I recently started playing guitar, and my grandparents own a hofner '62 artist bass , or something. I can have it 'till I stop playing guitar(I know it's practically useless to give a bass guitar to a guitar player, but alright.). So I googled hofner, and I get all these links to fan sites , of course dedicated to hofner guitars.
I would like to know wether I have some kind of awesome superbass(wich would make the fan sites right.), or just some old bass(wich makes them wrong, and weird). Thank you.
If it would help if I'd make some pics, just ask.
Originally Posted by iforgotmyname
I'd love to get quoted once...

Being dutch is ubercool.
That's why I used the smiley, and not stuff like: .
What you have is a very fragile, bad sounding, bad balancing, and bad playing bass that's probably worth several thousands of dollars. It's a bloody antique. If I'm thinking the bass I'm thinking of, it's Paul McCartney's favourite, and is more of a collectors item than a player. If I were you, I'd give it back to my grandparents and tell them they have a bass worth a lot of money.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hohfner is mostly known as the Paul Mccartny bass.
Some people like it, some people hate it.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Wow. Thanks. Expensive bass. It's my granny's birthday, so this should be a nicer gift to her than the flowers I gave her. Heh heh. Awesome.

<<just called her, didn't really care.>>

Being dutch is ubercool.
Last edited by iforgotmyname at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by BassistGal
Hohfner is mostly known as the Paul Mccartny bass.
Some people like it, some people hate it.

And I would be on the hate 'em to death side.

But Fitz is right, if the year is correct, you've got something that is worth a fair bit of cash and is Antique Roadshow worthy. There are several sites out there that if you provide the serial number, they can pretty much id the year and relative worth of this bass.

Hofner rides the fame of Sir Macca big time; as far as a great vintage bass, there are better ones to be found from a playing standpoint.
Very valuble, but an awful bass.

Paul only got one I believe because he was too cheap to get a Fender.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I like hofners personally, but only from an aesthetic viewpoint (their pickguards are adorable ) since i have yet been able to play one.

EDIT: as luck may have it, i might have found your bass on guitarcenter http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hofner-500-1-Vintage--62-Electric-Bass-Guitar-511781-i1166271.gc

Thats two grand just for the remake, man.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Nov 19, 2007,
Dude! Sell It!
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Hofner made several models of bass. the "Beatle" bass was Model 500/1, and top money is only for the Lefty version. some pics might help identify your model. you mentioned '62 Artist bass, or something. that model is not listed in my book. is it a violin shaped, semi-hollow body, with a glued in neck? if it is, it could be worth a couple of bucks(K). do some research, if you need help, some pic's and the serial number will answer alot.
Sell it, buy an Epi Viola, so it doesn't look like it's missing, and pocket the difference. You'll come out a few thousand ahead.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by kranoscorp
I like hofners personally, but only from an aesthetic viewpoint (their pickguards are adorable ) since i have yet been able to play one.

EDIT: as luck may have it, i might have found your bass on guitarcenter http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hofner-500-1-Vintage--62-Electric-Bass-Guitar-511781-i1166271.gc

Thats two grand just for the remake, man.

It looks quite different:
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/vintagehofner/basses/bas29.html
It's ugly.

Being dutch is ubercool.
Quote by iforgotmyname

Wow, never saw that before. You'd have to ask someone like 83lps about this one - I have no idea.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..