I'm on the lookout for some good usage of the Phrygian mode in some metal songs. Not necessarily ones that just use the Phrygian mode, but set an atmosphere altogether. Any good examples?
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Last edited by hotdog_warmcat at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by player o slayer
nile. period

yeah, i have all the nile stuff... but the only time it really has atmosphere (at least in my opinion) is when it's lighter or even *gasp* acoustic. the rest of the time it's pretty much just brutal death with shredding badassedness. i dunno, something more coherent is what i'm looking for, really.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Quote by rasveer
Face Fisted ( - dethklok hahahaha

hahaha, i knew someone would say that. that was actually the first thing that came to my mind too. checked out "war" and "birth of the wicked" and that's pretty much exactly what i was looking for. keep 'em coming, this will keep me practicing for days on end!
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Quote by hotdog_warmcat
I'm on the lookout for some good usage of the Phrygian mode in some metal songs. Not necessarily ones that just use the Phrygian mode, but set an atmosphere altogether. Any good examples?

Melechesh.

Nile.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
The Psalm Of Lydia by nevermore or 99 by the haunted. There are surely many others, but its hard to find them all.
Quote by hotdog_warmcat
yeah, i have all the nile stuff... but the only time it really has atmosphere (at least in my opinion) is when it's lighter or even *gasp* acoustic. the rest of the time it's pretty much just brutal death with shredding badassedness. i dunno, something more coherent is what i'm looking for, really.

Try Karl Sander's Saurian Meditation then, heavily acoustic and atmospheric. Plus he's Nile's guitarist, so...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
How about "in the name of god" by Dream Theater. And if you're looking for acoustic stuff try "Khanrad's Wall" by High on Fire
I doubt this band uses Phrygian mode, but Gojira's From Mars to Sirius sets a really good atmosphere.
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by RRMark
Satriani "War"

That's not metal.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.