Global Warming is a hot topic Pun intended.

I read this article in my newspaper and looked for it online. This one's a little shorter, but it's got the most of it. What I don't understand is how the majority of first-world nations can just shrug this off. The people doing this research are much smarter than you when it comes to the science of climate change.

What do you think about this?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Well, lets try to stop it then. But the sad thing is is that we won't because people do shrug these kind of things off.
Ugh...

What's that statistic, something like every hour, one undiscovered species goes extinct in the Amazon? It's insane how much life this planet holds, but how fragile it is.
Who dat?
Quote by Muphin

I read this article in my newspaper and looked for it online. This one's a little shorter, but it's got the most of it. What I don't understand is how the majority of first-world nations can just shrug this off. The people doing this research are much smarter than you when it comes to the science of climate change.

I CONCUR

on a serious note, i saw that movie with al gore a while ago and it got me thinking to, it sucks how we really can't do anything and the people that can do stuff are worring about wars and stupid things when they should direct their attention at things like this.
Quote by Anarion614
Ugh...

What's that statistic, something like every hour, one undiscovered species goes extinct in the Amazon? It's insane how much life this planet holds, but how fragile it is.

That's a completely ridiculous and unfounded statistic. If the species hasn't been discovered then nobody knows that it's died out.

That's a scare statistic. Dunno about the threadstarter's one though.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
i think 40% of living organisms havent even been discovered
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Muphin

There are also people much smarter than us that say the opposite.
That's a completely ridiculous and unfounded statistic. If the species hasn't been discovered then nobody knows that it's died out.

....Thank you
I'm hungry.
humans will cause the extinction of these animals before global warming has the chance anyways.

on a serious note, the world has always been going through climate changes and other cycles, and it will continue to do that until the end of time. Animals have been going extinct since the beginning, and they too will continue to go extinct until the earth is no more. But other neat species will continue to arise and evolve.
It's kind of ironic that a UG'er is posting this (global warming), seeing as a lot of guitarists use amps that suck down power like a humming bird sucks down nectar
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Quote by Joshrocker48
Well, lets try to stop it then. But the sad thing is is that we won't because people do shrug these kind of things off.

Well, I would, but I'll be too busy getting high.

|S|A|V|I|N|G| |A|N|I|M|A|L|S|

My anti-drug.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
*turns all the lights and electrical appliances on, opens all the windows, turns up the heating*

I'm not too fond of animals that I'm not going to eat anyway (discounting humans).

If Hinduism turns out to be true, I'm gonna get reincarnated as a twig.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Meths
Doesn't it make you proud to be a human?

Well, at least we're not in the bottom 30% :p
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by duncang

You're right, I was half making it up. There is some statistic like that though, lemme look it up...

It was something about due to the massive deforestation rates in the Amazon, "many species are being discovered with extremely small ranges - as small as a few acres. Therefore, it is inferred that (a) there are very many insect species in the Amazon and (b) that when a relatively small area is developed, or even logged, species disappear."

--http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/progress/biodiversity.html

"The extinction rate of today may be 1,000 to 10,000 times the biological normal, or background, extinction rate of 1-10 species extinctions per year."

--http://rainforests.mongabay.com/0908.htm

Sorry for saying something without thinking, my bad.
Who dat?
Last edited by Anarion614 at Nov 19, 2007,
Also, I believe the accurate statisticis the earth is scheduled to raise 1 degree FAHRENHEIT in 100 years. Yes, thats F people. Not exactly rapidly approaching us. So, in about 300 years when this 1 degees C reaches us, I do believe we will long have been out of oil, and other nonreusable energy sources, and using hyrdogen powered cars, and nuclear power plants. SO, relax.
I'm hungry.
Quote by Travis Tricky
There are also people much smarter than us that say the opposite.

People that say that are just clinging to a sinking ship, there are so many more scientists who say that 'Climate Change' is occuring, and that it is caused by humans. It's like creationism although there is tonnes of evidence against it you still have the crackpot scientists trying to prove evolution wrong.
Quote by Grundy0
People that say that are just clinging to a sinking ship, there are so many more scientists who say that 'Climate Change' is occuring, and that it is caused by humans. It's like creationism although there is tonnes of evidence against it you still have the crackpot scientists trying to prove evolution wrong.

Yes, they're a minority, so they must be wrong. Now let's go and oppress black people!

I'm not saying I disagree with your stance on global warming, but you can't just debunk a theory by saying most people disagree. Most people used to think the world was flat...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
well according to the maiyans and some chinese book were all gonna be dead by 2012 anyways due to magnetic polls changing, lots of chaos and such so we'll never get to 2020 anyways...
Last edited by moulpatr at Nov 19, 2007,
all of this makes me wonder. when will jesus be back?
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Quote by break-me-in
Yes, they're a minority, so they must be wrong. Now let's go and oppress black people!

I'm not saying I disagree with your stance on global warming, but you can't just debunk a theory by saying most people disagree. Most people used to think the world was flat...

Most uneducated peasants used to think the world was flat. Educated scientists or anyone who had half an ounce of intelligence knew otherwise. What we're talking about is how people still try to grab onto these few studies which seem to disprove 'climate change' so they can continue to live the same way.
Quote by Grundy0
Most uneducated peasants used to think the world was flat. Educated scientists or anyone who had half an ounce of intelligence knew otherwise. What we're talking about is how people still try to grab onto these few studies which seem to disprove 'climate change' so they can continue to live the same way.

No they didn't. Scientists for thousands of years did not dispute that the world was flat, the same way the scientific community also used to think that the Earth was the centre of the universe, and the sun revolved around us.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Sweet, lets shoot for 100%!
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by break-me-in
No they didn't. Scientists for thousands of years did not dispute that the world was flat, the same way the scientific community also used to think that the Earth was the centre of the universe, and the sun revolved around us.

Science has existed for about 400 years and scientists did not used to ascribe to a flat-earth, geocentric model. Scientists disproved that idea.
i think global warming is a lie...... lots of people these days are all "GLOOM AND DOOM"

i think its a scam for money..
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
Quote by technicolour
Hopefully Homo sapiens(sp?) will be in that 20-30%

You want to die within ten years?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by kidboy
i think global warming is a lie...... lots of people these days are all "GLOOM AND DOOM"

i think its a scam for money..

Yeah, hippies. They're always in it for the money. Not like CEOs. When it comes to a choice about who's more likely going to be saying shit for money, I'm gonna go with hippies.

Quote by Crozmo
There will be new ones

that's all too true. also, couldn't help but notice your avatar, Crozmo. haven't seen that dude in a loooooooooooooooooooong time (since I had windows 95 I think)
Quote by Meths
Science has existed for about 400 years and scientists did not used to ascribe to a flat-earth, geocentric model. Scientists disproved that idea.

I could be overly pedantic about how we're defining science, but I won't bother. Anyway, the flat-earth theory (which I'm evidently not well educated on) was merely an example to show that the majority isn't always right. Though they probably are in this case.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
20% of living species will be extinct? It's a good thing you made it clear that you're referring to living species, because I wouldn't want any dead species extinct any time soon.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.