could any of u guys show me any tabs for middle eastern music. i want to learn some middle eastern sounding songs on acoustic. thanks!
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Sister Awake by the Tea Party

Tons of Tea Party song have a middle eastern flair to them.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I don't know which middle eastern culture you're shooting for, but the classic example is Egyptian music which can be approximated using harmonic minor:

---------------
---------------
---------------
------------1-2
------0-2-3----
0-1-4----

That strange sound is characteristic of Egyptian music as well as other types of music that might be thought of as being of "Islamic" origin today - though that is a somewhat inaccurate assumption. Music of the Arabs, Persians, Egyptians, etc. can be found by making small changes to the scale itself or to the way it is applied.

I'm not sure specifically how to get at Iranian music for instance, but h.minor should get you in the ballpark from a Western standpoint.

An interesting way to get different cultural sounds is to mess with pentatonic scales as well. Chinese, Japanese and Native American music can be approached this way - though obviously there is more to it. If you just want to bust out with a hardcore Chinese-sounding solo in some song, major pentatonics can get you there.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at Nov 19, 2007,
As a side note, a "correction" was made to harmonic minor during the Baroque period because the harmonic minor scale lends itself to flat fifths, the "devil's interval," which pops up incidentally all over Slayer's music, and a whole host of metal.

This was considered "devil's music" to the Christians at the time, who forbade Bach from using this "evil" compositional tool.

Considering they were slaughtering Muslims all over the Middle East - and this scale is reminiscent of their music - you can see why this sound may have been controversial. The Muslims were damned Heathens to the Christians who saw the Islamic people as barbarians responsible for slaughtering their people who "nobly" came to convert (and conquer) them.

Quote by x Misanthropy x
Learn wherever i may roam by metallica....PURE MIDDLE EASTER-NESS!!!1WAH11
and really fun to play

Or better yet, Musical Death by Testament.

Orpahned Land, metal with middle eastern influences, look for their gp if u have or tabs
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Sister Awake by the Tea Party

Tons of Tea Party song have a middle eastern flair to them.

You sir..... are awesome.

I'd recommend checking out halcyon days from the tea party.

edit: wow I just realized this was a really old thread.
Last edited by Rysel at Dec 7, 2008,