Its probably quite helpful to know what chords are in what keys even if I barely know theory right?

Simply, chord progressions usually stay in one key and I can solo over those progression in the that key right?

I know theres probably some exceptions and stuff.... but my brain wont handle that yet...

Is there a way to remember what chords are in a particular way? or is it just simple remember remember

Is it the WWHWWWWH or something like that? and the Maj min min maj maj min ??
You're right.

Memorize chord families:

Key of G

G/Em
C/Am
D/Bm

Key of C

C/Am
F/Dm
G/Em

It also helps to understand the Aeolean relationship (aka relative major/minor).

It basically means that for every major chord there's a minor chord that's closely related. Same goes with scales... G Scale/Em Scale.

Like for G, Em is closely related. They're relative to eachother.

This will cut down half your work in memorizing chord families.

Examples:

G/Em
C/Am
D/Bm
F/Dm
Tone-Tone-Semitone-Tone-Tone-Tone-Semitone

That's just the way a major scale is built. Pick a root note and then build your scale off of that using the above formula. The scale that you built will be called (Root Note) Major. Most songs are written in C/G/D Major with relative minors thrown in there for the sadder types of music. Start memorizing the fretboard and all of this will come alot easier.
not to forget the C-majors Bdim, and G-majors Fdim chords, which are great for arpeggio's
Circle of fifths is probably a good place to start with keys....

http://www.charlieburrus.com/MathInMusic/Circle%20of%20Fifths.GIF

So if we're in C and I want to do a common I IV V I can look at C, then I can see to the left is F and to the right is G, so it would be C-F-G. For G it's the exact same process G-C-D. The flats are a little different but same idea. Look up a tut and it should give you more info about all the things you can pull from it. After that, if you want to get into more theory look up harmonizing scales and finding the modes of scales.

(and, when you memorize the circle of fifths, as you should be able to see it in your head after a while. It's useful to see the BEAD's spelled out in it. If you look at it that was it's simply FBbEbAbDb F#BEAD (<-- the BEAD notes are all "sharped flats") then GC or something like that. I start with C in my head, since that's the only key that has no sharps.
Last edited by capiCrimm at Nov 19, 2007,
Playing in a key is the same thing as playing in a scale right?... Are keys the same thing as scales?

And say if I see three chords, whats the easiest way to see what key im in?
^ not exactly

a scale is a formula, such as the above mentioned major scale (or any of the 7 modes accompanying it and also the hundreds of others that are blues, dominant, ethnic scales and so on) it is simply the groupings

the key is a scale formula applied to a certain note, good examples are

a scale would be "minor"
a key would be "C# minor"
Find the chord that the song resolves to
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums