My uncle has a fender Bassman 50 that is "Vintage" I am not sure just how old it is but it is older then i am (20).

I was curious to what you think of these amps, As he is willing to sell it to me for a good price, and what you think a good price is? Also, I haven't heard the amp myself yet, But what sort of tone does it put out? is it mid/high gain?

Please let me know. Also, the tubes need to be replaced, What tubes would do well in that to give me a heavier tone?
Quote by Leybick

you're going to try and tell me girls don't piss out of their asses?

Gear:
Agile AL-3100 Gold-top Les Paul
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
is it the tweed one? or the blackface one? silverface?

they're pretty different, but they're awesome amps. not too great with 'heavy' music that you play though. and a tube swap won't give you the heavy sound. goes up till classic rock'ish, the poweramp saturation is awesome, but it won't get heavy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ I think it's silverface.

Why two threads though?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I am not positive, But what is the difference? I can find out, But if you could tell me the differences It would be appreciated.

So, it won't play Metal at all? Or will a DS-1 be able to push it? I need to replace the tubes anyhow, So can i get abit darker or heavier tone at all from doing that?

Also, Will a Metal Zone, or big muff or something work to get the metal sound, or will they just kill the tone from the amp?

I need a new amp, Mine is wearing out, and I was hoping that If I could get a good deal, And the amp was able to fulfill my needs, (Be able to play with heavy distortion but have pleasant chimey cleans) I would like to do that.... But.... If I have too, I will just go with the mesa head.... I like what I get out of those.
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
Last edited by Deluster at Nov 19, 2007,
the solid state bass amp version maybe?

that's basically tweed.

it's a '57 tweed twin amp pictured. but the tweed bassman looks similar.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the tweed one has tweed covering, a silver face has a front plate with silver color, and a blackface has a black frontplate
as you are able to get such a great amp, you shall stop playing metal, get yourself a nice Fender strat, a tubescreamer and start playing the blues instead!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
No difference in tone? Does one have more value then another? Please let me know on possibilities for tone also
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
Hmmm, As I was going to start on the blues, I really should consider that.

What are your Ideas on a tubescreamer?
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
i have always loved them, even as standalone OD, especially the TS9. The TS9 has a bit more bite than a 808 so thats up to you!

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone
as you are able to get such a great amp, you shall stop playing metal, get yourself a nice Fender strat, a tubescreamer and start playing the blues instead!

Yeah he should lay off the metal and start the blues
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
It's from the 70's. Great amp, but really not for metal. Mid-gain is pretty much the heaviest you'll get, and that's only at pretty ridiculous volumes.
I really appreciate it, Thanks, I have decided on the Bassman.

My newest band is joing to be a blues/jazz rock band, so this shall help.

Now, after the amp I need a nice fender strat.

Actually.... should I use single coils or humbuckers? HSS Maybe?
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
Quote by Deluster
I really appreciate it, Thanks, I have decided on the Bassman.

My newest band is joing to be a blues/jazz rock band, so this shall help.

Now, after the amp I need a nice fender strat.

Actually.... should I use single coils or humbuckers? HSS Maybe?

for blues/jazz no HSS, get a SSS strat. Personally i would get a SSS no matter what music i play, strats are meant to be that way

if you live in the US, check out the 57´ commemorative strat on musiciansfriend, the white one with gold hardware. great price and great sound/looks!
if you want a used strat, check for MIA standard strats, but have in mind 90´s MIA strats weren´t top notch. if you can, find an 80´s MIJ (japan) strat. i have one and it plays and sounds maybe better than any MIA i´ve played and they go off for about 500$. they have great bridges too!

good luck!

While not great for metal as a standalone amp, pushed with the right distortion or OD its naturally bassy tone can be very good for heavy music. So if you do plan on continuing to play metal along with your new jazz and blues, look into something like a SansAmp to push the amp over the top.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by MrCarrot in the other thread that you made but bloody ignored
Basically, if t's the one I think, it's a 60s-70s silverface one. They're renowned for the beautiful bluesy fat cleans. It's not a heavy amp at all, but will take pedals well. A guy in Kasabian uses one. Low gain. I'd still get it - the prices keep rising and rising, it'll be worth a lot when you're older.

It'll probably need an internal servicing unless it's been done recently, too.

Rawr.
^ 'bloody'. what a british word.

i want to use it too...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^ 'bloody'. what a british word.

i want to use it too...

Go for it! I say 'damn' a lot

Noice.

Well, I'm happy to say, that tomorrow I'll be finding out about that AC30 properly - it's utterly trashed apparently, but, there's a few working 80s valves and two G12H30s in there that may be still be working! He's willing to give me it free, possibly, so when I get that I'll butcher the speakers and buy my VC30! Should be this week or next week I order it!

What's going on with your amp situation, you play in a band or anything yet?
wait... ur getting... the AC30 for free... and buying a VC30 too?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by TehJermie
^that wouldnt be exactly what i just posted at all, would it?

Actually, no it wouldnt.

Quote by ECistheBest
wait... ur getting... the AC30 for free... and buying a VC30 too?
It's an utterly dead 80s AC30. To fix it, i'd need all new valves, completely replace all the resistors and caps and pots, and the enclosure is a bit screwed too so that'll need fixing... The guy has 2 working 60s AC30s already so he's happyish to give me it for free. Transformers might still work, as might the speakers, so i'm gonna salvage what I can and make it a long-term project. Unfortunately it's a greypanel one too, meaning SS rectifier and therefore 36w with less great tone, which is why it has G12H30s rather than Blues. It'd take probably a year and £200-300 to fix. The board is meant to be screwed a bit too.
Quote by MrCarrot
It's an utterly dead 80s AC30. To fix it, i'd need all new valves, completely replace all the resistors and caps and pots, and the enclosure is a bit screwed too so that'll need fixing... The guy has 2 working 60s AC30s already so he's happyish to give me it for free. Transformers might still work, as might the speakers, so i'm gonna salvage what I can and make it a long-term project. Unfortunately it's a greypanel one too, meaning SS rectifier and therefore 36w with less great tone, which is why it has G12H30s rather than Blues. It'd take probably a year and £200-300 to fix. The board is meant to be screwed a bit too.

Still a net profit, weither you fix it or salvage it. Very nice my friend, very nice.

^ Aye, it is a bit, eh If I get a hold of it, it'd probably be a long-term renovation project, and then when fixed I could sell it for a profit. It's not one of the most desirable ones and to be honest it'd probably equal the Laney tonewise, but it may end up being one of those really nostalgic sentimental things...

Still, 50/50 of me getting it though, and regardless of if I do or not I'll get the Laney.
hijackers.

Anyhow, I am decided on the bassman, It is as far as I know the silver face, I know there is the amp head and it sits on a small 50 watt cab.

Anyhow, thanks alot for your opinions let me know if there is anything else I should know.

Also, How do a wah pedal sound on a clean tone through a bassman? I have been considering a weeping demon..
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
i think a wah will sound amazing. Vox clyde or a V847, 847A would be nice.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Hmmm, what do you think of the weeping demon with a ts9?

I think that would sound good, But I am not sure yet.
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt
hm. well, it wouldn't get any death metal distortion, but if you want a wah for gainy stuff, weeping demon is a solid pedal. in contrast, vox would pull the organic vintage wah tone. thats why i like it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I see, well i really think that the vox should work. I like the sound of it.
Quote by Leybick

Gear:
Vox Valvtronix 15 watt