Hey guys!

Lol catchy title!

I'm thinking about upgrading my head unit soon and i have considered this head unit http://gallien-krueger.com/products_artist_hd_1001.html#

First of all,

would it be good for powering my Warwick cab, the cab is 900watts handling at 6ohms. what do you think?

Secondly,

Is this tube or Solid state?

any help would be awesome

'Marlin.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Last edited by flyingmarlin at Nov 19, 2007,
LOL at the title!
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
It's a solid state, all of GK's heads are SS except for one new one which is a hybrid (tube preamp, solid state power amp) although I have yet to see it anywhere except GK's website.

That would work fine, better then fine actually. That's a very good head, excellent tone.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
It's a solid state, all of GK's heads are SS except for one new one which is a hybrid (tube preamp, solid state power amp) although I have yet to see it anywhere except GK's website.

That would work fine, better then fine actually. That's a very good head, excellent tone.

to you does all the wattage work out fine?

i always like to double check my ideas, because i have a habit of messing stuff up!

Help me to live.

Quote by theWallofYAWN
wet, sloppy, and lots of suction please.

coming right up babe x

god i regret making the title related to male genitalia

Help me to live.

Ohhhh, I didn't see the 6 ohm, that's an odd rating.

Well figure going running a 4 ohm head into an 8 ohm cabinet will (usually) reduce your heads wattage by anywhere from 20%-50% (best case scenario vs. worst) so into a 6 ohm cabinet will reduce your power by around 35% or 40% at the most.

Technically your head and cabinet's ohm rating should always match but if your head is rated lower than it should be ok from what I've heard and read. (for example, a 4 ohm head and an 8 ohm cab, or a 2 ohm head and a 4 ohm cab) And that head you posted achieves it's maximum power at 4 ohm so you should be ok.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
^ wicked cheers

Help me to live.

Quote by hatebreed219
Ohhhh, I didn't see the 6 ohm, that's an odd rating.

Well figure going running a 4 ohm head into an 8 ohm cabinet will (usually) reduce your heads wattage by anywhere from 20%-50% (best case scenario vs. worst) so into a 6 ohm cabinet will reduce your power by around 35% or 40% at the most.

Technically your head and cabinet's ohm rating should always match but if your head is rated lower than it should be ok from what I've heard and read. (for example, a 4 ohm head and an 8 ohm cab, or a 2 ohm head and a 4 ohm cab) And that head you posted achieves it's maximum power at 4 ohm so you should be ok.

For the record, it doesn't matter what your head's ohmage is because it doesn't have any ohms. Ohms are a measurement of electrical impedance, and, as the head does not impede (remove voltage from) the current, the head's "ohmage" could be anything at all. What that rating means is that the head pumps x watts into an x ohm cab. So if the head says 4 ohms, and the wattage is 200 watts, then if you're running into a 4 ohm cab (or two 8 ohm) it will pump 200 watts. It does this, because the heads wattage is 200 watts only if the cab is taking 4 ohms worth from the current. If it's taking less, than the wattage from the head would increase, and if it's taking more, the wattage the head is pumping would decrease.

Just some general information.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
For the record, it doesn't matter what your head's ohmage is because it doesn't have any ohms. Ohms are a measurement of electrical impedance, and, as the head does not impede (remove voltage from) the current, the head's "ohmage" could be anything at all. What that rating means is that the head pumps x watts into an x ohm cab. So if the head says 4 ohms, and the wattage is 200 watts, then if you're running into a 4 ohm cab (or two 8 ohm) it will pump 200 watts. It does this, because the heads wattage is 200 watts only if the cab is taking 4 ohms worth from the current. If it's taking less, than the wattage from the head would increase, and if it's taking more, the wattage the head is pumping would decrease.

+1. Couldn't say it better.
BTW, nice title.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Quote by FbSa
I'd say look at mesa boogie. *In a real rough manly voice* Yeeeaaah, it'll put hair on your chest./voice

I'm not a huge fan of GK's so I like to look around. Hartke and Ashdown make good heads also.

I have tried ashdown and hartke, got to admit they were nice BUT i weren't really digging it.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel

You just finally explained it all to me!

i am forever in your debt

cheers dude

Help me to live.

Last edited by flyingmarlin at Nov 20, 2007,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

<- pwnt

Seriously though, thanks for clearing that up. Now would be a good time for the "The More You Know" star.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10