hi guys.

im currently in the market for some type of rangemaster or a treble booster and hopefully il get one before christmas.

im playing a strat through a Crate Palomino, and im planning to combine it with my OCD. i play some classic rock stuff (and blues), but i play at church as well, and its quite a pain tweaking the knobs on the amp and my OCD to dial-in the right settings and tone if i need to change from clean to slight OD to the occasional lead tones on the fly.

the local store only carries a BBE Freq Boost, and its quite ok for what it does. ive been looking at online stores and found a Java Boost, a Roger Mayer Concorde+ and a couple more boutique pedals offering different variations and combinations as a treble, mid- and full-range boosts, but they are extremely expensive.

are they worth the price? also, ive heard a lot about the Mullard OC44 and germanium transistors and others. whats the biggest difference? and if you consider price and quality, what's the best value for your money?

thanks.
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Buy a Treble Booster from ShotRod Guitar Works (from ECistheBest). He told me he could make one for $100 or $70, the difference in the two being the transistor (germanium for the former I think). Send him a PM or go to ECistheBest's Junkyard in Gear Ads.

Ben
Ben
Quote by glaz31
are they worth the price?

With the right amp, YES. I can't say how it will sound with your amp, since no shops around here seem to stock Crates.
i see. alright. thanks, ben. il try and take a look at EC's ad

i wish he'll ship to Canada, though

EDIT: Mr. Hankey: yeah, thats what i thought. i guess the price is justified, and now that just adds to my terrible GAS.

well, the Crate is comparable to a Classic 30, if thats helpful.
Jong

Last edited by glaz31 at Nov 19, 2007,
Glad I could help. This is what he sent me.

it should be around $100 give or take a few $. i can't be too sure, but it should be around there.

i should be able to give you an option of a cheaper alternative at like $70 too.

I asked what the difference was, and his reply:

well, like i said, it's a cheaper alternative. it uses a silicon transistor (cheaper, more common) rather than a germanium transistor (which were in vintage rangemasters). Brian May's treble booster had silicon transistors though.
Ben
loool i never shipped anything to canada before haha.

do they check my shipment at the customs?

^and yes, i sent that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
loool i never shipped anything to canada before haha.

do they check my shipment at the customs?

^and yes, i sent that.

as far as i can tell, they do check them from my experiences (buying from ebay sellers from the US). although i dont think they will open them.
Jong

o...

it should go through... does canada have the "RoHS" complaint thing that refuses to let packages with lead (Pb) in it?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
There are a number of web sites that are dedicated to affect pedal schematics. Electro Harmonix made one a number of years ago. The parts total about $10.00. The box to put it in is worth more than the components.
Craig Anderton featured one in his book Electronic Project for Musicians.
^^How exactly do they check that anyway? Won't writing "RoHS compliant" on the pedal fool them?
Quote by ECistheBest
o...

it should go through... does canada have the "RoHS" complaint thing that refuses to let packages with lead (Pb) in it?

now that i dont know. although if it helps, my wah, compressor, delay, and amp came from the US. i just dont know whether those items have lead in it
Jong

^^nah. if ur gonna get a true bypass switch ($4), components ($1), two jacks ($2), DC Jack ($1), LED setup ($1), a pot ($1) it's $10. the box you can get it for $6ish.

^they probably don't. when they reject the package do they ship it back to me?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Cantom
There are a number of web sites that are dedicated to affect pedal schematics. Electro Harmonix made one a number of years ago. The parts total about $10.00. The box to put it in is worth more than the components.
Craig Anderton featured one in his book Electronic Project for Musicians.

You mean the screaming tree/bird? It's nothing like a rangemaster.
Quote by ECistheBest
they probably don't. when they reject the package do they ship it back to me?

i think they will.
Jong

Quote by ECistheBest

^they probably don't. when they reject the package do they ship it back to me?

No, they'll just confiscate it.
what about those cooltron pedals from vox? namely the Over The Top Boost and Brit Boost? any experiences with them and how they compare with others?
Jong

bump...

coz i have a couple more questions.

from the soundclips ive heard, i think an option with some type of "midboost" is good. are there any other pedals (aside from those real expensive ones like the Keeley and RM ones) that have this option, and is also relatively cheaper?
Jong

i know you can get a BYOC
it's like $135 i think
but it's a
treble boost
mid boost
mosfet boost
and something else i think
hey EC if you can get me a treble boost on the cheaps i might be a buyer
Quote by guitaristd
i know you can get a BYOC
it's like $135 i think
but it's a
treble boost
mid boost
mosfet boost
and something else i think
hey EC if you can get me a treble boost on the cheaps i might be a buyer

BYOC one is a Rangemaster, an EHX LPB, and a Mosfet booster. rangemaster has three modes, treble, high mids, and full.

my rangemaster is $100 + shipping, and a cheaper alternative of it is $70 + shipping.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
what do you guys think of an HBE Germania (the original and the 44) or the Danneberg Rangemaster clone?
Jong

ok, so after all that thought, it came down to me buying a BBE Freq Boost after all.

after all those boutique goodness, why this? well, aside from me finding a used model in a store (for $70), i brought my OCD to try it with in a Blues Jr.

with the Freq Boost alone, it has a bit of a "shrilly" characteristic to it, but with the OCD combined with it (which is what il be doing most of the time anyway), its great, and is better than expected.

i think the OCD character in the sound was a good complement to the raised high-mids in the freq boost, and for the price, i cant really complain.
Jong

I think you made a good choice, when i tried out the freq boost I loved it, it pushed my amp into overdrive that sounded different, but really good. It's also true bypass. I would've bought it, but i had to have a Zvex SHO, it was just a straight up boost, which was more of what i was looking for. Plus it has ****in' 60db of gain
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
after more playing almost throughout the night and this whole day, ive got a bit more reactions to the Freq Boost. anything over the volume 6 imo is very shrill, even with the neck pickup. also, it is not quite as aggressive as those soundclips or boutique pedals.

but then again, with a little tweaking, this + the OCD reduces the shrill and thinness, and for what i paid for, its actually good.

oh and one more question, how do i arrange my board now? do i go:

guitar -> wah -> comp -> treble boost -> OD -> delay ?
Jong

Quote by glaz31
what do you guys think of an HBE Germania (the original and the 44)?

Kickass.