I have a Jag, they admittedly have their differences, but it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played and I love their sound. Mine has a buzzstop and I use D'Addario Flatwound Chrome .11's. No issues to speak of as far as bridge issues. If you really want lighter strings or don't want a buzzstop for some reason then it doesn't cost too much to get a mustang bridge, but I prefer to keep things more original.
My attempt at gear-
Fender Jaguar (limited edition Cream with gold hardware.)
Goya Rangemaster (1967 Italian Archtop)
Martin SWDGT Acoustic.
Vox AD50VT.
Ibanez Tubescreamer, Wasabi Delay, MXR BLUE BOX.
A jazzmaster was the first electric guitar i ever played I am going to buy one once i have saved enough.
They are so exspensive.I've wanted one ever since I started listening to Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr.
Definitely play one before you make the plunge. I don't know if I'd say its for everyone. Personally, I love them. They sound great played through a tube amp (hopefully you have one) and even better if you've got a strat player along side. The Jazzmaster is really unique in its tone and feel, as you'll note when you first play it. Fool around with some different settings and see if you find what you're looking for in the JM... If you do, I'd give it a 100% recommendation. If not, I'd move on. They're awfully expensive, but if thats what you're looking for, go for it.
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed