Update: I've got some pictures, just scroll down a bit.

Any ideas on what this puppy is?
Last edited by ragnarqk at Nov 19, 2007,
Look, a vague desription, especially concerning colours is useless.

FFS please try and borrow a camera, even a phone one so we can se things like the body shape.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
pickup type? # of frets? exact length of neck? atleast a drawing of the pickguard would help. and a picture would get an immediate answer.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
From your drawing of the symbol on the headstock, I would say the manufacturer might be Kay musical instrument company. My friend has a very old Kay strat copy with that very same symbol on it. It may be from the Gold series, which were their "best" instruments. Most of their instruments are just old budget department store gear that you could probably find at Sears back in their time. I think they still produce instruments, but I believe mostly are student upright basses and acoustic guitars.

I hope I am not totally wrong about your bass.
You have on your hands what looks to be a vintage Kay bass. That's the good news. Bad news? Well, its not worth much even to collectors.

Kay, along with Harmony and to a lesser extent Danelectro (who produced Sears "Silvertone" guitars in the 60s), was a mass producer of "House brands". Like someone said above, they were sold through Sears, J C Penny's and Wards in their catalogs and stores. Kind of the First Act / Wal Mart deal of their era. Here's a link for more info...

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/other.html#kay
Quote by anarkee
You have on your hands what looks to be a vintage Kay bass. That's the good news. Bad news? Well, its not worth much even to collectors.

Kay, along with Harmony and to a lesser extent Danelectro (who produced Sears "Silvertone" guitars in the 60s), was a mass producer of "House brands". Like someone said above, they were sold through Sears, J C Penny's and Wards in their catalogs and stores. Kind of the First Act / Wal Mart deal of their era. Here's a link for more info...

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/other.html#kay

Heh, cool. Well the bad news is alright with me because I'm not in it for the collector's value. I got it really cheap, and if it sounds good then I'll use it Thanks for all your help, everyone.
Anarkee is correct. Kay's vintage uprights bring a little money, but the electric's don't bring much. good find, and good luck with the new toy.