Hi

Ive learned the solo for the song Vision of division for the strokes, which involves alot of fast pulloffs. I use distortion, and some sustain, but my pulloff tone sounds really wierd, and not like the open string tone it should sound like. I need to be able to hear it like i would if i just played an open string.

Not sure if this makes sense to everyone, but i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I have an Ibanez prestige, a Marshall 50dfx amp and a Boss ME-50 multi FX pedal.
Any help would be good.
Cheers
Quote by Don_Humpador
Technique. Technique.

Oh, and get rid of your amp and ME50. Like, now.

+1
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Technique. Technique.

Oh, and get rid of your amp and ME50. Like, now.

+2

just take those pull-offs and take them to a ridiculously slow tempo, then work them up slowly... very slowly, until they're super clean and clear. that's the only way.
when pulling off simultaneously flick your finger towards your palm, make sure you dont bend the string but it will be like picking it lightly
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
when pulling off simultaneously flick your finger towards your palm, make sure you dont bend the string but it will be like picking it lightly

Yep, don't just lift your finger off. That'd be a "lift-off" heh. A pull-off involves actually plucking the string with your fretting finger. Pull it downwards when you take it off towards the ground to get a loud pull-off, otherwise you have a half-assed wimpy sound.
Wow i never knew my amp and me-50 were so bad lol.
Im a sort of guitar tech noob.
The guy at the shop told me they were good so i guess i just beleived him...
Quote by Serendipity
Yep, don't just lift your finger off. That'd be a "lift-off" heh. A pull-off involves actually plucking the string with your fretting finger. Pull it downwards when you take it off towards the ground to get a loud pull-off, otherwise you have a half-assed wimpy sound.

Wont this bend the string?
Quote by nugiboy

It's just technique to get it clean, but sometimes I bend the string a little before the pulloff when I'm playing blues type stuff, and even use my pulloff finger to hit lower strings to get some really cool stuff.
It won't bend the string if you do it correctly. Practice everything slowly to hammer it into your long-term memory.

Oh, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, trust what guitar shop salesmen tell you. Ever.

Ever.

Seriously.
Quote by Serendipity
It won't bend the string if you do it correctly. Practice everything slowly to hammer it into your long-term memory.

Oh, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, trust what guitar shop salesmen tell you. Ever.

Ever.

Seriously.

OK il remember that for next time.
Does anyone mind telling my what exactly is so bad about my gear?
Just a bit curious.
Quote by Serendipity

Ever.

Seriously.

there actually was one guy at a Daddy's Junky Music up by me that suggested my guitar to me. i love the thing to death and i think it's one of the best made guitars in it's price range (that i know of at least) (its a godin fyi)
but shockingly, he doesn't work there anymore...
he was too smart and not maniacal enough i suppose.
Quote by nugiboy

Yeah, a little, but not more than a string bends when you pick it.