I'm looking to get a new amp and new pickups. For amp I'm thinking around $1000, but if there is a cheaper one that is fine. I really want to get a great clean tone, and a real gut-wrenching distortion. I'm willing to purchase a pedal or two as well, although I already have a Gt-8 which I can use (only if it makes significant difference). I was thinking about a vox valvetronix, JSX, Framus Cobra, and a Mesa Mark IV combo.

For pickups I currently have passive EMG's in my Jackson. I was thinking either EMG's (recommendations on combinations), SD's, or DiMarzios.

EDIT: Amp only has to be loud enough to play with a band, but you know what they say the bigger the better.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Nov 19, 2007,
what amps can you try easily?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what amps can you try easily?

I can try most mainstream (vox, fender, marshall) amps easily, the framus and the mesa I won't be able to get a hold of to play. But, I've heard soundclips and like the framus the best so far.

And by the way. A nice overdrive sound would be nice as well as I do like classic rock to.

Why can't one amp have it all????
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I used to own a Valvetronix, and while it's really great for a sub $400 amp, I would say that it the Mesa and the JSX blow it out of the water completely.
Do they sell Mesa's at Guitar Center? There's one about 45 minutes away from me. I usually go to Sam Ash.

EDT: Sorry I didn't mean Valvetronix got it mixed up. I meant something like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30CC2-30W-2x12-Custom-Classic-Combo?sku=482620
Quote by doggy_hat
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Do they sell Mesa's at Guitar Center? There's one about 45 minutes away from me. I usually go to Sam Ash.

You'd have to call, some Guitar Centers are dealers, some aren't.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm gonna say definitely the Peavey JSX for amp, and Seymour Duncan Blackouts for pups.
Quote by rwalby9
I'm gonna say definitely the Peavey JSX for amp, and Seymour Duncan Blackouts for pups.

What do the blackouts have over the EMG's?
Quote by doggy_hat
You'll be a lot happier with the cleans on the blackouts than EMGs, but the EMG 81/85 setup has a bit more punch on the high gain end. Blackouts are probably the next best thing to them, though. They also have less hum.
Any other suggestions ampwise?
Quote by doggy_hat
Its hard to find an amp that'll have great cleans and tough as nails distortion. The JSX is the only one I can really think of. Its an extremely versatile amp.

I'm not sure how the 6505 or XXX hold up to cleans, but their distortion is great. The Peavey Classics have great cleans from what I've heard. 5150 are amazing for distortion but you won't find any sort of quality cleans from them..

Mesa's are always an idea out there, but they don't have the same kind of balls that a 5150 or 6505 has. They do have cleans though, depending on the model.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Do they sell Mesa's at Guitar Center?

Not at the one near me.
some people will disagree, but the peavey valveking halfstack has more gain then you will ever need for metal plus a great clean tone.

but if you can afford the jsx go for it. are they really under 1000?
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
some people will disagree, but the peavey valveking halfstack has more gain then you will ever need for metal plus a great clean tone.

but if you can afford the jsx go for it. are they really under 1000?

You can find a used JSX head for about 800-900. You'd still need a cab, though.

The Valve Kings are good for the price, but if you really want high gain, they aren't your amp. You'd be much better off looking around for a used 5150 or 6505.
The 5150 seems to be great for the distortion, but from descriptions the clean tone is lacking. Seeing as I do use cleans quite often it's and important factor.

Does the JSX have the "balls", as well. The clean tone was smooth as silk, when I played it.

Opinions on the Framus? That's the one I'm considering most after I heard some awesome sound clips.

And my local GC does carry Mesa's so I'll check those out. I'm going to try to make a trip down there this weekend, but want to narrow my choices down.
Quote by doggy_hat
The Framus is everything a Recto wanted to be.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The Framus is everything a Recto wanted to be.

how are the cleans? The distortion must be amazing.
Quote by doggy_hat
The cleans are supposedly really good for a high-gainer.

EDIT: if you don't need rock crunch, you could consider a Fireball (good cleans and all-out br00tal).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The cleans are supposedly really good for a high-gainer.

EDIT: if you don't need rock crunch, you could consider a Fireball (good cleans and all-out br00tal).

Sounds good.
What about a triple rectifier. I can get a good deal on one of them. 1200+Black Friday+ Discount from friends bro who works there= cheap.
Quote by doggy_hat
depends how cheap you can get it. the cleans are nicer than a 5150, but still not great. EDIT: actually that's the dual i'm talking about- i haven't tried the triple.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 20, 2007,
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
The 5150 seems to be great for the distortion, but from descriptions the clean tone is lacking. Seeing as I do use cleans quite often it's and important factor.

Does the JSX have the "balls", as well. The clean tone was smooth as silk, when I played it.

Opinions on the Framus? That's the one I'm considering most after I heard some awesome sound clips.

And my local GC does carry Mesa's so I'll check those out. I'm going to try to make a trip down there this weekend, but want to narrow my choices down.

The JSX will do okay with high gain, but it has more of a higher sound than a low end punch. Try one out in the Ultra channel if you want to see what I'm talking about.

I'm not familiar with Framus, but I've heard the Cobras are nothing short of amazing. You also might want to consider as someone said the ENGL Fireball. Touch as nails distortion and better cleans than a 5150 by far.

I'd stay away from Mesa for death metal, but thats just my personal opinion.