David Gilmour used a fender strat with active EMGs right? I'm trying to buy my first electric (played acoustic for awhile) and I find I'm narrowing in on that sound. I'm trying not to replace stock pickups if possible, what do you guys think I should get?
He didn't always use EMG's in his Strats.
But an American Strat of some sort should do just fine really.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Here I am!
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=68

You could replace the pickups right away, but I'd suggest playing around with the stock pickups for a while first. Pickups are pretty expensive, so you might want to take that into consideration.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Keep the Standard pickups, David said himself: "I replaced the EMG's with Standards when I'm in the studio because EMG's sound 'not Stratty' enough".
Seriously. Keep the standards, there's a reason all the best artists use Strats.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Very funny dave.

THere's an EMG pickguard set. But that's not all he used. Look at some of his live videos with the black strat, those aren't EMG.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGDG20-David-Gilmour-PreWired-PickguardPickup-Set?sku=301515
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
just buy a really cheap guitar, and put this baby in

David Gilmour Pre-Wired Pickguard/Pickup Set

check it out them wham bam get it installed and u have ur gilmour sound more or less
Quote by THE PIT
OMG ZEROHERO UR THE MOST AWESOMEST DUDE EVER

InfeRno" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp

:stickpoke
The only reason he used the EMG's was because he hHAD to in order to keep interference out onstage. In the studio though, he never uses them.
Dave Gilmour. You should seriously start talking in first person when these Gilmour threads come up. That would be pretty funny.

I agree though, don't get that pickup set yet. Stick to standard pickups and look more into equipment. gilmourish.com
I dont understand, they souldn't sell the Gilmour EMG set witha pearloid pickguard....they dont belong on any of David's Strats! David always used just a flat white pickguard...mmmmm.
I've seen Gilmour live twice and he's used the red (EMG'ed) strat for maybe 30% of his songs... Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Coming Back to Life, and a few others... the majority of his stufff is played on his trusty black strat. You'll find single coil EMG's arent all theyre cracked up to be. If you're looking for a gilmour tone, the best i can suggest is buy an american fender strat with stock pickups, or maybe passive seymour duncans, and play it through i decent tube amp. Don't forget, gilmour's sound is very effect-dependent too, so dont forget about Big Muff Pi, BK Butler Tube driver, Binson Echo, etc.
Les Paul Black Beauty Custom 3 Pickup
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
Quote by DAaaMan64
Dave Gilmour. You should seriously start talking in first person when these Gilmour threads come up. That would be pretty funny.

Ya, sure thing!
Everyone else is right though. I took the EMGs out of my guitar for some texas specials, and later something else, because real singles just sound better.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
invest in:
-Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress (flanger)
-Big Muff Pi
-MXR Phase 90
-A really nice delay pedal.
You'll have the sound perfect in no time.

Seriously, keep the Standards.

I'm not kidding.
Last edited by Dave Gilmour at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Very funny dave.

THere's an EMG pickguard set. But that's not all he used. Look at some of his live videos with the black strat, those aren't EMG.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGDG20-David-Gilmour-PreWired-PickguardPickup-Set?sku=301515

Yup. Gilmour had his black strat with stock pickups, but the red one was with emgs. I believe he switched em out recently because he thought the EMGs sounded too much like humbuckers, and weren't "stratty" enough".

btw, i'm guessing you're a forgotten realms fan based on your username?