Poll: Home recordings VS Pro recordings
Poll Options
View poll results: Home recordings VS Pro recordings
Home Recordings
10 67%
Pro Recordings
5 33%
Voters: 15.
hi. I have to do a speech for a class and im trying to get some rough statistics to make my professer happy. My speech is and informitive speech on home recording and i was planing on opening with a statistic. so i just want to know how many of you prefer recording at your home to recording at a professional studio? This is mainly regarding hobbyists and not pro musicians or bands because they would obviously opt for the professional sound.

and if your really feeling generous, you could post a little bit about why you prefer home recording to prorecording. or vise versa. thanks!
Old king cole was a merry old soul, a merry old soul was he.
He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl( ****ing stoner)
and he called information for numbers he could have easily looked up in the phone book.
^ might wanna check the riffs and recordings section, but you'll prolly get more "home" answers than anything else since thats the point of it. personally i prefer home cuz i can do it at my own pace and i don't have to pay anybody else anything, the only cost is what i've invested into my recording equipment and time. plus when mixing i know exactly how it should sound when mixed, i don't have to trust an inexperienced engineer (im not exactly "experienced" but i do have a friend who's done a LOT of mixing and he's always happy to help make a song sound as good as possible)
Quote by z4twenny
^ might wanna check the riffs and recordings section, but you'll prolly get more "home" answers than anything else since thats the point of it. personally i prefer home cuz i can do it at my own pace and i don't have to pay anybody else anything, the only cost is what i've invested into my recording equipment and time. plus when mixing i know exactly how it should sound when mixed, i don't have to trust an inexperienced engineer (im not exactly "experienced" but i do have a friend who's done a LOT of mixing and he's always happy to help make a song sound as good as possible)

I just want to say i love your avatar. I've seen it a million times but i just now looked at it and read it. I love watching that "diabeetus" guy in those AARP commercials (i think thats it?). They always come on during "the price is right."

Anyways, i chose home just because i'm really new to recording. I just plug my guitar in and play into a mic > computer > audacity. Nothing special at all. It's really easy to do, it's free, i don't have to know anything about recording, and if i screw up then i know it's my fault.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^ yeah, get yer diabeetus supplies through liberty mutual heheheheh..... his names wilford brimley, he used to do the commercials for quaker oats oatmeal too. also he was in cocoon and a host of other movies in the 70's and 80's (and i think a couple in the 90's) i'd love to burn a doobie with that man. i bet he rocks.
Wilford Brimley doth rock!!

I'd love to see a death match: Wilford Brimley versus Charles Bronson.

You will get a better grade, by the way, if you ask a better question. Home versus Pro for what? Expense? Artistic freedom? Sound quality?

Be specific. Home is better in terms of finances and freedom, pro is superior (most of the time) for sound and efficiency - it doesn't take six years to come up with an album, etc.

I record at home because I am broke. Same reason I drink at home.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

^ i've actually been to recording studios that charge $20-$30 an hour and don't sound much better than my home recordings. pro i would disagree being better at efficiency. if you've got everything hooked up right at home, all you have to do is turn on your recorder (or computer) and go, instead of packing up your gear and driving somewhere. as for taking 6 years, i figure, if you need 6 years to write an album (not only is there something seriously wrong) but also home is the best as you can do it at your leisure. i think you're assuming that at a recording studio you get a producer (which is not the case, record companies assign those, not studio)
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Wilford Brimley doth rock!!

I'd love to see a death match: Wilford Brimley versus Charles Bronson.

You will get a better grade, by the way, if you ask a better question. Home versus Pro for what? Expense? Artistic freedom? Sound quality?

Be specific. Home is better in terms of finances and freedom, pro is superior (most of the time) for sound and efficiency - it doesn't take six years to come up with an album, etc.

I record at home because I am broke. Same reason I drink at home.

well i did say home vs pro from the veiw of hobbyists, so i thought i was a specific enough question. thanks for your input however.
Old king cole was a merry old soul, a merry old soul was he.
He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl( ****ing stoner)
and he called information for numbers he could have easily looked up in the phone book.
I like home recording alot, because you can do stuff on your own time, and it feels less rushed. And plus, if you're thirsty, you can just go to your fridge. OR, if your fingers are bothering you a bit, you can just watch the game for a half hour, then go back.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I prefer recording at home because I like buying and owning all the great gear and using it.

Pro recording studios will sound a lot better as they have a ton of great gear but it can be costly to keep going there.

On the other hand

It is costly to set up to record at home too as you need just about the same gear pro studios have to get that same top notch sound.

But home recording setups have really come a long way and so the sounds from home studios are getting really good. with a good interface and a desktop PC you can do a lot these days.