Hey all. I can't find any posts which specifically answer my question (or I'm blind. probably the latter) But regardless, its a problem which is really irritating me. I currently have a Zoom G9.2tt pedal which I love, because its so useful, and an Ibanez TBX150R (for those that don't know, it's a solid state amp.. just checking) and I'm currently borrowing my friend's Epiphone. I plan on getting a new guitar soon (the one I actually own is a squire..sadly. Cash was a problem) My problem is that I can't seem to find that distortion which I love in all my favourite metal bands. Whatever I do, I can't get my sound to have the following characteristics:
A hard early crunch (sorta like you're being pounded by a wave of air or something)
A steady, filled distortion follow up (smooth and stable, not changing in pitch or intensity over time ... sorta, i dunno, earthy, if you catch my drift)
a distortion which thins when playing higher up the neck (for solos mainly)
What I'm not looking for is an "air-y" distortion. Or an old-school distortion either. I can get those with a patch on the pedal.

A local band I watched recently has a guitarist who had this kind of distortion, and at some stages (its pathetic really, but for some reason it was so damn awesome) he'd just lift the guitar in the air, slam the pick on a power chord, and this rush of air and.. i dunno.. bass maybe.. would just rush over the audience. People went insane in minutes.

Well, that's what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm completely wrong and what I'm looking for is actually pathetic. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Either way, all advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Hmm, doesnt sound like a pedal issue. Its the amp dude. If you want that sick bassy dark crunch that just gives your music balls you need to look into a better amp. Something like a Peavey 5150 or a Mesa. I just got a Mesa F-50 and I LOVE it. It pretty much gives me the tone you're looking for.
Thanks guys. I managed to get that "crunch" from my amp for some reason, turning my gain up hectically on my clean channel when running through my pedal gives me that, but when I'm using the normal amp's distortion the gain does next to nothing for the "crunch"
Now, to get the thinning out sound, thats harder. the single-note playing is still mediocre. But I think ill find it now that I got the first sorted out.
Thanks for the help
That's because generally solid-state distortion channel + distortion pedal = crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ASGTrace
Hmm, doesnt sound like a pedal issue. Its the amp dude. If you want that sick bassy dark crunch that just gives your music balls you need to look into a better amp. Something like a Peavey 5150 or a Mesa. I just got a Mesa F-50 and I LOVE it. It pretty much gives me the tone you're looking for.

dude, i just got my F-50 yesterday. it is indeed an amazing amp. perfect for that heavy crunch. sadly i am now back at school in a dorm where a 50 watt tube amp will be frowned upon...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by steven seagull
That's because generally solid-state distortion channel + distortion pedal = crap.

I'm aware of that. I'm not saying that I mixed the two. I mean I'm comparing the crunch of my pedal through a clean channel, with the gain on the clean set high vs the normal distortion channel, with no pedal, with it's gain setting high. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
in my experience, its the amp that'll get you the 'wave of air' hittin you thing. (i love that feelin when that blast hits you and ur nuts shake!)

ive got an Marshall avt100(valvestate) and an Ashdown Fallen Angel 180(all valve) and the angel is what shakes my balls.
Quote by steven seagull

You realize you're supposed to use distortion pedals on a clean channel right?