I realize that the head this comes with is 5W, but since the speaker is 70W, what is the actual output of this half stack? Also, coupled with a Boss DS-1 pedal and a Epi LP or SG, would this get a good pop-punk(Ergs, Screeching Weasel, Ramones, etc) sound?
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
5 watts from the amp head, but I'm going to guess the cab can take up to 70 watts of power before it goes and blows up. As for the sound I don't know.

On a side note, I live in ohio too.
DS-1s are too crunchy imo. And i think that if u crank a VJ, itll be decently loud (gig worthy). Id either use the OD from the tubes, get an OD, or get something like a Big Muff pedal.I have a DS-1, and i think its gain doesnt sound too good for Punk.
Quote by qotsa1998
DS-1s are too crunchy imo. And i think that if u crank a VJ, itll be decently loud (gig worthy). Id either use the OD from the tubes, get an OD, or get something like a Big Muff pedal.I have a DS-1, and i think its gain doesnt sound too good for Punk.

That's what I thought about the DS-1 too, but I thought it was just my amp. Right now, my plan is to sell my current amp and buy maybe an SD-1.

And to the guy who's from Ohio, what parts?

Thanks for all the help guys, more input would be cool too.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
Quote by TheAdict310
I realize that the head this comes with is 5W, but since the speaker is 70W, what is the actual output of this half stack?

Five watts.

If you're looking to play your pop punk with a band, take your VJ halfstack budget and look for a used Fender Blues Jr (or other 15W combo). You'll be way better off. The Palomino V16 is $350 new if you can stretch that far. It's also a great choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'm really only looking for a practice amp... I'm going to college next year, so I don't want anything so loud that I couldn't play it in a dorm room.
the VJ will be too loud for the dorm room....at least when you push it to it's potential.
Hm... maybe I'll just take my acoustic and play my electric when I'm home? I dunno.
Quote by TheAdict310
Hm... maybe I'll just take my acoustic and play my electric when I'm home? I dunno.

Dude, there is a volume knob, my VC15 sounds fine on 0 for volume (Laney's still make sound on zero for some reason)
yeah, i'd rather have a higher-wattage amp with a master volume, than a lower wattage amp without, if I wanted the ability to play quietly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Horlicks
Dude, there is a volume knob, my VC15 sounds fine on 0 for volume (Laney's still make sound on zero for some reason)

If I had it very low, I wouldn't get any natural overdrive, right? That would mean I'd need an overdrive pedal... which I planned on getting anyway, I guess.
If the amp has a master volume, you can get some decent OD sounds out of it at low volumes. The reality is that you'll get better overdriven sounds out of a 15W Blues Jr. than a 5W Valve Jr. at bedroom levels.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by qotsa1998

My DS-1 sounds very thin through my VJ, and if you have the Dist. past halfway, it just sounds really smooth and fuzzy( Think Morrello, but not as fat). I think the VJ could handle those bands on it's own, just guitar -> VJ.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by slatsmania
If the amp has a master volume, you can get some decent OD sounds out of it at low volumes. The reality is that you'll get better overdriven sounds out of a 15W Blues Jr. than a 5W Valve Jr. at bedroom levels.

exactly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Blues Jr. is out of my range, and there's nowhere around here to get used stuff, so that's not really an option.
Cincinnati's too far away, and I'm never ever buying anything off craigslist... but thanks anyway.
Craig's List is king!

Anyway, the Epi VJ halfstack is $250 new. The Palomino V16 is $350. Great, lower cost alternative to the Blues Jr. If you've got the money now, you can take advantage of Guitar Center's 20% off sale on Friday and get it for $280. That's the way to go, IMHO.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks for letting me know about the sale. I'm going out of town this weekend, and I might be able to get to a Guitar Center. The reason I'm concerned about cost is that I'm trying to pick a good amp to get this Christmas, and I gotta be reasonable when asking for something. If I get to a Guitar Center, I'll definitely try out the Palomino, it's looking pretty damn nice as well.
Quote by TheAdict310
That's what I thought about the DS-1 too, but I thought it was just my amp. Right now, my plan is to sell my current amp and buy maybe an SD-1.

And to the guy who's from Ohio, what parts?

Thanks for all the help guys, more input would be cool too.

I'm the guy from ohio, I live in the NW corner. I go to school at University of Toledo.
Quote by chaoticgeek
I'm the guy from ohio, I live in the NW corner. I go to school at University of Toledo.

Can I have your last name, address, and social security number as well please?
Quote by KetchupLad14
Can I have your last name, address, and social security number as well please?

Ya I'll get on that one. Knowing I go to UT is not a big deal, the odds of you finding me are less than 1 in 20,000, plus the fact that I don't live on campus that probably hurts your chances even more. On top of that I'm a security nut when it comes to my info at school so they are not allowed to give out any info over the phone I signed a paper. So to get any info you would have to know my entire name, student number, and forge an ID just to get any info if they were to give it out but I doubt they would. Not like it really matters anyways state of ohio lost a laptop and my SSN was on it so not like you would be the first to have my SSN. Then on top of that my school had a laptop stolen with my SSN on it too.
Quote by zwound
the VJ will be too loud for the dorm room....at least when you push it to it's potential.

Only if your dorm is full of tight asses who demand silence to practice. I crank my modded VJ halfway every other day, and it's loud as hell with my 2x12". I think it's a great dorm amp.
Chaoticgeek, I actually just went to look at University of Toledo a few weeks ago. Have you ever been to the Happy Rose up there? Amazing place. Anyway, I'm gonna try to dorm with some friends, so if that works out, volume won't be near as much of an issue. Thanks for all of the input guys.