What does everyone think. I'm getting a new amp either the VJ or Royal 8. I really like the VJ, but I haven't found a royal 8 to play on yet. I do like the fact that the Peavey has a tone and gain control but it is also like $100 more, and i have a ts9 so i can get more gain out of the VJ if i decide to go that route. I play mostly blues and classic rock with a epi lp and an epi sg
Get teh VJ. The Cleans are better than the VKs, and the VKs dist isnt very good anyhow. You'd benefit more from a VJ with a TS.

Of course ive never played the royal 8 so I can exactly judge it specifically. But the VK is a bit meh.
The VJ will be great for blues and classic rock. Not having tone or gain controls is a shame though. You have to make do using the tone control on your guitar.
Cranking the VJ should give you enough gain for Blues and Classic Rock, and throwing you TS9 in front of it, well, should be able to do everything else. I haven't played a Royal 8, but the VJ will suit just fine.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Also if i get the VJ i would get the head version and run it through my Vox AD30vt i Modded to use as a cab.......... This Should ok right or would the VJ combo be better

P.S. I also just noticed that there is this same exact thread already so sorry for the repeat
Last edited by mitchp420 at Nov 19, 2007,
Then definitely go for the VJ over the royal 8. You'll save a lot of money just buying the head, instead of the combo that you don't need.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
evj, it handles pedals greatly if you need the gain, and imo the royal 8 aint that good
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Yes, providing the ohms match (It 8ohms in the vox i think) up and theres enough wattage (Which there should be from a 30 watt amp), jenny has a little pic explaining how to do this, just connect a 1/4" jack to the speaker cable or something or other. But IMO, its a bit of a waste of a Vox seeing as you probably wont be using it, its still a decent amp.
But just do it temporarily, you want to get a nice cab to get the best from it.
Quote by mitchp420
The VJ is 8ohms isn't it?

The head takes 4, 8, or 16 ohm cabs.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
i Have already modded the vox to work and i also changed out thr speaker to a eminence ragin cajun. enen though i probably won't use the vox amp it's self i still can i just have to turn it on
what about the palomino? (wait for slats)

EDIT: i'm also extremely wary of people saying "with a pedal in front of it, a VJ can do anything"...

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what about the palomino? (wait for slats)

Best In Class!

Thanks for the opening, Dave.

In all honesty, I haven't had the opportunity to play the Royal 8, either, but the Palomino is the best of the $200 & under 5W amps I've had the pleasure of trying.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yeah, and i haven't tried the palomino... the royal 8 seemed pretty decent, but i don't know if the one i tried was broken, or whether the tokai strat i was using had really low output pickups, but i still had to crank it to get much dirt...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the royal 8 didn't seem to have much gain to it at all and not as much warmness, i thought it needed to be broken in maybe, but could be that it just wasn't too good. Blues and classic rock is pretty sweet on the palomino imo and when its cranked it really sings.
I have a Royal 8 that I practice with using a Les Paul. Plenty of dirt if set correctly. I put a DOD 250 reissue in front, crank the gain on both, even out the levels, and get a decently convincing Randy Rhodes tone (think Suicide Solution solo on Tribute). But maybe it's just how I play, because I can get that tone on any equipment I use, and it gets annoying sometimes. But yeah, Royal 8 is good if you use the knobbies correctly.
Quote by slatsmania
Best In Class!

Thanks for the opening, Dave.

In all honesty, I haven't had the opportunity to play the Royal 8, either, but the Palomino is the best of the $200 & under 5W amps I've had the pleasure of trying.

I second that motion!

Really i'd go with the Palomino it's got the EQ and if the V8 is anything like the V32 I tried it should sound great too.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by blackreign
But yeah, Royal 8 is good if you use the knobbies correctly.

+1.

I also own the Royal 8 and it's a great amp. I love it and recommend it. On its own its perfect for rock/blues, and with an OD pedal it'll do heavy distortion well too.