only heard what others can do with them, which can be very misleading.
Quote by TwoString
Not at all.

There are a BUNCH of Dumble-like amp clones, just none that are as close as possible. A few companies that come to mind are Fuchs, Carol-Ann, Two-Rock, Caa, etc.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
There are a BUNCH of Dumble-like amp clones, just none that are as close as possible. A few companies that come to mind are Fuchs, Carol-Ann, Two-Rock, Caa, etc.

Oh yeah, I mean, I know they got a lot of their vibe from what they've ganked from Dumble circuits, but I'm interested in the full-tilt, no changes clone. In some circles, it's like asking if anyone has found any full out clones of the Klon Centaurs. Most of the time you get looked at like you're a heretic...but sometimes, you actually get answers.
Quote by TwoString
Oh yeah, I mean, I know they got a lot of their vibe from what they've ganked from Dumble circuits, but I'm interested in the full-tilt, no changes clone. In some circles, it's like asking if anyone has found any full out clones of the Klon Centaurs. Most of the time you get looked at like you're a heretic...but sometimes, you actually get answers.

Yeah, i misunderstood you at first. As said before i know Ceriatones working on a copy, but from what i've read, it was a later model (in the #100's on the serial number) and the schematic was from Ampgarage or something. and according to other builders, not a very good model to build.

Now apparently Nik isnt selling a prebuilt Overtone Special because of all the grief he got from other builders and tone freaks. I think the other builders were just frightened that there was competition for their Dumble clones under the 1k range.

and, i really want to try a Klon, that and a Zendrive
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I'd rather spend the money on 1000 18 watt Marshall kits. I'd keep 5, build and sell the other 995 for $2000 each, and buy a house.
Quote by igotabcrich32
Yeah, i misunderstood you at first. As said before i know Ceriatones working on a copy, but from what i've read, it was a later model (in the #100's on the serial number) and the schematic was from Ampgarage or something. and according to other builders, not a very good model to build.

Now apparently Nik isnt selling a prebuilt Overtone Special because of all the grief he got from other builders and tone freaks. I think the other builders were just frightened that there was competition for their Dumble clones under the 1k range.

and, i really want to try a Klon, that and a Zendrive

the zendrive is disappointment. trust me.

the klon is both good and bad. if youre completely into "that" kind of sound, youll love it. i couldnt justify having it on my board.
WHY WOULD YOU SPREAD AN OFFER LIKE THAT.

Sell your house man. Buy that damned amp!
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Well, the auction has ended by now.

At $75000, the reserve wasn't even met yet.
I want to know why you guys would buy 100 MG stacks, or 400 spiders. Why not get like, 25 Recto stacks? That would be really br00t4lz. If you go used you could get like 40...
Quote by ketiov
I want to know why you guys would buy 100 MG stacks, or 400 spiders. Why not get like, 25 Recto stacks? That would be really br00t4lz. If you go used you could get like 40...

100 stacks > 25 stacks.

Need I say more?