Alright so I want to build a cab for my deluxe reverb with two 12's, and I'm confused.

Now, from reading the tutorial thread I know exactly how to make the speaker cabinet itself, and I plan to make a back that I can change from closed to half open with a latch.

As to wiring, If I got two 16 ohm speakers and wired them together in the parallel fashion I should get the 8 ohm's needed for my deluxe reverb right?

My final question, any recommendations about which speakers would be best suited to what I want? I want to push the most headroom I possibly can out of my deluxe reverb. So I'd say higher decibel sensitivity speakers would be better, right? I'm also on a limited budget, so I'd prefer $80 or under per speaker, but I wouldn't mind paying a bit more.

Thanks for any replys I may get.
"After while your cheap talk dont even cause me pain...so let your bullets fly like rain."
Quote by Renold
As to wiring, If I got two 16 ohm speakers and wired them together in the parallel fashion I should get the 8 ohm's needed for my deluxe reverb right?

Correct

Dont know about the other stuff
cool, so that's nailed.

So I need some 2 by 4's and some 1/2" plywood, speakers, some speaker wire with male ends, and a female jack...plus two 16 ohm speakers and I'll be set. Does wattage handling matter? Like if it's super high will it make a difference?
"After while your cheap talk dont even cause me pain...so let your bullets fly like rain."
Last edited by Renold at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by Renold
cool, so that's nailed.

So I need some 2 by 4's and some 1/2" plywood, speakers, some speaker wire with male ends, and a female jack...plus two 16 ohm speakers and I'll be set. Does voltage handling matter? Like if it's super high will it make a difference?

It's not voltage you are concerned about, it's wattage rating . Make the cab as solid as you can stand. Obviously, if you will be hauling it around, take the weight into account. If it wont be moved much...MDF is a good material for sound quality but the downside is it's heavy.

Chris
yeah I actually meant wattage rating. Whoops. Anyway, I've pretty much ruled out any Jensen speakers, all that I've looked at have lower DB sensitivity then I'd like.

Most Celestions are a bit out of my price range, but a few look like options. Any ideas of good speakers for a trey anastasio type tone anyone?

As to weight, I think MDF is a bit much, it will be moved a good amount. I'll probably just do plywood and put wheels on it. Hopefully it won't be too heavy.
Last edited by Renold at Nov 19, 2007,
I get all my speaker supplies from here...

www.partsexpress.com

For guitar speakers, they sell Eminence...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-890

I don't work for them, just been using them for years to build audio speakers for home theater and such. I have some 12" Eminence guitar drivers and they sound really good .

Be sure to glue and screw the heck out of it if you use ply.

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Nov 19, 2007,
Great, thanks for that site! I figured out some dimensions to use, 29 high by 15 wide by 13 deep should be pretty optimal. That's the size of a hard truckers speaker box (which is what I would like to aim for tone wise) This should be a fun project.
I love building speakers. Good luck to you. Maybe post some pics of your build??

Chris
Id use 3/4" instead of 1/2" for the cab, it'll give it a bit more body. OR do what Mesa do and use 1" plywood for a really good sound, but it will weigh a lot more and be expensive.
Thanks for the imput! I'm probably most definitely getting eminence patriot speakers, but I can't decide which yet.
Look at ted webers.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
sorry to not help you, but, i didnt wnat to make a new thread, but, whats the difference (soundwise) between closed back, half open back, and fully open back cabs? what are the pros and cons, this question is to anyone. thanks.
and good luck with the cab.
you get better bass response with a closed back
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
oh okay/ so for say blues, you might want a half open back, so you get a bit of bass, but not too much. or even full open back to get that twang?
Open and half open back releases the sound from the back as well as the front, giving it a more 3d sound but not as tight bass response, whereas closed back is for a more tight, in your face sound.
You could also port it (front or rear) with some PVC. That would involve some calculations though to get the best response.

Chris
I think I'm going to go with eminence swamp thang speakers. Now my last obstacle to overcome...would be the female jack for the speaker wire. What would you recommend?
There are tons on the partexpress web site. I would suggest getting what you like because I do not think that will make much differance. That is, if I am understanding you correctly.

Btw, what price did they give you on the Eminence Swamp Thang? Just curious

Chris
Around 160 for two. Picked up 3/4th inch ply and have plenty of 2x4s out in my garage, so I'm pretty much set. As soon as I order my things from parts express I'll be set. Going to ponder my speaker choice for a few days to make sure that they're exactly what I want. Then I'm going to toss it all together.
Great thread! By the way, I have some classic 25 year old Bose 8" high qualtiy speakers that my father left me. Could these be re-designed into a 2 speaker cab? I know I should post more details, but I am fighting sleep badly due to my 2 year old daughter depriving me of quality sleep this week! LOL..My main amp is a Peavey Bandit 112, which is a USA made early 90's model and sounds great.